Search

Logis de France

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Logis de France

I am considering making hotel reservations through Logis de France. They seem to have interesting hotels listed, without exorbitant prices. I am especially interested in their theme classifications, such as hotels with character, or tranquil locations.
Has anyone used this agency, and what were your results? Do their character hotels live up to the themes?. Any specific hotels you might recommend in Provence?
Thanks
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Traditionally hotels belonging to Logis de France where most of the time good choices.I never used the agency, but often I have choce a hotel versus another because it belonged t the Logis de france and was someking of an assurance.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 11:54 AM

It's not quite an agency -- more an association of independent hoteliers. It is a good way to find good value hotels that do not have the uniformity of a chain. They vary in almost every respect, but I have never stayed in one that was really bad. A good bet, but no certainties.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 12:32 PM

I've never booked through the organization itself, but I've stayed at lots and lots of Logis de France properties and been very happy with all of them.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 12:35 PM

I've also stayed in several Logis de France hotels and been very pleased with them. They're a good option in smaller cities and towns, and the hotels often have quite a lot of charm. They're not necessarily fancy or expensive, but a good option in the 2*-3* range.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We have stayed at several through the years with only one that was YUK!
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 01:50 PM
ira

Hi al,

Whenever possible, we book our hotels through them.

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 03:13 PM

We did a three and a half week driving trip through France and I think we spent nineteen nights in Logis hotels. The other nights were in Paris.

We were completely satisfied staying in two and three stars, or ears of corn, as I think they use for ratings. We were also satisfied with their restaurants.

All were clean and in good locations. I made all our reservations through their website which was easy to do.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Logis is a great site. I love the details they give-english speaking staff, quiet location, etc. And, (I'm not sure this is the case with every hotel, but it has been for me) I've been able to cancel with no penalty practically at the last minute.

Provence is a big area-you might want to give specific cities or "departments" within Provence to get better hotel advice.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Hi all, Sorry for the Tarzan posting, how could I made so many mistakes ....
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 05:37 PM

yeasrs ago i was eating at the restaurant in a small hotel in france. I wasn't sure what one item on the menu was, so i asked an english speaking couple at the next table. after helping me, we got to talking. Somewhere in the converstation, they mentioned that they always stay at Logis hotels if possible, but were forced to stay in the one we were in because the Logis hotel was full. While i didn 't have any objection to the one we were in, they informed me that Logis were always better. This from a couple that vacationed every year in france.

Since then I always picked a Logis hotel and have nevcer been disappointed.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:36 PM

It's just a French hotel consortium, not an agency. I've stayed in one or two and liked them very well, but I always find out what I can about a hotel independently, not because it belongs to some particular marketing group. I don't know about their theme characters, but it is a marketing group and those are marketing gimmicks, so I wouldn't assume there was any guarantee they would fulfill that classification. It's better than nothing to give you an idea, though. I almost always book hotels directly, and did not book those through Logis de France itself.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 12:18 AM

Like others have said, they are all family owned independent hotels under one umbrella. You can either use the Logis site, or contact each hotel individually (faster, but some don't read their e-mails regularly)I use them every year if travelling through France and I don't usually bother making a reservation (with the exception of the one in Tournus, which fills up early.) They are usually simple, but the standard does vary. They use Chimneys (not ears of corn -that must be someone else) one, two or three as a guide to how good they are. I used to try to find a two star hotel with three chimneys, reckoning this would be good value. Sometimes it is (eg Hotel Aux Terrasse in Tournus) but it didn't always work. The scheme for working out how many chimneys to give includes a lot of things (which may not matter to you). I have stayed in some lovely places and also some grotty places. I think the worst was in Amboise where the bath was deeply cracked along its whole length to such an extent I had to ask the owner if it was safe to use (she expressed surprise - as if it had just happened, but from the colour of the crack - it had been there years). Cleanliness varies too, but they nearly all have a restaurant attached with reasonably priced food. If you are wanting to travel around France and don't want to spend too much money, they are ideal. They are to be found in most small towns and villages.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:00 AM
ira

>..a two star hotel with three chimneys, <

I think that gives the best value.

The stars are the standard hotel rankings.
The Chimneys are the Lgos ratings for restaurant quality.

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:30 AM

The ears of corn are the French gite program's rating mark.

The chimneys are not any Logis de France rating of the restaurant quality, many of them don't even have restaurants and their is no requirement a LdeF hotel have a restaurant. It's just their own association's rating of the level of standard of the hotel. The 2*, 3 chimney remark meant a French 2* hotel but a Logis de France 3 chimney hotel. I don't have extensive experience with many, but in my limited experience, their 3 chimney hotels are nicer than the 2 chimney, even if they did have the same French star rating.

I do have one to recommend in Provence, one I liked that was in the Logis de France system at the time, but may not be now (and does not have a restaurant). It is a wonderful hotel out in the country a bit outside Pernes les Fontaines which is an excellent central location for touring. I loved it. This is their website (which doesn't mention LdeF)

http://www.hotel-lhermitage.com/room...l-provence.htm

That was a 2* hotel when I stayed there, but is now a 3* hotel and was a 3 chimney LdF hotel. It doesn't mention LdF on their website, so perhaps they have to pay a fee to them if you book through their website (wouldn't surprise me at all). They are still mentioned on the LdeF website, so I guess they still belong.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 11:55 PM

Hi

just to confirm :

There are 3000+ Logis de France hotels in France

Many have good restaurants, some with michelin stars !

They have the best choice outside city centres

I've used them frequently and have always been happy

LdF hotels are all privately owned

LdF runs the central booking system

LdF organises the classifications and does spot checks

There is quite a turnover year to year as hotels don't maintain standards (and go) and new ones come along

I've got background info on them here : http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/to...-de-france.htm

Peter
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Except your website claims they all have a restaurant, and that isn't true.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 11:19 PM

Logis de France say :

"Plus de 3000 hôtels-restaurants réunis autour d'un concept de qualité d'accueil, d'authenticité et de découverte des terroirs. "

"Les établissements Logis de France sont des hôtels, presque toujours dotés d'un restaurant. "

I have not found one without a restaurant, but the text suggests there may be a few without.

Peter