Naples or Capri ?

Jul 19th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Nichola

Naples or Capri ?

I'm going on a Mediterranean cruise early October. I have several stops where there is a choice of trips - eg Florence or Pisa; I'm choosing Florence; Monte Carlo or Nice - I'm choosing Nice. Any opinions on whether to choose Naples or Capri ?(I only have one day). Thanks.

Jul 19th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Bill Fleites

I would chose Capri, yes there are a lot of tourists, both foreign and Italian, but there's a reason for this. It is a beautiful island with magnificent vista and views, with crystal clear blue water beaches. You could spend a day there have a great time sightseeing and if you bring your trunks taking a dip in the Mediterranean.

The only things I liked in Naples were the National Archeological Museum and the beautiful view of the bay with Mount Vesuvious in the background. The museum contains the Farnese sculpture collection and the artifacts excavated from Pompeii and Ercolano. Other than that, I'm afraid Naples was just a large, dirty, and unappealing city.

Jul 19th, 2002, 08:58 AM
mark

I'll second Capri.

Naples has lots of culture but its an old crowded city with all the problems that other old industrial cities have. Crime, poverty, etc.

Capri is very nice, very relaxing.

Jul 19th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Sherri Kardell

Nichola;
ditto for Capri; it's just beautiful and 1 day really can't do it justice ...you will fall in love with I Itlay anyway and want to return.Make a list of cities you would like to return to and get hotel brouchers; keep a match book from a restaurant that you enjoyed.I have found some of my favoritie places in Europe this way.
Naples is probably the worst city in Europe I have ever been too.Also you might want to rethink Nice it was sort of a disappointment to me.I liked Monte Carlo much better.Do your reserch plan your time; since you do not have much of it.
La Dolce Italy
Viva la France

Jul 19th, 2002, 09:45 AM
carol

Naples is a marvelous vibrant city, but you need time to fall in love with it. With only one day, Capri is definitely the best choice--if you can, go up to Anacapri and tour the Villa San Michele. You can see the whole place in 30-40 minutes, including its gorgeous views of the sea and cliffs.

Jul 19th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Amy

Nichola

I did a similar cruise and did an all day excursion that included Pompeii, lunch in Sorrento and a 1/2 day at Capri. We covered a lot of ground and I felt like I got my money's worth.

Jul 19th, 2002, 09:59 AM
lbb

Definately Capri.

Just a question... You say you are going on a Mediterranean cruise. Florence is one of your choices. Isn't it rather land locked? Just wondering

Jul 19th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Martin

I've been to Florence twice, both times on cruises. You take a bus from the coast into the city. Doesn't take long at all.

Jul 19th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Nichola

Thanks - Capri it is!
Here's my itinery if you've any other suggestions for restaurants/sightseeing/tips etc....
Barcelona (3 days)
Port of Villefranche - Monte Carlo (sorry I meant to say M/Carlo not Nice earlier)
Port of Civitavecchia - Rome
Port of Livorno - Florence
Port of Naples - Capri
Malta - meeting Maltese friends we met on last cruise!
Generally have 12 hours in each port.