Prague Restaurants

Nov 9th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Prague Restaurants

I've read in my guidebook and on the forums to beware of overpricing in Prague restaurants. How prevelant is this? Are there restaurants that we can trust? This is absolutely going to ruin my husband's vacation!
Nov 9th, 2005, 06:39 PM
rex

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34688205

and

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34649303

I thought Kampa Park was overpriced, but it's the kind of place where you know it's expensive going in - - and no one has had anything good to say about it since quite a while now.

See also www.livingprague.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Nov 10th, 2005, 12:49 PM
rex

topping...
Nov 10th, 2005, 03:11 PM

You don't have ot overpay in Prague restaurants if you don't want to. Go to areas that don't have many tourists, learn what the locals pay and keep that in mind when choosing restaurants. By the way "overpricing" can be a relative term. We thought that we got good value for our crowns spent on food.
Nov 18th, 2005, 07:36 PM

As a rule the restaurant prices in Prague are reasonable.

We were in Prague Chrismas 2002... the only restaurant open was the Salvia Kavarna. Wonderful place where many locals go. Across the street from the National Theatre and it overlooks the river. We ate there a few times.

We selceted a restaurant recommened on the DK Eywitness tour book called the Red Wheel and had a special lunch at a resonable price.

The only meal I regrete was a Japanese meal we had in a restaurant on Nardoni on the first night of our arrival. Overpriced soso food. For many reasons, we dont know better, don'y now better, jugemet is clowded after overnight flight, hunger makes me grumpy our first dinner in Europe is usually the worst of our trip.

Nov 19th, 2005, 01:45 AM
jeg

Did you mean just overpricing or adding extra charges to the meal? There were several places where we were charged cover charges, but they were mentioned on the menu. There were also a couple of places where "mistakes" were made on the bill, but we learned to just check the bill carefully and asked if we had questions. Maybe this isn't an issue in the less touristy places.
Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:47 AM

I was recently in Prague for 6 days and had no problem finding reeasonably priced restaurants, even in the center. All restaurants have menus with prices posted outside, so there is no problem walking around and comparing. Just ask whether the prices include taxes (they almost always do) and whether they accept credit cards. Tipping 10% is normal. If you are a non-smoker - beware ! Few places have no-smoking areas and many locals light up between courses ! A place I liked was "Clementinum" on Platneska St., just north of the Charles Bridge. Good, simple and inexpensive.