Paris- Misc. Questions

Apr 6th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Paris- Misc. Questions

Here are few miscellaneous questions:

1) I understand that one may need to check their bags before entering a museum. Is that so and if so can we take our cameras in- agreeing not to take flash pictures of course! I'm worried about checking my bag with an expensive camera inside.

2) When ordering the house white wine (we are not wine drinkers but on occassion I will have a glass of white) does it come chilled or room temp?

Apr 6th, 2007, 10:39 AM

I have a small digital camera that I frequently leave in my pocket in museums rather than put in my coat/bag that is checked. Same with my phone. Some places you do go through metal detectors, but you can fit small items like these in your pocket with no problem.

Most white wines are served chilled.
Apr 6th, 2007, 10:43 AM

We were there several years back, and my DH was not asked to check his camera. Many museums don't allow photography of any kind, flash or no, but they don't make you leave your camera at the door. DH was able to take nonflash pictures inside the Orsay and the Louvre.
The white wine will be somewhat chilled, although perhaps not as cold as it is often served here in the US.
Apr 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM

You will rarely get the house wine by the glass, but more often by the "quart" (no, not the anglo-saxon quart!) -- a 25cl carafe (a quarter liter). Pronounced "car" as in "un 'car' de blanc, s'il vous plaît." Sometimes cold, sometimes not, even in the same establishment -- it depends on how long ago they put it to chill.
Apr 6th, 2007, 12:45 PM

I've been in a lot of cafes where you can order just a glass of wine, white or red. But if you don't want much and can't do that, just order 25 cl and split it between the two of you.

I can't think of any white wine that would properly be served room temp (ugh), and I've never gotten that in Paris, in any case.

I just carry my camera in my pants pocket, also, but I don't ever take pictures in a museum, anyway. I just may have it on me.
Apr 6th, 2007, 01:13 PM
ira

Hi BT,

>the house white wine ... does it come chilled or room temp?<

You are going to Paris. It comes at the appropriate temperature, as does the red wine.

Why not try a glass of red ot rose', with appropriate food of course?

Apr 6th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Most Americans are likely to find red wines more chilled that they are used to (well they do often come from a very cool cellar), and white wines cold but not icey chilled like they're used to. Frankly I think both of these alternatives are better than what we're used to at home, where red wine is often almost warm and white wine is nearly ready to form ice crystals.
Apr 6th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Three years ago, I was forced to check my camera at the Musee Monet Marmottan, but don't recall any other place being so strict. It was a large 35 mm SLR so it wasn't something I could just stick in my pocket. But they would not allow any pictures, flash or not.