What to see and do on Mykonos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to Mykonos in July, and would like recommendations on what to see and do there during our three day stay. Restaurant recommendations would also be appreciated- we enjoy fine dining! Thank you so much.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Well, if you're gay, you go there to get laid. I'm not kidding. My ex-husband, Tom, slept with half the island whilst we were on holiday (which is why we are now divorced).

Sex, shopping, getting a tan, walking around so everyone can see your Louis Vuitton sandals--this is what Mykonos is all about, sweetie.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:07 PM

Thin
Well I guess that takes care of this thread. ROTFLMAO
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM

This was just so funny that I had to top it so others could enjoy a good laugh too. Not the very reasonable quesion of course but ThinGorjus just made my day with this answer. I can't stop laughing.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 12:17 AM
JFlorides

Can highly recommend chez Kathrin for fine dining, in the centre of Mykons town. Restaurants can be patchy so you need to have a few recommendations before you go.

If you like historic sites, a visit to the island of Delos is a must. Visit the old town and climb the hill for a fantastic view of the Aegean. Make sure to do go to Delos early in your trip to avoid disappointment - the trip to Delos is often cancelled because of high winds so don't leave it until your last day.

Try the sex and shopping too! and people watching on the mad beaches...

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 02:25 AM

We don't go to Mykonos to get laid probably because we've been happily partnered for 33 years (I cannot begin to imagine what ThinGorjuss was doing while the "ex" was out having all that fabulous sex) but will top this for you.

Agree with the recommendation for Delos if you have the time to do so.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 04:00 AM

To this American, the funniest thing about TG's post is the "whilst" in the middle of all the trash-talk. Such a proper British word, surrounded by such decadent imagery!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:08 AM

And don't forget the nasaly (a la queer eye Carson)delivery tinged with just the right amount of indignation.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:31 AM

He did not sleep with me and I do not remember any visitor asking. I would have not forgotten as I am sure he was handsome and stylish guy.

I think the island has changed much in last five or ten years. Our gay friends still visit but not so many. What I see now is men in 30's and 40's and usually with their friend. That is cool. We all get along here.

ThinGorjus please come back with maybe your new man. Let me know before you arrive and I will make sure you both have a great vacation.

There is one island tour from the town here. Mainly it visit some beaches and also Ano Mera where you visit the church. The time for tour is about 3 hours.

Also, Delos is a island you must go to as friends here have mentioned.

If you care to tell me what taste of food you enjoy I will come back with some ideas for you. We have Chinese, Italian - oh so many.

Thanos
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Thanos and JFlorides for your help. Thanos- we do enjoy both Italian and Chinese, so I would really appreciate your suggestions. Our daughters are somewhat picky eaters, so we can't do native Greek meals every night!
Also- do you recommend we rent a car, will we need one? If we do rent one, where are the best places to visit? We are staying at the Mykonos Grand Hotel.
Thanks again!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM

I was there last year for two nights (but I got in early evening the first night), and surprisingly I don't remember much of it -- I don't think there's much in terms of attractions -- apart from the windmills, etc.

I missed Delos, as the boat wasn't running the day I was there.

I did enjoy my (short) stay there though.

My hotel was on Kalogera, just a very short walk from the harbor. I don't know if you'd need a car -- it's very pleasant to walk around the island. Kalogera is one of the major thoroughfares (well, pedestrian streets running north/south).

I'm not a beach person, and I was surprised by how much I liked the beach I went to (there're several to choose from). I took a bus and then a boat. The beach was surprisingly uncrowded.

I was there in mid June, before the mad rush started. Maybe that's why I liked it so much. It's a place that I'd actually consider going back. I had a room that overlooked a private garden for just 55 euros (was just checking my confirmation e-mail).

I remember that I stayed up all night the second day I was there -- I had a very early flight for Crete (I went to Chania for a wedding), and there were still people wandering about.

The island is not really as gay as people make it out to be, I thought.

