Search

Day Trip to Capri from Naples

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip to Capri from Naples

Hello!

A friend and I (we are 24 years old) are planning a Europe trip from September 16th to October 1st of this year. We are spending our last 3 night in Naples and are wanting to do a day trip to Capri.

We want to do a boat tour around the island that includes a visit to the Blue Grotto (if entry is possible that day) and some swimming. We need recommendations though on what length of a tour do you suggest and what boat company? We are planning on taking the ferry over to the island first thing in the morning, as private transfers are out of our price range. Would like to stay under 100 euros per person, but if needed can go higher if you all suggest doing a full day tour.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 03:36 PM

Why do you need a tour? You surely can handle a day in Capri by yourself.
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 04:12 PM
kja

I agree with Waldo -- Capri is very easy to visit on your own. Consult a guidebook or two so you know how you want to spend your time. With the possible exception of the boats hired for private use, the boats that take people around the island are, IMO, fungible, and they all depart from near the dock for the ferries to / from Naples. Enjoy!
Old Sep 7th, 2016, 04:54 PM

You're not going to get a private boat tour for that amount of money, nor do you need one.

If the Blue Grotto is available there will be launches waiting to take groups of people there when you land on the ferry from Naples. If they say it's not available, then no one can get in and there is plenty
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 08:44 AM

Yep, Capri a nice day trip on your own I would say. Include Upper Capri.
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! I was not concerned about handling Capri on our own, I had thought a boat tour might be fun because of my previous experience with one in Sirmione, Italy. It just offered a different view of the landscape that I really enjoyed! But we will opt out and will look for launches to the Blue Grotto once in Capri. Thanks again!
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 04:29 PM
kja

I wonder if there is some miscommunication or confusion here: Most of the tour boats you can select once you reach Capri, the ones that are right by the dock for the ferries to and from the mainland, offer rides around the entire island. If the weather and tides permit, they will stop at the Blue Grotto. Once in Capri, you have options other than a launch to the Blue Grotto. And you do not need to hire a private boat from Naples.

I second Ozarksbill's recommendation to visit Anacapri.
Old Sep 8th, 2016, 05:33 PM

Finding a "company" is the tricky part. You might try calling a hotel for a recommendation. I once hired a boat to tour around the island. It included periodic stops for swims, including at the Blue Grotto. We stayed at the Hotel Caesar Augustus for that trip, so you might give them a ring and ask for their recommendation. Our boat, perhaps 21 feet, came with a captain/owner. The trip you are describing is delightful and well worth the money.
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

kja I think your right. I simply meant a boat to tour around the island. We will be taking the ferry to get to the island. I will look into visiting Anacapri as well!

Renaud, yes that is exactly what we are wanting to do! I will take your recommendation and call that hotel. Thank you so much! How long was your boat tour around the island?
Old Sep 9th, 2016, 10:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The return boats don't run late so ask what time is the last boat back to Naples. In Oct it might be around 5.