Boyfriend's 1st visit to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going with my bf to Paris at the end of the month - his 1st time - I've been several times to visit friends. I want this to be a great trip for him but need some help. If it was just me, I'd roam all day, shop and eat at the cafes. That won't work entirely for him (it's all about compromise). He loves museums (I'm iffy) but agrees not to go every day. So, what are the top 3 worth seeing? I did go to the D'Orsay and loved it. Is it worth it to get the museum pass? We also love to eat, but this is a budget-conscious trip. So, any links or suggestions for good food cheap is appreciated. I haven't been to Versailles. Is it worth it for a 1st timer - and in March? How about live music...blues, jazz...any recommended clubs? What are some other "must do's" to add to our itinerary? We'll be there for 7 days. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:28 AM

ttt
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 07:46 AM

My suggestion would be to let your bf pick the museums. I think the museum pass is worth it not only because you can go to the head of the line but because it encourages you not to try to do the Louvre all it once. With the museum pass, you know you can come back again.

Why not leave Versailles up to your moods and the weather? You don't have to plan ahead for that.

My one insight is that I have seen more American couples arguing heatedly in the streets of Paris than I have in any other place I have ever been, abroad or in the US. People find it very hard to compromise about what they want to see, we all try to do too much and get cranky, and our feet hurt from walking so much.

Since you've been to Paris before, you might have a more enjoyable time if you let your bf do what he is so eager to do. Since you like to sit in cafes and roam, do that if he wants to spend an hour in a museum.

I'll also pass along that on a recent trip to Italy, my spouse was keen on going to the big museum in Perugia whereas I wanted nothing more to sit in a cafe and read. I ended up going with him, and it was glorious!!!!! Really a great museum.

So maybe you'll like his choices as much as you liked the D'Orsay.

And it may very well be that the first time he sits down in a Parisian cafe or public park he'll realize "This is the life" and make more time for that.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why not let him pick the museums? I think that's a great idea. If you don't have a Paris guidebook, get one from the library, and have him help with the planning. especially when people have differing interests I think it is important to each have input. Another method that has worked is one person plan one day, the other person is in charge of planning the next day.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 09:00 AM

I compromise a lot when I travel with loved ones (particularly Mom and Dad) and find that it really doesn't spoil the trip for me as long as I keep in mind that it is their trip more than it is mine. Granted, that only happens if I have already been there, but it is a good mentality to have and keeps things simple. And I end up seeing things I never would have otherwise, as they have different tastes than I do.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:42 AM

Just a couple of thoughts. If your bf loves fine and decorative art, then you may consider the Jacqumart-Andre Museum very worthwhile. This gem of a museum has a range from Rembrant to Italian Renaissance and beautiful furniture, ceramics, etc. For a very nice, affordable dinner consider the Bistrot du Breutil - for E32 pp it includes everything (appertif, entree, main, dessert, coffee and wine)and the food is very good and atmosphere very Parisian(red velvet drapes and all that). Also, why not search for the Paris Superthread on this forum for lots of great info.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:49 AM

if he enjoys modern and contemporary art i would suggest centre pompidou and palais de tokyo.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:41 PM

If he likes Medieval art, drop him off in the Thermes de Cluny (musée du moyen-age) in the middle of the Latin Quarter and then wander the streets of that area on your own.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:53 PM

The best cheap food in Paris (in my opinion) is falafael in the Marais.

So many great museums. The Dali is fun and often overlooked.

I'd say a trip to Versailles is well worth it.

Have fun!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas! Didn't mean to suggest that I was doing all of the planning - I'm not. I was just looking for some ideas to pass along to him.

Thanks!