Search

Need charming hotel or B&B in Venice. .

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 12:43 PM
TC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need charming hotel or B&B in Venice. .

Any great suggestions? We like places a bit off the beaten path, lots of local charm (but not over the top in decor), warm and friendly service. Don't need lots of amenities - would trade those for a great view. Like small hotels vs. large, but like large rooms vs. small. Would like a good neighborhood for strolling or dining casually. Would like to spend about $100-150 Euros per night. Am I dreaming with the price in Venice? If so, tell me to readjust me budget. Only need a couple of nights and its our 35th Anniversary, so we could splurge a bit.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 01:06 PM
awbaker

We booked La Calcina for our upcoming trip next month after reading good reviews on it. It's right on a canal, with a canalside restaurant. Our room with a terrace is 125 euros.

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 01:55 PM

we stayed at hotel flora a few years ago.
we had a very nice family room overlooking the backside of a gorgeous ventian mansion.
this is a sweet hotel with authentic charm. furniture is defintely uniquely venetian antique type decor.., but do not know what the other rooms are like. it was VERY well situated and tranquil.
really enjoyed it and would go back.
you can find it on a google search "hotel flora venice".
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 01:57 PM

TC,

This is from a one of my previous posts.

http://www.ca-satriano.com/www/page.html

After we found it, lol ( I think most people have a hard time finding where they are staying when they arrive in Venice) it was wonderful for us.

Lovely, lovely rooms, there are only 3 here and we had two of them, both on the 2nd floor. The 3rd one is off of the kitchen looks on to a canal.

Christian who is managing the place by himself God bless him, does a great job. However, I must say if you are the sort of person who requires a lot of attention and need someone at the front desk often - this would not be the place to stay. I actually liked not having someone around all the time ? but he was available.

Our one room The ?Conservatory? looked on to a canal and in the day you could hear classical music across the way coming from the music conservatory. Our second room The ?Mermaid? looked out onto a small courtyard.

Nice furnishing, spacious and in both of these rooms jaccuzi bathtubs! This part was pure heaven, after walking for days this was such an unbelievable pleasure to just soak. I know the 3rd room the ?Mask? off the small kitchen did not have a tub but we spoke with a couple who was staying in this one and they enjoyed it. It has a canal view on the first floor and I think it?s less expensive.

I would definitely stay here again - great price, great location & fantastic strong coffee - I miss Christian whipping up espresso in the morning and offering me a smoke they also had wonderful croissants.

Hope this helps and I know they are much better now on answering e-mails.

E
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Ecat,
What was the price at Ca' Satriano? Can't seem to find it on the website you posted.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Melissajoy

We loved our hotel in Venice, the Pensione Accademia in the quieter dorsoduro neighborhood of Venice, close to the Accademia museum and not far from the Peggy Guggenheim museum. We had a lovely, romantic room overlooking their romantic little garden. This hotel is on a smaller canal so the garden view is better than the canal view, in my own opinion. You don't really need a canal view in Venice, I don't think, as you will see canals, canals, canals, every time you leave your hotel!!! Breakfast was good and very filling here at this hotel. Public rooms were nicely done. When we were there in June there was some work being done on the smaller canal, so it was being drained. If your trip isn't for several months past June the work should be finished. We didn't mind this, as like I said you can see all the canals you want for free all over Venice!

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 05:49 PM

Casa Rezzonico, with its seven large rooms, fits your description to a tee. www.casarezzonico.it You can also do a search here.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 09:12 PM

Shellio,

We paid 130 euros per room and received a 5% disc. for paying cash. We booked direct and I have seen this B&B on some sites going for 200 euro a night. These are the rates we this May.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:02 PM

TC, I actually have a photo from our last trip of Hotel Flora that lincasanova recommended. Look here:

http://www.slowtrips.com/photo/showp...176&page=5

But we stayed at the Giorgione, and I don't have a photo of that...go figure!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Another fan of Pensione La Calcina, which fits what you describe. I've stayed there twice. Lovely. Check rates and room types on their website:

www.lacalcina.com
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:24 PM
TC
Original Poster

Lorac1127; Thanks so much for the photos. You are a very good photographer. You and I like the same kind of images. Venice looks amazing. I'm investigating everyone's suggestions. Haven't had a reply from Ca 'Satriano yet.

Does anyone have an idea for how long we should plan for Venice? We arrive from the States at about noon. Are two nights enough or will be need three before heading on to Florence via train? Our entire trip is only 10 days (sigh!) and we want to tour Chianti region for wines. Fly out of Venice on the return.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 12:29 PM

We stayed 4-1/2 days on our first trip as a couple to Venice. We did not have enough time to see some well known sights, including but not limited to: the Accademia, the Guggenheim, Murano, Burano, Torcello, Santa Maria della Salute, Madonna dell'Orto.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 01:28 PM
TC
Original Poster

Rufus; What did you see in 4 1/2 days, if you missed all listed? I thought Venice was small and easy to navigate. No?? Do you think a guide would have helped?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:29 PM

My daughter and I loved Hotel Sturion, on the Grand Canal just steps from the Rialto Bridge. Our room over looking the Grand Canal was about $175 in American dollars (this was just before Euros) and rooms not on the Canal were about $120. The only drawback is the (indoor)climb up to the third floor - but that was more than worth it!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:09 PM

TC, thanks for compliment on the photos. Actually, the credit goes to my husband.

We stayed in Venice three nights and would have loved more. As Rufus said before, we missed many of those sights as well. There just wasn't enough time.

In three days, we did the Secret Itineraries tour and the rest of the Palazzo Ducale, San Marco Basilica, Maria Salute Church, Frari Church, Sts. Giovanni e Paolo Church, the Rialto market and many terrific neighborhoods.

We did a lot more walking in Venice than we thought possible. When we wanted to get from here to there, if we were not by a vapararetto stop, we just walked...which takes time, especially when the city is unfamiliar and we tend to get lost.

But getting lost is one of the joys of Venice...another beautiful fondamenta, five lovely bridges, new neighborhoods, an unknown church and magnificent scenery around every corner.

Your days are filled with beauty and you don't come home feeling as though you missed anything even though you can't make it to everything on your list.

If you give Venice three days, you will have seven great days between Florence and Chianti country which make for a terrific trip.