In terms of restaurant recommendations, I can't offer any -- but Nobu has a restaurant at the Belvedere Hotel (if you're into that sort of thing). My meals were all really simple Greek meals, which I enjoyed (fresh fish, etc.).
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Looking at the trip e-mail I sent friends from that trip (pre blog) --

"Fish, fish and lots of fish. This except for some delicious shrimp I shared with a cockroach in Mykonos. Well, this isn't quite right. The cockroach waited until I finished before basking in the shrimp juices on my plate.

Mykonos: You've heard about the cockroach, so what else?"

(I didn't write much after that beyond what I've written here.)

I'd have to look at my cc statements to figure out where I saw that cockroach. But the meal was fine.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:50 PM

AnnaSC

There are two restaurants I can recommend. There are many many others to visit also.

Italian first. This is a restaurant called Passaggio. Nice layout, expensive but the food is very good. To find it you need to go to Taxi Square on the harbor front. There you will see a small statue. Walk passed the statue with back to harbor and walk up lane where kiosk is. This small avenue is called D Mayrogenou. At end of the avenue you will see three or four restaurants and one is Pasaggio. You will enjoy. I recommend it once before and person write to me later and thank me as they enjoy it very much.

Dynasty is a Thai food restaurant which is in a very nice part of the town centre close to where many local piople live. There is a small grass square closeby. The food here is very good. But you pay for good food, yes? Each time I have visted this restaurant I have found great meals. You find the restaurant walking from the harbour along Mitropoleos then Pateraki streets. Easy to find please but also please just ask someone.

One very nice tradiitonal Greek restauarnt in town is a few steps from Taxi Square on corner of Zouganeli Street and Matogianni close to the Alpha Bank. This serves very very good Greek food and also international cuisine. It is name Avra.

Another traditonal Greek restaurant that specialies in fish dishes is Costas Brothers. All same family and their food is varied and tasty. I think of the four this is cheapest option. It is on Mitropoleos close to our cathedral church.

I tell you to that your kids might enjoy the small cinema also. The movie are many and most are English with greek subtitles so Ok for you and family. This is close to Dynasty restaurant and beside the bank cash machine.

I am not so sure about car rental. We have a small island here and our little old buses easily take you to many places. Those will be big adventure for your kids.

You need to know that you will be visting the island when the Meltemi winds are strong so for drama, (and if you do hire a car) travel to some places in the remote north and north-west of the island that are big contrast to beaches in south. I recomend the north as few people visit there. Waves are big due to warm and sometimes very strong northerly winds at Meltemi time and sometimes only people there are men and women who like to surf as waves are so big. Also, very rare to have nude bathin there so again may be better especially if you have children. If you are OK with nude then go to south beaches.

If you choose the north fo the island then some places to go to are Fokos, Ftelia, Panormos and Agios Sostis beaches. Remote, wild and beautiful. Also, please enjoy our second town of Ano Mera. There you will be likely to visist the ancient monistory of Panagia Tourliani. In the centre of Ano Mera village is some very traditional Mykonian tavernas. There you will find some of our local dishes. One restaurant there has very very good local sea urchin dinners but oh I forget its name.

Your hotel is located in a very special and ancient place on the island. It's surroundings are very beautiful. I tell others who stay in this area to watch movie Shirley Valentine where was filmed there right in surroundings where you will lodge. If you clcik my name read some messages where I mention the special light there due to what we know here as Appolonia.

I hope you have a great time here on the island. Please let me know if you need any more info.

thanos
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM

Hey Thanos- What is Mykonos like in December? I have some friends who have invited me to visit them, but they just keep saying, "Oh, it'll be fine, just come." They won't tell me if it's cold or rainy or what.

I've also heard that it's impossible to find hotels and that many retaurants are closed in December. True?
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 03:25 PM

hi mat003

Rain perhaps, some blue sky with clouds, and usually windy.

Temperatures can be between low and middle 50's to low and middle 60's.

Some stores are open and, of course, some hotels and restaurants also. If you need names I will let you know.

Christmas is a feast day (holiday) in Greece but Easter more important time. On Christmas Eve children sing kalanda and travel to diferent homes for candy or maybe a little few coins. There are some local celebrations with food and drink. Father Christmas he visit on 1st January not 25 December and only at that day are gifts exchanged.

Ferries are not so many and sometimes only one plane per day to the island.

thanos
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Thanos and everyone for all of your help!!