Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 Questions on London - Landmark Hotel? anyone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody!

My girlfriend has surprised me with an incredible trip to London for 6 days / 5 nights, including New Year's. I have never been there, so needless to say, I am very excited.

The package deal has us staying at the Landmark London Hotel on Marylebone Road. The reviews I have read online have been very complimentary. I was wondering if anyone here has stayed there or has visited there and could share their opinions?

Also, I live in New York City (Manhattan)and when reading peoples' reviews of London, getting around (having to wait 5 extra minutes for the tube), crime, etc., I can't help but wonder if these reviews are coming from people who don't necessarily live in a major city like NYC and if my experience might be different because I am used to the hectic lifestyle....any thoughts?
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 11:36 AM

HI
I'll speak as a fellow New Yorker and as someone who has visited London several times.
It's no biggie, in terms of worrying about crime, crowds, or the Tube.
You'll be bringing your street smarts with you anyway. Just don't get distracted while in a crowded train car, or while consulting your map.
Keep your belongings together, and step out of the crowds when you can, just as you wouldn't forget about your bag or wallet in a crowded subway car in NYC.

Some Tube stairways and corridors are quite long. It's not always worth it to plan to change train lines just to go to one additional stop, it's often easier to get out and walk a few blocks.

I have a file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]

Mind the gap.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 03:00 PM

we are booked into this hotel in September - is this a safe area - we are travelling with children
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 05:24 PM

It's certainly safe. I stayed there in April '04 and thought it terrific. Here's what I said about it in my trip report:

<i>...As there's not much info here on the Landmark, I'll wax eloquent. This hotel is fabulous. It was originally built as a coaching inn in the 1800s and also sits in front of Marylebone train station. It's had a recent renovation &amp; is quite stylish (non frumpy traditional) with good sized rooms &amp; marble baths. We had an executive room (whatever that means, I think standard) There is a glass covered atrium in the middle of the hotel (where the coaches used to pull in) that is now a restaurant/lounge area. Some of the rooms face into that area-I think the odd numbered rooms. While we had no particular view from our room, I was happy ours faced the street. That's how I found our breakfast place the first morning, by looking out the window. Regular rates at the Landmark are quite high, so I think at least at the current exchange rate, this hotel is probably more an expense account type place. For anyone driving, which we were, there's the added convenience of a garage (30GBP/night), but the hotel is conveniently out of the congestion zone so if you're coming from outside London &amp; just driving to the hotel entering from the westway, you don't have to pay the congestion fee. The other side of the street is IN the congestion zone, but the hotel side is not. Before anyone asks, we considered all options regarding keeping the car in London, parking it outside London, turning it in, etc., &amp; this scenario worked best for us.

Our room rate did not include breakfast. Continental was GBP 19.50 &amp; full English was 24!!!! Needless to say, we did not eat at the hotel (apart from the wedding food which was outstanding)! One morning we found a great little family run coffee place across from the back of the hotel facing the train station for eggs etc.-cheap &amp; very cheerful. Cafe Cappuccino or something like that. This is the place I spied out our window. The next morning (Sunday) our little place was closed so I went across to the Marylebone station where I had my choice of a Marks &amp; Sparks food shop, Upper Crust, a Pasties place &amp; more &amp; brought a selection of continental breakfast stuff back to the room.

Before we left home, I had considered saving some money &amp; staying at a less expensive hotel in the area. The Sherlock Holmes is not far away &amp; it was available on one of the discount websites for 99GBP/night including VAT &amp; breakfast. We checked it out as we passed it one morning. While I didn't see the rooms, the lobby area &amp; restaurant/bar looked lovely. It's quite modern design but not minimalist cold. There's a tapas bar in the front area near the bar. I happened to do a text search here about it &amp; people were reporting Baker St. as being an unattractive area. That's certainly not true now IMO. It is very close to the main Oxford St. shopping area. There were plenty of small restaurants &amp; convenience shops. I was worried the area wouldn't be convenient for a day of sightseeing, but it was really great. I would not hesitate to consider this area. </i>
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 12:49 AM

Someone that lives in Manhattan will have no problem dealing with London. Many of my friends who travel between the two cities say they are very alike and can adjust from being in one to the other very quickly.

Getting around London is very easy. I never really understand comments about waiting for the Tube. They are very frequent and most platforms will have screens saying when the next train is due. You probably won't use it much in rush hour which is obviously the worst time. I don't think I have waited longer for underground trains than I have in New York. The Tube, however, doesn't run all night which is one downside you may have to deal with coming from NYC.

If you are there over a holiday period, you may have to put up with a reduced service on Public Holidays.

Have a great trip to London!
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 01:31 AM

The hotel itself is nicely (for want of a better word) decorated. It feels very generic. Service on a scale of 1 to 10 is around 6.5. Rooms are most probably well appointed (I've never stayed there). Position, for a tourist just feels a little out the cetnre, and when I say a little, I'm talking an eight minute brisk walk. Food is very much hotel food, and isn't inspiring. I never get why it has these rave reviews. It's a good, solid five star hotel in a slightly less than perfect position.

If you're getting it cheaply then you can't really go wrong, but if you could've had Claridge's for that money, then you MUST change.