Forte Dei Marmi or Santa Margherita???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are trying to decide where to go the first week of our honeymoon (our 2nd week will be in Florence), and we're trying to choose between Forte dei Marmi and Santa Margherita. We'd like to be able to get to Cinque Terre easily. We're not looking for nightlife or clubbing. We're just looking to relax, sit by a pool, and eat. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 01:57 PM

I spent 4 days at Santa Margherita Ligure in early December. I like it very much. Lots of good restaurants, shops etc. Makes a great base for the Italian Riviera. It is only 3 km from Portofino. Many people walk to Portofino along the sea or you can use the bus which runs back and forth all day and evening. Also it is very easy to take the train to the other coastal towns such as Rapallo, Camogli, Sestre Levante, Genoa, CT villages etc. I stayed at the Best Western Hotel Laurin (4 star)which is right in town and on the water at the yacht marina. They have a nice pool on the top floor facing the sea. All rooms have terrace and face the sea. Good buffet breakfast included and very reasonably priced also. I will stay there again soon.

Larry J
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:17 PM

We also stayed in Santa Margherita Ligure three years ago. It is a great town which I would love to go back to. It has some nice restaurants and a lot to do. My impression at the time was that most of the tourists were Italians from the Milan area.
It was an easy train ride to Cinque Terre and, although we didn't make it there, to Genoa as well. We stayed in the Hotel Fasce, which we liked. It's a few blocks off the main drag, but quiet. Alas, I don't think they had a pool.
Others on this board are very partial to Portovenere. I have not been there, but have heard a lot of good things. You should do a topic search under both of them.
Good luck.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:32 PM

SML is a good choice. Stay at the Laurin or the Continental for 4 stars and Hotel Jolanda for 3 star.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:16 PM

I agree, SML is a good choice. Great location to navigate from, and the town is charming, not too big, not too small. We stayed at the Hotel Continental and were very satisfied. If you need specific information that I can answer, I would be happy to accommodate you.