Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Book tickets now or later from U.S. to Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Well my fodor friends. You have helped me nail down my itinerary. Now I need to book my flights from SFO-->Paris CDG --> Florence Italy --> back to SFO. I am seeing on most travel sites about 1300 Total per passenger including taxes. Trip is in October. Should I wait to book in the chance of fares getting cheaper or should I snag the tickets a number of months ahead of time at this price?

Thanks

jwalker1
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Well, that is always the question of the day. It is just a guessing game unless you have perks or travel points. I watched for several months, searched every site, and like someone said here before, when you suddenly feel panicky, anxious, and it seems ok, just purchase. I bought my tickets for October at the end of February and have watched the flight on line. The price as gone up about $60 since I bought. There is always that chance to wait for some glorious sale practically before you go but that is not for me--especially booking such a big trip as Italy.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:57 AM

jwalker1, have you tried www.kayak.com? It really saves a lot of time, as it searches all the major travel websites for you.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:27 AM

We also bought our tickets for October already. I watched for a couple of weeks, but fares started to go up, so we bought the tickets. For us, they went up about $150 in the last month.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Jwwalker,

I just looked up an open jaw on kayak, and came up with $999, with an open jaw from SFO to CDG, and back from Florence. You could close the jaw from Paris to Italy on one of the cheapo European airlines for about $50.

Just a suggestion.

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Wow! I paid 1,300USD per person to go LAX-LHR & (Eurostar to Paris) ORLY- CIA the $1,300 included airfare on BA, airfare on Easy Jet, Eurostar & hotel accomadations for 3 cities...just came back from my trip...I love traveling in the low season! With that said, I used farecompare.com it told me what months I would find my trip at it's lowest.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

what is sounds like to me is that if I can get an open jaw to paris and back to san francsico from Florence for 1000 then I am getting a pretty decent price. Then just get a 50 dollar ticket from Paris to Florence/venice seperately. I just wasn't sure if the 1000 was outrageous or normal since it is my first time. Any other suggestions?