Picnic in Paris question

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picnic in Paris question

I'm going to Paris in about 5 weeks. I keep reading that we should definitely visit the street markets and gather a picnic lunch or dinner - sounds like a wonderful idea. I hope my question doesn't sound dumb - but, how do you drink your wine when you stop for a picnic? Do you just happen to keep wine glasses in your backpack in case you need them? Do you buy a pair when you arrive? Im certain you all don't drink it straight from the bottle
Thanks.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 08:39 AM

For the French - and the Italians - drinking wine is not the production it seems to be for many Americans. They don't - and particularly not on a picnic - always drink it out of the *correct* wine glass. You can buy unbreakable tumblers anywhere or, if it doesn't shock you too much, disposable plastic ones.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Plastic glasses from your hotel room should do nicely. Enjoy! CJ
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for tips thus far
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:57 AM
ira

Hi G,

We carry two sets of Baccarat crystal glasses, one for white and one for red, in a very nice velvet-lined wooden box that we keep in a trunk, along with the set of Spode china and Stieff silverware.

When we get tired of that we take the glasses from the hotel and carry them in a plastic bag.

Don't forget a corkscrew.

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
And if you don't have enough plastic glasses from the hotel, the nearest supermarket will sell you more.

My own summer suggestion for a picnic would be the Parc de la Villette. Every Sunday there is a magnificent free concert at the music kiosk near the Géode (I think that this year is devoted to African groups.), or else, every night except Monday until the end of August, there is the giant inflatable cinema screen on the Prairie du Triangle, showing old and recent classics to 5000 to 15000 picknickers on the grass. Movies won't start before about 21h30 due to sunset issues, but the picnics start around 19h30. The venue is to be avoided if you are bothered by the aroma of cannabis.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Traveling in France with a few days in Paris in August 2000 with sons ages 13 and 9. . .some of my fondest memories are of picnics in the city; my husband and I deciding that we had too many bottles of wine to bring home! Lunch at the Jardin de Luxumberg while watching the boys sail the little boats around the pond and in the garden of the Rodin museum among the sculptures. At that location we went to a quiet spot near the back. Not having glasses that day, I asked at the cafe if we could buy a couple of plastic ones and they just gave them to me. For the lunches we managed to find a sandwich shop near our destination, cheap and yummy. Our favorite dinner was at Pont Neuf on the West end of the pointy island. We bought provisions on the Rue de Bucci and ate while watching the sun set and the tour boats sail by. The Rue de Bucci has tons of little food shops: cheese, bread, salads sold by the kilo, and a big cantaloupe. Whatever is in season. It was wonderful! I now never travel without a corkscrew and plastic glasses. Some camping stores have these wine glasses where the stem folds up into the bowl. Not crystal, but convenient.

Last time in Paris lots of people were picnicing on the Art Bridge, just west of pont neuf. Also a fun place to picnic and people watch.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:09 AM

We would not like wine in one of those flimsy plastic hotel glasses.

When we go to France we go for 4+ weeks so part of our packing is our picnic kit (or pique nique kit). In it is a corkscrew, serrated knife in a plastic sheath, flexible plastic cutting board (about the thickness of 10 pieces of paper, 4 cloth napkins (double as a table or grass cover), and 2 polycarbonate (thick, unbreakable) wine glasses.
We make good use of this and it takes up little space.

PS - When I grow up and get rich I am going to get a picnic set like ira's.

I have heard of people who hed for BHV when they arrive and gather the necessities which they dispose of when they leave.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I usually buy a couple inexpensive wine glasses & a corkscrew after I arrive to keep at the hotel room. but for a picnic I don't mind using a plastic cup or disposable paper cups either (both easier to tote around).

Besides visiting the street markets, watch for some bakeries where they have delicious pre-made sandwiches. I had a memorable chicken salad on whole wheat that I'm still talking about years later.

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Good shops for inexpensive glasses are La Vaissellerie and Genevieve Lethu - shops of both all over. Or, watch for those small (but full of "stuff&quot variety stores all around (usually with housewares of all sorts, blow dryers, etc., in the windows), where they're really inexpensive.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM

My husband lived in Paris for a while and said that back then (in the 90's) picnicing in the parks was frowned on. He said that no one was allowed to sit on the grass and eat. I have since been there a few times without him and have seen trash (appearing to be from picnicers, if there is such a word) strewn about ,and tourists eating on the grass. Is it not frowned upon any more? We did picnic once along the Seine on an embankment. I assume that's still okay.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Oh Ira....You are a stitch!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Tati will have whatever you need for utensils for a picnic, I'm sure (finding them is another thing, though; go to the corner of Blvd. de Rochechouarte and Rue Poissoniere, then go upstairs to the kitchenware). Plus, the store itself is an experience!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Most of the grass of Parisian parks was officially liberated about 15 years ago. There are still some zones off limits -- generally whenever you see a little symbolic barrier between the walkway and the grass. Most of the "pelouse interdite" signs no longer exist, but if you do something wrong, you will hear a whistle blow quite rapidly and also discover that park attendants are just about the last representatives of the law to still wear a képi.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:43 PM

I travel with a few unbreakable champagne glasses. I love champagne I purchased them at a camping supply store, like REI. The bottoms twist off for easy packing.

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM

When I was there in April, I saw quite a few "pelouse interdit" (meaning essentially, keep off the grass) signs, and once I figured them out, I observed them. There is usually some grass to be had nearby.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:57 PM

Aaahhh Ira.... that is one of the most romantic posts I think I've seen... One day when we get to really travel a lot, I hope to do the same thing. (As it is, we work for weeks just on what we may wear! One day I'll be a seasoned traveler....
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 02:46 AM

Bonjour

Yeah picnicing is heaps of fun. We had ours on the Champ de Mars with lovely Eiffel Tower views. We carry a Swiss army knife which has a corkscrew, knives etc. even a toothpick (I refuse to share that)! My wife packs a sarong which can be used for many things including a picnic rug or a tablecloth. I wouldn't take glass in case it shatters in your bag. We use good quality plastic glasses. Here's a tip. Make sure they are short, squat ones with a wide base. They will sit much better on grass and other uneven surfaces. You wouldn't want to spill any of that lovely vin

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the advice I can't wait to go!