Notices

Mykonos

Old Jun 30th, 2018, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mykonos

My adult daughter and I will be in Mykonos for 2.5 days next May. We plan to do a general tour of Mykonos Town the half day and go to Delos for another day. Any ideas as to what to do the other full day? I do not mind hiring a tour guide to see someplace out of the Town. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 05:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps think about taking the small local bus to the island's second town of Ano Mera. There you will find some of the best island restaurants, a quietness Mykonos Town doesn't have and the added bonus of being able to visit the 16th century monastery of Panagia Tourliani.

Another thought is to take the short journey out of town to a local cheese and yogurt maker's dairy (Mykonos Farmers) and watch then take part in making your own. More information about this place is at: Mykonos Farmers ? Guided by tradition, embracing technology Their reviews on Trip Advisor are quite impressive. I know in 2017 the visits were free but at that time you could only watch one of the locals making some island cheeses, eat some samples and buy if you enjoyed the taste. I see now they operate workshops so I think there may now be a charge.

Bill

Last edited by billbarr; Jun 30th, 2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 01:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill knows Mykonos better than anyone else who posts on Fodor's. Most people go to Delos for only half a day, so if you were there in the morning you would have time to do something else that day. Maybe take a bus from Fabrika Square to one of the beaches?
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you both. theses are great ideas. Lois
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 03:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would head to Platis Gialos or Psauro beach areas and go to the beach for the day! We stayed out by the beaches and we enjoyed our time there better than being in the town. You can take a bus from town.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 05:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
Bill knows Mykonos better than anyone else who posts on Fodor's. Most people go to Delos for only half a day, so if you were there in the morning you would have time to do something else that day. Maybe take a bus from Fabrika Square to one of the beaches?
Thank you Don but although having visited Mykonos for well over 50 years I still bow my head to your knowledge of Delos. I've read your comments and travelogues about this sacred island for many years and can't think of anyone who knows it better.

Bill
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 11:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Bill! I love the mosaics, and head straight to that area of the site by the first morning boat from Mykonos old harbour. That way I beat the rush, and have the mosaics all to myself for photography. I've taken a photo of the map provided at the ticket office, and the mosaics are in the area near the theatre (#95 on the map). Actually, there were no big crowds on Mykonos either, and that was in June. Bill's advice for me to stay near Lakka Square was spot on! Here are a few photos from one of my visits:

Last edited by Heimdall; Jul 1st, 2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 11:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For some reason my link in the above post shows just a photo of Little Venice. I tried editing and got the same result. If you click on the image and then click “Back to album” it may get you to the Delos photos.

Last edited by Heimdall; Jul 2nd, 2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 10:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
For some reason my link in the above post shows just a photo of Little Venice. I tried editing and got the same result. If you click on the image and then click “Back to album” it may get you to the Delos photos.
It worked OK for me and these are outstanding photographs.

Bill