Prague Opera Tickets

Search

Prague Opera Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague Opera Tickets

I will be in Prague next week for 3 days during my too-brief trip to Poland, the Czech Republic and Berlin. While I am in Prague I would like to attend the Opera. More specifically, I would like to see Don Giovanni at the Estates' Theater Thursday night September 4. I found a website where I might book a ticket but wondered if I should do that before I leave or wait until I get to Prague to arrange that. I didn't know if there was an opportunity to purchase tickets the day of the performance that would be at a lesser cost -- or if I would risk not getting a seat by not booking ahead.Since I will be traveling alone, I only need one ticket to any given performance. If there are other classical performances that anyone can recommend during my stay Sept. 3,4 and 5 (leaving on the 6th), I would appreciate those thoughts as well.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 07:38 PM

If you know exactly what you want to see and when, I sure would book it. Prague Opera tickets are really cheap to begin with in comparison to most cities, so I wouldn't miss that opportunity for a few dollars. I think some theaters in Prague (like the national) do have some real cheap tickets, although I don't know if it's related to the day of performance or not. The reason they are real cheap is because they are obstructed view. That isn't very far away, but Prague performing arts events frequently get sold out if they are good. Although that opera does play there quite frequently, so maybe not so much.

Those online ticket agencies in Prague that I know of have a very minimal service charge, as I recall, I sure wouldn't wait if I wanted a good seat. However, if you just want to go and don't care about the seat, I think you can wait. They often have real cheap seats or even standing room at the opera houses, whereas those online brokers tend to only sell the most expensive seats.
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 07:45 PM

You can book your ticket online, via fax, etc. first and then pick it up in Prague.

There is a pickup office just off of the Old Town Square. However, there are probably more than one pickup office.

We did this a few years and I'm sorry I don't have more precise information.

We paid at the time of pickup. As Christina has said, prices are extremely reasonable and the performances could be world class.

Enjoy!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 07:49 PM

i just booked seats for november for la boheme at about 33 euro each plus a 9 euro service charge for delivery to my hotel....very pleasant to deal with..

site: www.czechopera.cz
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 05:35 AM
Mat

Went and saw the same opera, same place, and loved it. It is not to be missed! We bought our tickets from a central ticketing location just next to the National Theatre where we got discounts. The ticket office is just across the street from the national, on the ground floor of a new modern theatre. Note one thing: The opera has a translation running above the stage, but it is in czeck - there are no english translations. However, to see Don G in the very place it debuted is a real treat. See the movie Amadeus ahead of time to get a 'then and now' view as it was filmed right there and in the environs.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:15 AM

I think that opera runs pretty much all the time in Prague, as I have seen it for the past several months when checking offerings.

You might also ask your hotel to get you the tickets, then you won't waste any time hunting for the box office and potentially finding it closed for lunch, etc when you get there. I usually contact the concierge at my hotel for these kinds of things and have never paid other than the face price of the ticket. (Of couse a small tip for the concierge is in order). A real time saver I find.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all who replied! I find this message board to be a wonderful help. I decided to take Christina's advice and just go ahead and book my tickets. I tried the online booking yesterday morning and am eagerly awaiting the reply (it says I will have my reply by "next evening&quotto see what they say. Does anyone have any other suggestions for evening or daytime performances to attend, should I manage to squeeze something else in while I am there?
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know how long I should wait to hear from the web site (www.czechopera.cz)where I ordered tickets? I ordered yesterday morning and still have not heard anything back from them. I leave Friday and would like to be able to confirm this before I leave. Thanks.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 09:29 AM

sorry, I'm not sure as I bought mine through a different vendor (ticketpro). I have had a few times when Czech online ticket sellers did not respond for several days, though, which was longer than I expected. That was for a question, though, not when I had purchased.

As for other performances, I would go by the Klementinum near Charles Bridge and see what they have going on. They have very good frequent smaller-scale performances (lots of chamber music) at a modest price and the acoustics in their room seemed very good to me. The room itself is beautiful, also, and I don't think you can see it otherwise. After that, I'd look for chamber music performances at the National Museum. They get a lot of good people there, again at a modest price. Performances are not too long as you have to sit on the steps (dress casually). This is okay for a while but not the most comfortable thing. I heard the Stamitz Quartet there who were just wonderful.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

I just received my confirmation so everything looks good to go! I will check out the other performance suggestions you mentioned Christina. Thanks again to everyone!