Search

Logis de France

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Logis de France

Travelling around France for 3 weeks we are searching for hotels, B&B, places to stay.

We came accross the Logis de France network of hotels and would like to hear from people who have used their services. How do they compare to other hotel chains in France. We're open to all suggestions and other recommendations.

Thank you,

jet29
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:50 AM

We have used Logis de France and enjoyed our stays with them. I find them comparable in quality/comfort/price to Best Westerns.

It is important to note that both of these in France are not "chains" in the strictest sense of the word (unlike the Novotels where the accomodations are pretty standard no matter which one you stay in). The Logis and BW are a more loosely knit group providing service under the umbrella of the company name, but each one is individually owned, I believe, and maintains its own particular character.

That is what we like about them--that have individual, local charm/flavor but guarantee a degree of guaranteed quality/service. Some, obviouisly, are more quaint, charming etc. than others, but we've never been disappointed with the service or cost/quality ratio. They also have decent food, where served.
Old May 7th, 2004, 06:50 AM

This probably won't help much, but my mom is a big fan of the Logis, and has stayed with them throughout France I believe, most recently in Normandy and Brittany. She's always had good experiences - the hotels tend to be small, friendly, family-run type places, but with all facilities.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
They vary in quality, we found and in some we have noticed there were mostly French people who were on the road like us.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:17 AM

Generaly the logis de France are
"typical" hotels, sometimes "auberge",
ie small units(20 to 30 rooms) with a family ownership...
When there is restaurant, it offers in general typical specialities of the region.
More often for the hotel they are ** to
*** on a scale of 5* and the restaurants
never gain Michelin's stars, but it's not the goal...Goal is "provincial" cuisine.
When we visit France with our daughters it's our favorite "chain"...
And as prices are not so high, you can 1 to 2 nights a week save enough, in comparaison with industrial chains(like Novotel,...) to get a night in a relais et chateaux...
Erik.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:38 AM

For B&Bs I have used Gites de France, and will do so again.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:45 AM
rex

I have had the same mixed experiences, none of them bad, none of them stellar; food often better than the room, and sometimes room clearly cheaper than the food. Sound value. Of three that come to the top of my mind, Auberge de Froeningen (near Basel) was the best - - room, service/staff AND dinner/breakfast.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your comments.

Good to hear that all the responses from those having used the Logis de France chain, are positive.

As for B&B, we will definitely consider the Gites de France option.

Thank you,

jet29
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:46 AM

WE were in one last August in Mas Blanc de Apilles which is 6km from St Remy.
We enjoyed it very much and especially because it had AIR CONDITIONING. Remember what last August was like in France?
It was totally fmaily run. The rooms were very, very clean. The food was even good. Price was about 60 Euro for a double with a nice breakfast.
It certainly was not luxurious, but we were more than satisfied.
Good luck.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:13 AM

We've used Logis de France and Gites de France and were quite satisfied in both instances.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:21 AM

For B&B's you may also want to try Fleurs Soleil: http://www.fleurs-soleil.tm.fr and www.bedbreak.com . They both list quite interesting properties (often chateaux) which provide B&B accommodation at very reasonable prices. The range really does vary from people's homes converted into B&Bs to proper chateaux in the Bordeaux area.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:33 AM

Again, Logis de France is not a chain, but an association of small, independently owned hotels, inns, etc. I would imagine that they have to measure up to certain standards to be in the association. We stayed in one in Briancon, in the Fr. Alpes, which I would consider to be typical. It was a family owned-and-run auberge with about 23 rooms. It was not luxurious but had lots of charm in that the building maintained the integrity of its style, and the food and decor were typical of the area:hearty, mountain food and rustic decor. It was clean and nicely maintained. Logis de France will not be upscale, but neither will they be "cookie-cutter-you've-seen-one-,you've-seen-them-all places".

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 11:59 AM

I've stayed at two Logis hotels but ended up faxing the hotels directly for reservations after, in both cases, Logis said that there were no vacancies. Both hotels were modest, fairly priced accommodations with good restaurants.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 01:51 AM

We haven't stayed in any, but saw lots of them on our trip through the Loire Valley and Berry. Most seemed to fall in the 2 star range. The only *obvious* downside we noted was that a lot of them were practically right on top of the road...the front door literally opened out onto the highway (secondary highways, of course, not the big autoroutes), but some of these road get a lot of traffic. For adults, no big deal, but something to keep in mind for people traveling with small children.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Does anyone know of a website address for Logis de France (or Gites de France)?
Last October I had the newest Logis de France book, but foolishly left in in my rental car when I dropped it off in Paris. Thought I would have no further need for it, but now here I am planning another trip (next year)!
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 03:13 PM
rex

Click here - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34526532 - - or on your own name, to retrieve your earlier post with this same question.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are some websites for B&Bs in France which I have found in my research for a trip this fall:
>http://www.likhom.com/anglais/default.asp
>http://www.bbfrance.com/
>http://logis-de-france.fr/uk/recherch/index-ca.htm
>http://www.relaischateaux.com/site/us/portail_us.html
>http://www.karenbrown.com/
>http://www.greatbedandbreakfast.com/...country/France
>http://www.guidesdecharme.com/contenu/cartographie.asp
>http://www.bonadresse.com/
Hope these are useful to someone.Maybe they should be on a super-thread.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have used Logis de France hotels without problems. They classify places one, two, or three hearths. The 2-hearth places we stayed at were fine, without luxury -- France 2-star level, US basic motel level (but hotels). The three hearth places were nicer and a little more expensive. Most of the places we tried were in very small towns, often on the main square, and quiet, since the towns were small. The ones in larger places were directly on a street with some traffic, but you could ask for a room in the back.

The food was good at all of them -- a bargain really, with room, dinner for two, and a bottle of wine coming in at a very acceptable price being an added bonus. The three hearth places had superior food.

If you are travelling from one Logis to another, the place you are leaving can make your reservation at the next one. Otherwise, directly contact the Hotel to get much better service than using the central Logis chain number, as the hotels are separately owned and operated.

Overall, the Logis group can be recommended wholehertedly for non-luxury accomodations.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 10:00 PM

Thanks Rex. As you rightly point out, I had already posted the question - but would you believe, trawling through postings only 12 hours later did not locate it, and neither did clicking on my own name. Neither did clicking on the title "Logis de France" but at least that did reveal the earlier thread - so I used that thread to put my question again.

I'll try locating my other thread by clicking on the reference you have given me, but I wonder how many other Fodorites strike this temporary loss of a thread? It's certainly not the first time it's happened to me!
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 05:30 AM

MOdest, but clean and good value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -