Need Venice hotel for family of 5

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations for a nice hotel in Venice for a family of 5? The Europa & Regina is beautiful, but they want $600 a night for each room. Only staying one night in Venice. Either need a suite or 2 adjoining rooms.
Old May 24th, 2003, 09:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You might check with Pensione La Calcina. I have only stayed in the regular rooms (very nice!) but I know they also offer suites of some sort. Beautiful 3-star on the Guidecca canal. www.lacalcina.com
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old May 25th, 2003, 03:21 AM

If you are all fit enough to handle three high flights of steps (no elevator), you might enjoy the Locanda Sturion as much as we did two years ago. Right next to the Rialto bridge, it's a very small hotel, where adjoining rooms won't really matter since you'll be very close to one another anyway. They have two large rooms (a triple and a quad) overlooking the Grand Canal in the front. We stayed in the triple, and it was lovely but noisy because of the Grand Canal traffic. Everyone gets the spectacular view anyway, in the breakfast room, so I would probably opt for two rooms in the quieter back of the hotel next time. I can't remember what we paid--maybe $150 to $200?--but it would be different now anyway.
Old May 25th, 2003, 05:08 AM

We just returned from Venice two days ago. We stayed at the Pension Accademia, which was a Fodor's recommendation. It was a great hotel, good location, friendly staff, nice room. They had a great courtyard. I can not say what their accomodations are for five people,however since there were only 2 of us. But I would recommend looking into it. Our room was 210 Euros.
Old May 25th, 2003, 08:17 AM

The Pensione Accademia has at least one family room I know of with a great view (it's right off the big sitting room on the second floor of the main building) but you might prefer 2 rooms to get 2 bathrooms.
http://www.pensioneaccademia.it/index-e.html

You can also try one of their other hotels (Ala or Do Pozzi) on this website.
Old May 25th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your postings...I will look at the La Calcina and the Pensione Accademia. I could use points (11,000 per room for a view) at the Europa & Regina or just save the points and stay at either Hotel American, Hotel Giorgione, Violino or ????
It is only one night, so is it really worth the points to stay at the Europa & Regina? I don't think so. I think maybe we should just bank the points.
Since we are only there for just one night, location is pretty important. I've heard the Giorgione isn't in such a great location. Any input is appreciated?
Old May 25th, 2003, 01:24 PM

Definitely look into La Calcina! It is 2 minutes from where I live and a very nice location. It is 5 minutes from the Accademia, and from there it doesn't take very long to get to St.Mark's. It is a very pleasant part of Venice in my opinion, not too crowded, and the Zattere are very nice to walk along too.
The Giorgione is not that bad a spot (mind you I'm a local so a foreigner's view might be different ), that part of the city is quite lively in the day. It is also very close to Rialto.

However out of these two I'd go with La Calcina. I just think this part of the city is nicer to stay If you have any questions drop me a line, always nice to help people around my hometown...