Mykonos or Delos?

Search

Mykonos or Delos?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mykonos or Delos?

We'll have an afternoon in Mykonos with a shore excursion offered to Delos that gives us no extra time in Mykonos. I'm leaning towards just enjoying walking around Mykonos! Any suggestions for which to do?
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 09:12 PM

If you're on a cruise that stops at other Greek islands then go to Delos. Mykonos is great for shopping and partying but there's really not much else you can do in such a short amount of time. Delos is a special island worth your time if you are at all interested in Greek Mythology and History.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 01:23 AM

Much as I often extole the virtues of taking time to enjoy Mykonos town, one of the most beautiful in the Cyclades, I agree with brotherleelove about taking the Delos trip.

This is one Unesco World Heritage site that shouldn't be missed. Take a hat and plenty of water!

Bill

Old Apr 27th, 2008, 01:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on what you like. Delos is fascinating but very hot, no shade, dry and dusty. Go there if you enjoy history.

Mykonos is gorgeous, a photo opportunity around every corner. Go there if you want to shop - or window shop, there are lots of expensive jewellery shops - and enjoy meandering about getting lost, stopping for coffee or gelati. Mykonos is a maze of narrow alleyways and there are always people at each corner, looking puzzled about which way to go.

If I had to choose only one, I'd choose Mykonos.

Kay
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 02:38 AM

I'm with brotherlee and bill on this one. Delos is an incredible place that shouldn't be missed.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Kay F has it right. Also so you might check and see how long your ship is going to let you stay there. Some only do a quick 2 hour on island tour and its not enough to see the temple on the hillside which is amazing. IMHO the museum which is small is so crowded you don't get much out of it, but the rest of the site if your at all interested in history is great to wander through and consider what has happened on this little island.
Old May 5th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks, everyone. as it happens, we have a full day in port, so we'll have a greek yogurt and see Delos! will only be there once.