Classical Music in Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In reviewing the guide books and internet, it seems there is so much choice in Prague that it is mind-boggling. For example, if you pick an opera, say La Traviata, you can find it being performed somewhere on any given day. You can even see Don Giovanni performed in the Marionette Theatre! Of course, there are the two major Symphony Orchestras and members of those orchestras who sometimes perform with other groups for special performances at lesser-known venues. And I thought this would be easy! In addition, there are many internet ticket agencies to choose from or tour guides or concierges willing to get tickets for you ahead of time. Is it necessary to get tickets ahead of time especially if you are just one person. I have never had a problem getting a ticket at the door anywhere when I travel alone. I was wondering if this would be different in Prague where symphony and opera seems to be taken more seriously.
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:45 PM

That's often the case in a lot of major capital cities, but yes, Prague is very interested in classical music and opera. It really depends what you want to see. Tickets to certain perforamcnes at Dvorak Hall can indeed be sold out ahead of time, as well as popular ballets. Both those are more limited. If you just want to see one of the bazillion performances of the operas that are there continuously (eg, Don Giovanni), maybe not. And if you just want one of the tourist concerts, definitely no need to reserve in advance (like the "arias" concerts they have in St Nicholas church or whatever).

There are also times of the year when things are more sold out. Many of the big draws at their annual Music Festival are sold out months ahead of time.

I've bought my tickets directly from the National Theatre's website once, and from www.ticketpro.cz another couple times. I think I used Bohemia Ticket once, also.
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM

I had the same problem when trying to make decisions for our upcoming trip to Prague. You can narrow your choices down a bit by figuring out what's being performed when you'll be in Prague. I used Bohemia Tickets www.bohemiaticket.cz because someone here on Fodor's said it's one of the sites that let you pick your seats (which for our event, it did). As it happens, neither of the major orchestras are performing when we'll be there.

I did find that for one of the performances that we will be attending, it was almost totally sold out by the time I bought the tickets - I don't know if that's customary. But you can track what tickets and seats are available for a given performance by using Bohemia Tickets.

Old May 10th, 2008, 12:05 AM

I was in Prague in January and attended classical music performances in the big three locations: State Opera, National Theatre, Rudolfinum. I purchased tickets the day of performance or one or two days in advance. No problems, but in case you are planning to attend a really excellent performance then buy your ticket in advance through the respective theatre's website or bohemiaticket.

Please keep in mind that quantity has nothing to do with quality. I found the Czech Philharmonic orchestra to be very good (Rudolfinum) - but the Prague Philharmonic is not. Also, Swan Lake in the State Opera was music-wise disappointing, the orchestra is probably not *that* good. Cannot comment on the National Theatre's company since I attended a performance of the Slovakia National Opera company on tour (poor, very poor).
Old May 10th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice about Bohemia ticket also known as www.ticketsbti.cz. I have also discovered www.ticketsonline.cz which gives you a diagram of the seating and the price in Czech Kc. although I wonder if they will start using the Euro since hotels already are. By the way, what has the exchange rate been lately?
This month they are having the Spring Festival kicking things off with the full version of Smetena's Ma Vlast and I believe, ending with Dvorak. How exciting it would be to attend that!
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:00 AM

They are still on the Koruna. Exchange rate at the moment is 1 Euro = approx. 25 CZK.
That means 1 USD = approx. 16 CZK. Horrible IMO.
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:24 AM

Wow, that exchange rate really sucks! When I first started going (10 years ago), the rate was closer to 38 or 40 Koruna to $1 !!!

Anyway, certain venues and certain productions do sell out, especially during the main season. Summer is a toss-up, because the tourist stuff is playing, and Prague is a lot different culturally in those months. Out of town festivals are more popular then (Cesky Krumlov, etc). You could always ask your hotel for help, also. They can check to see if events are near sell out, and help you purchase ahead of time. Most of the time, I've found using ticket agencies unnecessary.
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:31 AM

I was in Prague in July, 2004. I stayed at the Esplande Hotel which is right across the street from the Prague Opera. The concierge at the hotel told me that she could get me tickets to an opera if I wanted them.

There are so many classical music venues in Prague. When you walk down the street, people hand you flyers with info. on concert venues. You could probably spend you entire holiday just going to concerts in Prague!

Don't worry about finding music concerts in Prague; they are everywhere.

Thin
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

I will be in Prague for a week in Sept. In addition to the Czech Philharmonic and Prague Symphony Orchestras, and the various opera companies, there is also the Prague Autumn Festival going on with visiting orchestras from all over the world including the Budapest Gipsy Symphony Orchestra performing Hundred Gipsy (their spelling) Violins! All the programs seem first-rate so it almost comes down to where you feel like attending a concert rather than what's playing! However, I am afraid of spending too much money ahead of time for tickets, and then, God forbid, the trip gets cancelled. On the other hand, when you are jet-lagged, and not staying near box offices, it would be nice to have your tickets ahead of time, and just go.....
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone had experience with Via Musica on Old Town Square? How are the prices and selection of classical music CD's? Also, has anyone used them to purchase concert tickets? It seems like a nice option to pop in there at the beginning of your vacation to get the tickets you want. The jury is still out about whether to purchase tickets online ahead of time.
Old May 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM

I have to put in a plug for Don Giovanni performed in the Marionette Theatre. It was so funny and absolutely loved it. Very LARGE marionetes. Never would have thought to go except our travel agent in Greece had seen it and said it was a must do. Laughed and it was extremely charming. Would do it again. You can walk to the threatre if you are close to the center/clock.
Old May 26th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, southeastern. I was thinking of going to the Don Giovanni Marionettes but there is also the opportunity to see the actual opera at the Estates Theatre as well.. do the marionettes have an orchestra or is it piped in music or a pianist accompanying? My friends just got back from Prague and went to 10 concerts in 5 days!
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:53 PM

It's piped in music. It's funny. We went to an opera and enjoyed it too. It was Nubutto (sp) by verdi. Good. The seats are hard as a rock in Giovanni and no air conditioning, so was hot. I still recommend it highly, especially if you have seen it done in the theatre at home. Promise you'll laugh. Never would have thought to do it, but as I said our Greek travel agent insisted. Glad he did.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

OK, southeastern. You convinced me. I'll go to both since there are several performances and matinees, etc. and how can you get tired of hearing Mozart (or Verdi, as the case may be!)? Steve