London-Waldorf Hilton-West End & Radison Edwardian-Convent Garden

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you stayed there, how did you like it? Thanks.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 11:37 AM

Two friends stayed for a week at the Radisson Edwardian (at my suggestion) since it was close to the flat I rent and we were doing things together. It was one of the smallest hotel rooms I've ever seen and on the top floor so it had a sloping ceiling making it impossible to get in or out on one side of the bed. The bathroom was tiny! Yet, they loved the hotel. They thought the staff was wonderful. They were just glad we had my flat for them to "crash" in a lot.
For what it's worth though, I had emailed the management and asked about a special rate for them for a week as I am a "resident" in the area. The price was ridiculously low, so I suspect that's why they got the tiny room with the attic feeling.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 12:14 PM

The Waldorf looks vile, a trying to be clever purple lit affair.

All this is irrelevant, however, if you're paying very little for it. Please advise budget so I can recommend some preferable alternatives.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 01:06 PM

The Waldorf Hilton hardly looks like a budget hotel. Why would you think the OP would be paying very little for it?
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Kay, read some of m_kingdom's other pretentious and insulting posts and you'll understand this one completely.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 01:11 PM

I remember a poster saying how they had obtained it for 100GBP per night on priceline - about all it's worth.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Actually people have obtained the Waldorf Hilton for $100 USD + taxes and fees on Priceline. Practically every recipient has been pleased with that deal.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 01:14 PM

So you've stayed there, MK? Seems strange since you live in London. Or have you just walked by it and not liked the looks of it?
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Kay, let me try to explain. "Hilton" is an American name. "Some" people shudder at the very thought of American service, Americans within a mile of them, or certainly an American hotel. There is no way "some" people could ever be happy at any Hilton, even if they took over Buckingham Palace.

These same "some" people laugh at the pretentious "American" custom of saying "my pleasure" when they help you, and yet those same people rave about the wonderful Claridge's Hotel in London where that exact custom began and was copied by that "horrible American chain Ritz-Carlton".

Does that help you to understand?
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:53 PM

Keep in mind that "Radisson Edwardian" is a brand...they have a handful of hotels in the area of Covent Garden, probably the closest being the Mountbatten. That is very nice. The Marlborough and Hampshire are also Radisson Edwardians. (Hve stayed at all 3 and would choose Mountbatten of the 3.) I'm unfamiliar with the other hotel you mention.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Coco is right, and I was assuming it was the Mountbatten you were talking about. At least that's the one I was talking about. I was thinking it was the only one in Covent Garden, as I was thinking those others are in Bloomsbury, or at Leicester Square, or other places not really IN Covent Garden, but sometimes the borders aren't real clear to me.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 03:00 PM

This is all idle talk, if any Hilton in London is 100USD per night, then you can't complain about it, but if you're looking at it as a property, then it fails to deliver.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 03:02 PM

I stayed at the Waldorf Hilton for $100 US this summer. The lobby is a little unusual-suede, chrome and leather contrasting dramatically with the exterior.
The rooms were gorgeous, however. The entryway (about 6 by 6 feet) is eggshell colored marble. To the right is a 12 x 12 walk in closet with trouser press, mini-fridge, safe, and electric kettle.
Bath is extra long with shower, lighted magnifying make up mirror and marble floor. King sized bed with down, not polyester duvet, dark wood desk, unusual art deco chandelier, golden curtains with light grey shades, two leather chairs.
For us it was an excellent value (about 55 GBP).
The health facilities have a lovely small pool and elliptical, free weights, yoga classes,etc. It is franchised by LA Express, I believe. Free to hotel guests.
The location near Covent Garden offer easy access to the ballet and opera.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM

I'm one of those people who got the Waldorf Hilton on Priceline for $100 US per night and was absolutely thrilled with the hotel, especially comparing it to the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum that I got on my next bid (although for a slightly lower rate of $70 per night) and the dive I stayed at for $100+ on a previous trip.

The location was ideal, a 5-10 minute walk from the Covent Garden tube, we walked to the theatre and to restaurants and even late at night we felt perfectly safe walking in the area.

Room-not huge by US standards but big by London standards, very comfortable king size bed with lots of pillows and a down comforter, in room safe, clothes presser, small refrigerator w/2 bottles of water, hair dryer, internet connection, plasma TV and AC.

Bathroom-shower had plenty of hot water, toiletries included bath gel, soap, shampoo and lotion, huge fluffy towels and two things that Americans seem to get hung up-washclothes and a sink with hot and cold water from the same faucet.

Check in and out was quick and pleasant, the staff courteous and knowledgable.

Only 2 complaints-the toilet took forever to refill and was quite loud and the bathroom door was glass letting the light shine in from the bathroom window which woke me up at 4:30 both mornings. Otherwise it was a terrific place and I'd gladly stay there again.

I really didn't pay any attention to the lobby or hotel facilities, wasn't in the hotel for much more than sleeping. The lobby was undergoing some renovation but it didn't affect my stay whatsoever.