Search

Prague: Opera/Classical concert tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague: Opera/Classical concert tickets

Hello,

I will be in Prague in March (23-29) and would like to see Rigoletto and a classical concert during our stay.
Do I really need to make a reservation/purchase tickets in advance?
I have checked several websites per recommendation from this forum however and I made an attempt to make a purchase but did not provide me a choice of seating - only shows "best seating and list row numbers" I thought there was one particular website that allows you to view and make a choice on available seats?

Thank you.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:56 PM

I can't advise you on the opera as I don't even know where Rigoletto is, but I think I did buy opera tickets at the National Theatre and was able to specify (or at least see before purchase) my seat. As I recall, the National Theatre's own website had a seating chart and showed you what was available. I don't remember about the other time, but I think I bought them by email from an agency, and they told me what seat it would be (ticketpro.cz).

But, as for classical concerts -- well, it depends where and who is playing. There are many concerts in Prague all over and you won't need to reserve ahead for them. Some very nice venues are the Klementium and the national musem (near Muzeum metro). They both have frequent chamber music recitals there for low costs with some very good groups. There are also often concerts in some churches.

However, if there is someone special you want to hear at the Rudolfinum or something, it could be sold out. I know once I wanted to see a special one-time only performance with Ashkenazy as conductor of the PRague Symphony and tickets were sold out about two months ahead.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:28 PM

In our experience the theater in Prague seems to always have some t ickets for tourist. Probably a bit more expensive, but very cheap for international standarts. I went to the ticket booth of the Opera House and bought same day tickets. Very good tickets by the way.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

thank you both for your kind replies.

Yes I was thinking of booking ahead the Rigoletto ticket (State Opera) and then purchase the classical one on the spot; will check directly at the venue website. thanks again.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Also, be sure to take advantage of the mini-classical concerts that happen at churches and smaller venues throughout the city. I saw a wonderful Vivaldi program at a small church that was the highlight of my trip and it was so inexpensive it was crazy.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:09 AM

Ditto on the small concerts in the curches. Folks will hand out flier to you right and left for these. We went to one at St. Nicholas church (the one on the castle side of the river) and it was a truly memorable experience. (and cheap!)