Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying home from Paris tomorrow... quick ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We've bought 3 full bottles, and about 6-7 half=bottles of wine to bring home. We're checking 2 pieces of luggage and have 1 carry-on.

What's the best way to get this haul home without trouble? Pack it all in the carryon and declare everything? Sneak some in the checked luggage and hope for the best? I've heard the duty for the extra wine is pretty low (if they even charge it at all), but I've also heard that if the state you're entering does not allow the importation of wine, they won't allow us to bring it in (?). I tried researching Michigan liquor laws, as we are flying through Detroit to Des Moines, IA. Is this something I really just don't need to worry about?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me. We're on our way out, from the Relais-Bosquet (it's so nice they offer free internet access!) to Fontaine de Mars for our last dinner here. It was our first international trip, and I have fallen in love with Paris. What a magnificent city and culture! But more on this later, after we're back and non-jet-lagged. Now I just gotta get my wine home... lol

(Side note: Why does a 10 euro wine here taste better than a 30 dollar bottle back home? Is it the magic of being in France, or do they just do it better?)
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:07 AM

i'd drink some of it on the plane home just to be safe. LOL
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM

We always bring wine home from France. Usually packed in a carry - on to be safe, but we have put some in the checked luggage and it was fine. We always travel with bubble wrap to wrap the wine bottles, and now DH travels with a 6 pack travel bag. We've never had an problems with customs, and while we have declared the price paid as part of our allowance, we have never specifically said we have wine.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:41 AM

i half carried, half dragged my laden carry-on bag (eight bottles of wine) home from paris in november. declared nothing, was asked no questions. no fuss...no muss.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:59 AM

We also brought home 4-5 bottles of wine from Paris with no questions asked. Be careful how you pack them though. We brought a bottle home from Germany that broke in our suitcase. Luckily it was white wine (no stains on our clothes!), but definitely not fun to clean up.

Tracy
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:10 AM
ira

Hi tara,

Bring them in your carryon and as "personal item" in a tote.

Make sure your carryon isn't over the weight limit.

Declare the wine. The duty is now so low that Customs doesn't bother.

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:19 AM

We tried to carry ours on, in a small suitcase but an eagle-eyed ticket person for British Air decided at the last minute to weigh my bag and found it to be too heavy. She watched as we transferred the goodies to other bags and a fine Brunello and a ceramic tray from Deruta shattered on my clothes on the way..they had been checked.
Just don't over pack your carry on.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Sandi travelnut, that is sooooo sad about your Brunello and your plate from Deruta. I am very sorry for you.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:04 PM

I was so surprised that the wine, even though it had been on the clothes for many hours, washed completely out..not one stain. But you drop a tiny bit on your carpet and it's there forever...
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:51 PM

I wrap them in T-shirts and put them in a filet which is then wrapped with tape. I have taken six full bottles this way as carry-on.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:28 PM

I flew back from Paris in October and brought back 10 bottles of wine. Hid some in my checked luggage and others in my carry-on. I wrapped my socks around the checked luggage bottles and all ten arrived safely back in California! Never said anything to anyone and wasn't bothered by customs or the airline.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 10:52 PM

likewise experiance as producerkoof
in 2003 and 2004. wrap in socks, and
tee shirts you don't care about, watch
the weight of your bags, and you will be fine.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:23 AM

Try using Duty Free bags..
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 12:26 AM

I'm not sure if anyone is suggesting that you not fill out your declaration form truthfully, but I certainly would. Surely the possible consequences would outweigh any gain from not doing that.