Ferries/ hydrofoils from Naples to Capri

Jan 9th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Ferries/ hydrofoils from Naples to Capri

We have to fly into Rome and then train to Naples and ferry to Capri to stay for a few days our day of arrival. I have heard ferries running can be subject to high waves etc. Then how do we get to our hotel on the isle if that's the case?
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Hello snorklefanatic, I have always taken the hydrofoils to Capri from Naples and have never had a problem, thankfully, with bad weather. Rough weather yes, with a bit of a seasickness feeling mostly due to other passengers being ill. But as I understand it if the weather is really bad the service will be shut down due to safety reasons. When will you be going to Capri?
Jan 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM

When you're going is key. For most of the year it isn;t really an issue. In winter rare days can be so bad that ferries/hydrofoikls are cancelled for all or part of the day (the whole day isvery rare). If you can;t get a boat - you can;t get to capri - will have to stay somewhere else.
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

We're going in May.
Jan 9th, 2007, 07:33 PM

Hi snorkefanatic, you will be just fine going from Naples to Capri in May. It is just sometimes during heavy storms in winter that it can be a problem. Enjoy beautiful Capri and Anacapri!!
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:18 AM
ira

HI S,

You have answers to this question on your other post.

If you can't find it, click on your name.

Jan 10th, 2007, 02:55 PM

The Hydrofoil drops you off at a cable car that goes to old town. Hotels also pick you up
Jan 15th, 2007, 07:33 AM

First, I recommend taking the Eurostar trains from Rome Termini. You can purchase these online at trenitalia.it - you get reserved seats and the journey is shorter. Also, there is a snack car, where you can buy snacks and coffee, etc. Ferries to Capri are very regular. Sometimes, there are high waves but the ferries run fine. The only problem I have experienced with this is really bad sea sickness so take some medicine before you get on the ferry. Once you arrive at the Marina in Capri, you can take the funicolare up the centre of town. Taxis and buses are also available from the marina. If you are staying at one of the better hotels, there will be a "little man" waiting for you at the docks. He will take your bags directly to the hotel, while you make your way up the island. All of the luxury hotels offer this service for a slight additional charge, and then men will be wearing hats bearing the name of the hotel. Otherwise, if you have a lot of bags, I would highly recommend getting a taxi.