Search

Tickets for Estates Theater, Prague

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tickets for Estates Theater, Prague

Hello,
We will be in Prague in August & would like to see a concert at Estates Theater. Looks like Best Selection of Mozart is our only choice on Aug 3. I can order tickets online from www.ticketsbti.cz/WBS/ang. Tickets for 4 are 189 US dollars. Does this seem reasonable? I hesitate to buy tickets when we arrive because August is the high season for tourism.
Thanks.
Karen
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 10:52 PM

If I am correct this is the same concert I went to a couple of years ago. It was an hour long(and I mean exactly 60 minutes) concert with 2 singers and 4 musicians,we paid over 1200czk for VIP tickets and were dissapointed.The concert was very good but the price way over the top for 60 minutes in comparison to seeing a full Opera in the same place the previous year for 850czk with seats in one of the main boxes.
Look to see if they have cheaper seats in other parts of the theatre and go for them,the place is quite small and for this type of concert paying top dollar IMHO is just not worth it.
Look to see if there are any full Opersa on and book one of those as you will find it as cheap if not cheaper than this concert.
There are always lots of tourist type concerts on in places all over the sity and we you arrive check out the tourist offices as they will have lots of info on them,you will find people in the street hading you flyers for various tourist concerts and you will find them a great deal cheaper than this one.St Georges Crypt in the castle area usually has concerts on as does the Municiple House.
BTW Ticketsbti (Bohemia Tickets) are highly reputable and reliable,I have in the past arraged tickets to be sent to my hotel with no problems ,but I think now most of the places can produce E-Tickets that makes life much easier.
Hope this all helps.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

thanks, unclegus, for your reply. I decided to order the tickets for the Best of Mozart concert through Ticketsbti because we really want to see a performance at the Estates Theater. My guidebook suggests that if you only see one show while in Prague, it should be at the Estates. Also, there isn't a huge selection in August. If my memory serves me correctly, a full opera isn't playing when we are there. There are some marionnette shows and performances at the black light theater but those don't interest us as much.

Glad to hear, though, that Ticketsbti is reputable. I ordered the tickets that cost 850 czk. We don't have assigned seats, though. I was told we just look for available seats in our price category. Do you know how early we should arrive in order to get 4 seats together?
Thanks again.
karen
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 05:05 AM

About 20 minutes or so before the performance should be plenty ( I don't think they let you in much before then anyway),there is usually a bar available as well.
It is a lovely theatre and where Mozart premiered Don Giovani,it is also the place that was used for the interior shots for the Film Amedeus.
Hope you enjoy it.It has been 3 weeks since I was in Prague and another 11 months till I get there again.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Tickets Bohemia is perfectly reliable, they have an office where you can buy tickets in Prague. August isn't performing arts season in any city in W Europe or US, although Prague has opera performances later than most cities. That price seems okay to me for something geared to tourists.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Unclegus and Christina!! I can't wait to go to Prague & we will also be visiting Cesky Krumlov, Telc & Karlovy Vary!!!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:12 PM

Hi Kwoo / Karen - we keep bumping into each other here but we won't in CR since you're going early and I'm going late in August! I only wanted to add 2 cents - unrelated sorta - that we sought a tour of the Estates Theatre the last week in August since we'll be visiting during their break. The price for the two of us was $240 USD! We decided to take a pass due to the very high price (by about x 10, I thought). So I think the prices for actual tickets to an actual event are going to be high, too. Too bad we couldn't HEAR or SEE something while there! ;-[ Kathleen
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kathleen,
Where else are you going in Czech Republic? I think you are taking the bus tour to Cesky Krumlov, right? Have you been to Prague before and if so, what time of year? We were there in October 2003 & I loved traveling at that time of year - no crowds & comfortable sightseeing weather (chilly but fine if you had a warm coat.) I'm a little concerned about the crowds in August but that is the only time of year we could go
this time.

