Paris with a view

Jan 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Paris with a view

I am taking my mother, grandmother and myself to the Hotel Brighton before and after our barge trip through the Burgundy region. While we've been to Paris before, this is the first time we've stayed at a hotel like the Brighton. Usually we stay in the 6th at something smaller, but I need to have ease of access for my 88 year old grandmother. Here are my questions: is the Brighton going to give me a wonderful stay and view (we have a junior suite) so that she can see the festivities on Bastille Day, and has anyone got an idea for an easy way to spend the day, maybe unusual in nature, for an 88 year old?
Jan 20th, 2007, 08:43 PM

I kind of doubt if you are going to see anything special from the hotel, depending what you are looking for. The military parade doesn't go that far, I'm pretty sure -- I thikn it goes from the Arc to the place de la Concorde or maybe only the rondpoint, so it won't be around that hotel. I don't know what kind of view you should expect in a junior suite, sorry. I think if you do have a room with a good view, you should be able to view the Eiffel Tower from afar and the Tuileries gardens. If so, maybe you'll be able to see a little of the fireworks from afar if you are high up, that would be nice for your grandmother. That sounds like a nice choice, I think you'll enjoy it.

I'm not sure what you are looking for that would be unusual, what were you thinking of exactly? There are a lot of people around in Paris that day walking around. Maybe a Seine cruise would be easy, but I guess that isn't unusual. Maybe somebody else can think of something.
Jan 21st, 2007, 12:12 AM

Jenic - When you booked your room did you request a room with a Tuileries view? If so then you will have a view of The Louvre, D'Orsay, Tuileries, Eiffel Tower, Grand and Petite Palais. It's worth the extra money. I have stayed at Hotel Brighton 3 times and will be back in April for the 4th time. I have always been pleased with the staff and the hotel. I know most of the people here seem to like the left bank, but this hotel is in an excellent location. have a wonderful time.
Jan 30th, 2007, 07:30 PM

May I piggy-back onto this post and ask some related questions? Similarly to jenic, I am planning to take my 77-year old mother on her first trip to Paris. I am looking for a hotel that will be comfortable for her... not tiny rooms, clean easy to manuever around bathroom, friendly staff. Location is important, so I am considering the following and would love your opinions between: Relais due Louvre and Hotel Brighton. I assume that selecting one of their larger rooms (ie. superior, suite or deluxe) would be a better bet? In the best of all worlds, a hotel that has "handicapped rooms" would have a more comfortable toilet (i.e., higher than normal). What are your thoughts?
Jan 31st, 2007, 01:18 AM

May07, I don't know the hotels you're considering, but a word of caution. Paris hotel suites are sometimes on two levels, with stairs involved. Be sure to ask.

Jan 31st, 2007, 07:21 AM

We spent four days at the Brighton for Christmas Holiday and the only thing wrong was that it was so cold, not much we can do about that. I would return to this hotel, I think the area is perfect for the things most people want to do in Paris. Have fun.
Jan 31st, 2007, 08:18 PM

Thanks for your response. Has anyone stayed in a Paris hotel that had a walk-in shower? That would be easier to manage rather than climb in and out of a tub. And any other recommendations regarding Hotel Brighton would be appreciated... room to request, etc. Thanks!
Jan 31st, 2007, 10:15 PM

Personally, my only experience with rooms in Paris that have walk-in showers have been tiny, i.e. retro-fitted bathrooms in the "charming older hotel." I can love these hotels, but the showers were often very cramped.
Jan 31st, 2007, 10:23 PM

Suggestion for your granmother, besides what others have suggested (yes to boat trip on the Seine

The opera at the Opera Garnier, i.e. the old Paris opera house. This is an event even if you're not an opera fan. The building is a beaux arts marble-and-gilt wedding cake. While not as cheap as going to the movies, you can get some decent seats for much less than many operas in the U.S. I paid about 39 euros (about that) for a good seat in a side box. What I know many seniors would like: there are matinee shows! I went on a hot Sunday afternoon last year when Paris experienced a heat wave, and the A/C was most welcome.

To do it right: have a glass of champagne at intermission on the mezzanine terrace - about 10 euros (not a bad price, considering.) Enjoy the grandeur of the place. You can understand how it was a great showcase for see-and-be-seen Paris.

The opera is in the 8th arrondisement, very near the grand old department stores Printemps and Galleries Lafayette and up from the Place Vendome (I don't know the Hotel Brighton's location, if it nearby.) www.opera-de-paris.fr to check the schedule, etc.

If grandmama is into it: Fragonard has two shops nearby that pose as perfume museums (brief explanation of how perfume is made, including English hand-out.) Perfume junkies like me don't care that it is a shop. The store at 9 Rue Scribe is in a pretty 19th century town house. The other shop is at 30 Rue des Capucines. check: www.fragonard.com.

You are the best judge of how much museum-going grandmama wants to do. The Louvre is enormous, so it may be best to figure out the higlights, and just aim for a few of those. Some of the smaller museums might be as charming: the Jeu de Paum, etc. The Orsay is a magnificent building and houses many Impressionists. For all, there can be many stairs. There are generally elevators somewhere, but again, they have often been retro-fitted into the odd corner. You may still have some walking to do. The museums can provide a picturesque lunch environment. The food can vary (sometimes just packaged sandwiches and the like) but some are pretty good. You just have to check as there can be different options in the larger musuems.

Some historic churches have music performances (e.g. the Madeleine.) There can be a charge, but again, an okay price for a nice setting and good music.