Notices

Naxos or Mikonos

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naxos or Mikonos

My fiance and I are honeymooning in the Greek islands for two weeks. We plan to visit Crete, Sandorini, and one other island as well as two days in Athens. We were trying to decide between Naxos or Mikonos as the third island. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Mykonos will give you a more upscale experience. It's set up to attract honeymooners and a younger crowd that enjoys fashionable nightlife.

Naxos is more of a traditional island atmosphere. Naxos Town is quaint, the old walled village on the hill is very charming, especially when the flowers are in bloom.

both islands have good beaches. You won't be disappointed with either one.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 02:41 PM

yes, i go along with that. Mykonos is lively and an "in" place for the night set. Naxos is more laid back and quiet, with some fascinating hill villages inland. A day trip to Apollon (nice beach) takes these in.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 03:48 PM

If you want to have more nightlife options, Mykonos is where you want to be as far as more choices. If it very lively at night and has a zillion great restaurant choices. Check out the Hotel Belevedere in the town whether you are staying there or not. It is a must see, especially at night. Their is more of a scene in Mykonos. If you are going to Santorini, that could satisfy your "laid back" part of the vacation, and then add Mykonos for a different dynamic.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 04:14 PM

I have never been to Naxos but have been to Mykonos and Santorini. If I never go to Mykonos again I would not care. I did not like it at all.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 08:20 AM

We got married last June in Santorini, then honeymooned in Santorini, Mykonos, and Naxos. You have chosen a wonderful honeymoon! Santorini is absolutely amazing--breathtaking views, very romantic, and lots of interesting history. We actually enjoyed Mykonos and Naxos a lot, but for different reasons. Mykonos' main town is so much fun to wander around. Lots of great bars (Galleraki in Little Venice serves fresh fruit dacqaries so close to the water that you may get wet) and the best restaurants. We loved all the restaurants in Mykonos! There are also some nice beaches, most a boat ride away. They are not long sandy beaches but rather little coves. And there is tons of nightlife (clubs, bars, etc) if you like that sort of thing.

Naxos is much less expensive and touristy than Mykonos. It is a more authentic Greek island. You will not find many restaurants other than tavernas and cafes. And there is not much to do other than visit the mountain towns (rent a scooter!) or lay on the beach. But Naxos has some of the best beaches. If you go, spend all your time at Plaka. It is a rare find in Greece! Miles and miles of long white sand beaches. And lots of naked sunbathers. If you do go to Naxos, consider staying at Villa Marandi outside of the main town of Chora. You will need a scooter or car, but this hotel is wonderful!

So I guess it boils down to whether or not you want the fun and excitment of Mykonos or the relaxation of Naxos.

Here are pictures from our honeymoon:
http://kyriaki.net/photo_album/photo...ding/Honeymoon

Villa Marandi:
http://www.greekhotel.com/cyclades/n...randi/home.htm
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 09:03 AM

aschuger:

Both are great in their own way as previous posters have offered.

My hubby and I honeymooned in Greece too for 4 weeks followed by 2 weeks in Turkey.

We hit many of the islands including these two.

I LOVED Mykonos! My hubby says that Mykonos is exactly like Ibiza .
(A totally WILD spot in Spain that I also loved.)

He would not feel bad if he never went back to Mykonos so, you just might want to check in with your future hubby and see if he is ok with wild,gay and over the top fun while on Honeymoon with you!

Of course you already know him well enough to decide if he too would enjoy Mykonos with you and the rest of the party people...

I knew/know my hubby is "phobic" but it was only 4 nights of sheer abandon, dancing in the streets and fashion to the nines at night if you wanted to partake.

We did put our stay in Mykonos in the middle of our Honeymoon time...just right!

Congratulations!
Oaktown Traveler