Where are you staying in prague? Enjoy your trip!
Karen
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Hi Karen: I was in Prague in August '03 but only for 2 days; this time for 5 days / 4 nights and we'll be staying in Prague except for the day trip to CK. It was crowded in August '03 and I expect it will be crowded this trip but, like you, it is now or never. Our main destination this trip is Berlin for the IAAF track meet 13 - 23 August, with Prague as an add-on. We're doing a 4-hour city and river tour including dinner on the boat the first night we get there. I did the shorter day-time version when I was there last time and really enjoyed that. We're staying at U Zlate Studny in Old Town near Charles Bridge (not to be confused with the hotel of the same name across the river in Mala Strana). What is your itinerary? I think you're leaving in early August, yes? How long will you be gone? Where are you staying in Prague? Happy trails, Kathleen
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
While in Cesky Krumlov, do make sure to get tickets for a tour of the baroque theater at the castle. It is separate from the castle tour. The theater is one of the two remaining baroque theaters left (and it is supposedly the better preserved.) They only have a few tours per day and only allow 10 people on each tour due to preservation concerns. I think you can order tickets online before you go.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Joan - After searching the castle's site I found the baroque theatre. Wow - the pictures are incredible! Did you take both the castle and the theatre tours? Do you recommend anything else? I did not realize there was more than one tour. I will keep fiddling with this to see if I can get ticket reservations for our day there, August 28th. THANKS, Kathleen
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM

We were in Cesky Krumlov 10 days ago and went on both the general castle tour #1 (there are two) and the Baroque Theater tour. We just walked up about 1PM and got tickets for both. There were a couple of dozen people on our tour. The Baroque Theater is definitely worth seeing.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM

I meant to say there were a couple of dozen people on ourBaroque Theater tour. The general castle tour group was larger.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kathleen,
We are staying in Prague when we first arrive for 4 nights/3 full days. Then we are renting a car and driving to Cesky Krumlov for 2 nights and then on to Telc for one night. Then we return to Prague for a night so our oldest daughter can leave the next day for home for a conference. Then my husband, younger daughter & myself are driving to Karlovy Vary for 2 nights; then we return to Prague for one more night & return home the next day. We are staying at the Pension Dientzenhofer in Mala Strana, where we stayed in 2003. We love the location, convenient to everything but quiet. We are leaving Aug 1 - can't wait!!!

Thanks to Joan and jrjcollins for the info about the baroque theater tour. I haven't read about that yet so it's nice to have a heads up. What else did you do in Cesky Krumlov? Where did you stay? We are staying at Zlaty Andel (Golden Angel).
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Yes, I did both the theater and the castle tour. Certainly worth it! Didn't walk the gardens although there are suppose to be beautiful... just didn't have the time.

I arrived in CK about 3pm by bus from Prague and was catching the Lobo shuttle to Linz (on my way to Vienna) at 11am the next day so didn't have enough time there. Did the castle tour the afternoon upon arrival and the theater tour at 10am the next morning and ran like a fool to make sure I didn't miss the shuttle! ;-)

Other than the castle tours, I just strolled this quaint, gorgeous town and took loads of beautiful pictures! And, had a lovely dinner... sorry, I don't remember the name of the restaurant although it was on the road into town from the bus station on the right-hand side right before you reach the square.

I stayed at the Hotel Dvorak... my room did not look like the pictures on their website. My room was very worn and in need of lots of TLC (although the bathroom was very nice). Thin mattressses and pillows. Breakfast was ok, staff not very friendly.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM

Joan, JRJ: Thanks a lot for this information, and I am happy to know I don't have to race to the castle in the AM to book tours in the PM. The Baroque Theatre looks fascinating. We are planning to go with the city's guided tour in the AM, after a bus trip from Prague, then go to the castle for the #1 (skipping #2) and the Baroque Theatre for the afternoon. After that, I expect we will head toward the river for a beer, food and a stroll, then bus back to Prague.

Karen: Sounds like a great family outing for you. When will you be back online? I'd like to hear about the CK leg of your trip when you return. We're off August 13 - will you be back before then? If not, let's compare notes afterwards! Kathleen
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kathleen,
We return on August 13. Will you have access to a computer while you are in Prague? I will post a trip report when we return. What day are you going to CK? If you can access the travel forum while you are away, I could try to at least write about CK soon after we return. Yes, we'll have to compare notes! Karen
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 05:41 AM

Karen and Kathleen,

Have a wonderful time! I loved Prague and C.Krumlov so much I think I could retire there!!!

Looking forward to reading your reports!
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Karen, I (and Joan, too!) will be delighted to read whatever you can manage after your CK trip. We're there on 28 August. We're taking a laptop and expect to hook up to WiFi along the way. I think I was able to get a reservation for the 10:30 AM walking tour through CK old town but I have not been able figure out how to buy castle & theatre tickets ahead of time. I will try to do this when I get to Prague, else we will just have to take our chances on that. I know you must be getting as excited as I am. Kathleen
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Kwoo
regarding crowds: I just returned and it was HELL! Crowded like Oktoberfest!
I would never go back between July and September.

SV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -