Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any Recent Advice about Jenkins Hotel in London?

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ACK!
I have already made reservations for this hotel based on a fewthings I read here and a couple other sites and books,
But, I just read the reviews on the TripAdvisor site and boy, am I having secondthoughts,
The reviews are recent(from the autumn) and definitely not very good esp as with dollar rate we would be paying about $160 for a double.

anyone have any opinion about the hotel
or maybe even opinions about the reviews found at Trip Advsior site?
Thanks.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Nan, when are you going? If it's soon, maybe you should check out laterooms.com or lastminute.com to see if you can get a better hotel at the same or even cheaper rate?

You also might want to try londontown.com. They are showing a number of budget hotels (including Thistle Bloomsbury)for 81 GPB. Of course, that doesn't include VAT but it's still a good rate for a 4* hotel. You may even want to try Thistle's website.

Good luck. I think you can probably do better.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Not very recently, but I shared a triple with two friends there in March 2001. The room was tiny and the shower barely enough room to get in, but we liked the hotel. It was very clean. The people were very friendly, and we had a good cooked breakfast if we wanted it every morning in a plesant breakfast room. The location is good, just about 3 blocks for the tube. It is on a crescent street with several other hotels like it.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:25 AM

This hotel (really a b & b) & others on the same road was always considered good value for money. However at $160/night-that's not good value. From reading the reviews, it also sounds like the pleasant experience Marty (& friends of mine) have had in the past with the owners is now changed with employees running the show. You don't say when you're going, but I think you can do much better.

A frequent & knowledgeable poster, Elaine, recently stayed at the Arosfa between Xmas & New Years. You should have a look at her trip report. She also mentioned on another thread about the Morgan that next time she might try The Margaret (& another I can't remember). Bottom line, DON'T use the Jenkins at that price.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Marty, thank you for your reply !
It was based on reviews such as yours that I assumed the Jenkins was a fine place to stay.
But, those recent reviews from Trip Advisor are so negatively based I really need to rethink.
one mentioned that the owneers now are using a manager, instead of being there themselves.
and that can make a difference!

Betty, thanks for the two sites.
I will definitely start looking around .
We will not be going until April,
post Easter week.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mclaurie, we crossed in postings.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:30 AM

I have also found lots of good deals on www.hotels-london.co.uk. I'll be in London in march and have used this website to book 10 Manchester Street for 79GBP per night including VAT and continental breakfast.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Here's 1 string about the Morgan, Arosfa etc. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34466064

I also think you should check laterooms.com, lastminute.com, expedia etc. Just make sure you can print out a confirmation from any 3rd party booking service & try to reconfirm directly with the hotel. I had a difficult time once with a lastminute.com rate but in the end it was honored because I had the confirmation.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Yes, $160 a night will get something better than the Jenkins, if the owners are not running it! Look around some. We did not pay nearly that much.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

ttt , anyone recently stay at the Jenkins?

will start looking for a fall back, just in case.

Thanks.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 04:59 AM

The problem with the TripAdvisor site is there is no way to judge who is making the comments and what their bias is. Let alone if they have a vested interest for or against.

With this site, you can look at a someone?s other posts and make a better decision how much weight to give to the different opinions.

Keith