Should we go to Mykonos

Search

Should we go to Mykonos

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should we go to Mykonos

My wife and I are planning a 9-day trip to Greece in July. We are definately going to go to Santorini for 3 days and a day and a half in Athens. We'd like to see another island. Is Mykonos a must? Or is Paros or Naxos a good substitute? Other islands? Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Of course Mykonos has it's attractions, Delos being one of them, but you'll find more to do on either Paros or Naxos. My 'pet phrase' for Mykonos is that it's become a package-tour-charter-flight-honeymooner's-delight sort of destination, far from it's 60's-70's reputation as the Jet-setter's Paradise
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Let's put it this way - I have been to Mykonos once, Paros and Naxos time and time again. The best thing about Mykonos is that it's the closest island to Delos. You can visit Delos from Naxos and Paros too.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your help!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 04:51 PM

FYI-If Delos interests you there are excursions from Naxos that you can book.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:17 PM

I'd pass on Mykonos, too. Paros, if you want a diverse island with a good mix of town and beach life (I especially like Naoussa on Paros). Naxos for sheer relaxation -- even the main town is laid-back. Two other possibilities for you to research and consider: Sifnos and Hydra.
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 05:28 PM

I dissent. Mykonos is really really fun. there is a public ferry from santorini to mykonos. we liked going to the beach and taking the boat to the next beach. also if you have teenagers they will love the all night brach parties at suprt paradiise.

Val
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 07:59 PM

I have been checking frequently for the ferry times to be posted to go from Santorini to Mykonos (through Paros) and I don't see any during the week. I am going to be flying to Santorini on April 3rd and flying out of Mykonos on April 7th. I would ideally like to find a ferry time from Santorini to Mykonos on the 5th but nothing is showing? Is this something I should be worried about?

Also should I look at changing the times to 3 days in Santorini instead? I am going with my girlfriend and the posts seem to lean towards a longer time in Santorini. Many of my plans are open because I didn't know the ferry schedule. Thanks.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 08:48 PM

The highspeed cat doesn't begin runing between Santorini and Mykonos until towards the end of April. Until then you have to take the slower car ferry from Santorini to Paros, then another ferry over to Mykonos. Use www.gtp.gr to help you find the schedules. According to them there's a 7 a.m. ferry from Santorini to Paros on April 5 arriving at 10:30 a.m. However, so far they're not showing any car ferries from Paros to Mykonos, although I know there is one. I just don't know if it leaves Paros late enough for you to make the connection. The early April timetables should be posted before the end of the month. That's all the info I can offer. Perhaps someone else here can add more???
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:05 PM

I can't add anything to Brotherleelove's post, except to advise you to start checking as soon as you get to Santorini. There is always a way to get from one island to another - its just a matter of route and timing. Worst case scenario is you would have to go back to Athens to connect with a flight or ferry to Mykonos. It probably won't come to that, but be prepared to alter your plans.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:57 AM

Hi,

I have been a lot of times in Santorini. It is my top choice! It is very romantic and restful! I have stayed in Kamari, a seaside resort. This village provides bars, clubs, restaurants, and a unique black beach! If you want to read more information about Santorini or Kamari, I suggest you to visit this wed site:

www.santorini-kamari.gr

Have fun!!!
Moschoula
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 02:32 AM

"My 'pet phrase' for Mykonos is that it's become a package-tour-charter-flight-honeymooner's-delight sort of destination, far from it's 60's-70's reputation as the Jet-setter's Paradise"

Where does its reputation as a mainly gay resort (in the UK, anyway) fit into your timeline, brotherleelove ?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:36 AM

As far as I know Myknons is NOT mainly a gay resort island, although it is without a doubt gay-friendly.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Caroline, I'll have to go with Brotherleelove. Mykonos is many things, but to describe it as a 'gay resort island' is grossly inaccurate. As I said in an earlier post, Super Paradise Beach was considered a gay beach a few years back. I never went there, and had no desire to go there. Likewise, there are, I understand, some gay clubs on the island but I never visited them either. I saw a few "exotic" looking people wandering around chora, but apart from that Mykonos was much like any other island.

What does set it apart are the many upmarket shops (good place to buy a Rolex), expensive restaurants, etc. There are many things to do on Mykonos, and unless you seek out the gay scene you will hardly knnow it is there.

Having said that, I much prefer Naxos and Paros.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM

I say for 10 years not so many gay peoples come to the island. Now, few visit but maybe a little older and togther with partners and they are welcome. Gay visitors they give us no trouble and I know that owners who have businesses and hotels enjoy gay peoples because never any fightings or disrespect.

I ask, why when we are people together does it matter. Everybody should be friends.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Bravo, Thanos, well-spoken!!
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:34 PM

I never said there was anything wrong with it - I just know that in the (mainly gay) circles I used to move in, in London, Mykonos was known as a gay resort.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:57 AM

Mykopnos is still known as a gay-friendly resort here in the U.S. The last time I visited (Summer 2005) the straight people looked just as "exotic" as anyone else, if not more so.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:59 AM

Fabuluis, in an earlier post I said I found a Santorini-Naxos ferry on Apr 5th. That was an error, and I thought the post has been deleted, but unfortunately not.

During the winter, and that means until the end of April, Greek ferry schedules are cut back to serve island inhabitants, as opposed to tourists. That means mainly runs to and from Pireaus/Rafina, along certain routes. Smaller passenger-only ferries like the SeaJet 2 and Flying Cat 4 are mothballed over the winter and put back in service for the summer season.

Mykonos is on the Cyclades North route, which serves Tinos and Syros as well. Santorini is on the Cyclades Central route, which also serves Paros, Naxos, and Ios. In the summer additional ferries are laid on to connect popular tourist islands like Santorini and Mykonos that are on different winter routes.

Every inhabited island has some kind of ferry service over the winter. They do need food and other goods on a year-round basis, and people still need to get back and forth to the mainland, but it is difficult sometimes to get between islands on different routes without going back to Pireaus or Rafina.

There are other ferries besides the ones shown on internet websites, so when you get to Santorini you may find what you need to get from there to Mykonos. Clearly, though, island hopping off-season requires careful planning.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:21 AM

Intrepid1, you are right. I never claimed to be able to tell one from the other, but Mykonos is a wonderful "people watching" island.