Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anything to see in Mykonos off the beaten path?

Old May 16th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll probably stay in Mykonos Town, but I was thinking of renting a car one day and driving around -- if there was anything off-the-beaten path and authentic to see?

Thanks!
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 2005 we were at Mykonos for 2 1/2 days. Waaaay too long,. What you see in post cards is pretty much the whole island. We rented a car...very cheap actually and went on every and I mean every single road on the entire island. This includes dirt roads and went to every beach. A beautiful Island, great food, wonderful people I did enjoy it but really not much to do but shop and lay on the beach or like us drive around hoping to find stuff to do.We even did a day trip to Delos (another ancient island that has no hotels or restaurants on it, only ruins I think if you arrive before noon you can do the afternoon and evening and leave the next day and will have seen quite enough of Mykonos.

I actually am planning to do a cruise of the islands when I go with my sister, The cruise ship arrives early morning stays all day till 7 or so then leaves for next island. Quite frankly the whole day is actually a perfect amount of time for Mykonos.

Have a great trip, you will love it regardless of how much time you spend there. This was only my experience and some people like a more leisurely trip than I do. I live in Florida so if I want to lounge around on a beach all day I can do that here for free why spend thousands of dollars to do it somewhere else. I would rather use that money to see more stuff.

Good Luck...Enjoy Greece and enjoy the food...it's the best !!!
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good morning lbw14

Here's a few ideas that I have posted on Fodor's before:

Visit the town's three museums

Seach out the streets of Mykonos town that are not usually used by tourists. Those will give you a real flavour of the place.

Travel to the remote beaches on the north of the island.

Vist Aghios Ioannis, a magical part of Mykonos, with its own tales of mermaids, pirates and sea colours that will amaze.

The stunning caves at Tragonesi (Dragonisi). A drive then a small boat - the latter is best arranged in town beforehand.

St. Panteleimon in Marathi

The town of Ano Mera, its monastery and some of the best tavernas on the island.

The small, almost hidden, outdoor theatre in the town's Lakka district. If you are there when the locals put on some traditional Mykonian singing and dancing it is a 'must do'. Few tourists know about the venue.

Bill
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fabrika bus station is the busiest place in town, 20 meters (!) from there is Mykonos´most quiet place. And nobody knows it or goes there: the beautiful and serene churchyard (Ag. Louka).
G.