Prague Restaurants - Something special for a thank you dinner

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending five nights with friends in Prague and need suggestions on a really good place to take them as a thank you. I wouldn't go quite as far as "money is no object" but we are certainly prepared to spend up.

The couple we are staying with will have often eaten themselves at all the very good restaurants, so just simply choosing a very expensive one is not necessarily the way to go. They will probably know it well. They are keen gourmands.

All suggestions are welcome but if you happen to know of something a bit different that perhaps that may not have tried, that would be great.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:41 AM

Hi shandy,

Let me preface with this: I am not really a foodie.

Now, a couple of suggestions: Kampa Park is great, very "foodie" and has a beautiful view of Charles Bridge. It is owned by the Kampa Group (www.kampagroup.com), and all of their restaurants are good.

Also, there is a restaurant in Prague 2 called Aromi (www.Aromi.cz) that is Italian/seafood, and it is quite good. More off the path, I think.

Trattoria Cicala is great, a bit of a whole in the wall as far as location, but excellent food. Very authentic Italian food--owned and operated by an Italian, I believe. Don't know if this is a big stop for people who live here, but from the photos on the walls, evidently everyone who films in Prague has eaten there! (http://trattoria.cicala.cz)

Another: more casual but good Restaurance Stoleti (www.stoleti.cz). Not sure if I would categorize it as gourmet, but you can look.

Finally, the opera house has a very good restaurant associated with it--trendy decor, good food. That might work also. (zahrada v opere --garden in the opera with the State Opera Prague)

And, in case you need a good breakfast/brunch option, you can't miss with Cafe Savoy.

I hope this helps some.

Enjoy your visit!
MP
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:48 AM

Kampa Park certainly is a fine restaurant. There is another in the park by the river can't remember it's name, but for something REALLY special try.....
Flambee Restaurant
Husova 5
Old Town
http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=362
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, Shandy - i can endorse the recommendation for the restaurant attached to the opera. very light, tasty beautifully presented dishes, half the price you'd pay in the rest of europe.

i was so impressed with my dessert I took a picture on my phone and sent it home to my DD.

Also the restaurants which are part of the city hall look pretty good. we ate in the one in the basement twice [great roast goose with all the trimmings] and looked at the one upstairs, but it was a bit pricey for us.

good luck!
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:44 AM

Not much to look at, but certainly great "foodie" cuisine, David in Mala Strana is a good bet.

Le Perle in the Fred/Ginger buiding for fancy French food and ethereal views of Prague.

Pravda for trendy, fashionista food on Pariska Street.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 04:56 AM

We had a lovely meal at David over Christmas. Have a look at the web site to get an idea of the menu.

http://www.restaurant-david.cz/en/about.php

The nearby Aquarius restaurant in the 5* Alchymist hotel also looked good but a bit more pricey. The Golden Pear (U Zlate Hrusky) has an excellent reputation. Have a look on here for more ideas

http://www.inyourpocket.com/cr/pragu...2&chid=112
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:14 AM

www.squaremeal.cz
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:37 AM

ttt
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will have to spend a bit of time investigating them and I will, at the least, have a list of proposed places and can ask our hosts if there is one that appeals to them.

For myself, I had originally been thinking of Kampa Park but more because it sounds wonderful to me with the great view.

I'm still happy to receive any further recommendations.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 07:45 AM

If you search under In Your Pocket Prague you will find good annotated notes on many restaurants.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Whilst I have dined at the Zavrada v. Opere, listed above, I don't think it is "special." The whimsical decor and good wine list is what makes this place. The food is good, but more of the type of food I would eat at lunch.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 11:25 AM

We ate at David twice when we were in Prague. The first night was enchanting, because the manager who took care of us added to making it so. The second was OK, but both times the food was incredible. The special pork tenderloin will live in my mind forever. So you can't miss for quality of food.
So, not nearly as fancy as Kampa Park, but I vote for it as well.