June / July - will we need rain wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a question about weather in England and Paris in Summer. Will we need light rain wear? Or is it completely dry that time of year ? I would like to be prepared.
Thanks
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:45 AM
P_M

I would never go to England without rainwear. Besides, if you take rain wear, it will surely be sunny.

If you would like to see historical averages for weather, see this site:

www.weatherbase.com
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Summer in most parts of England is very pleasant temperature-wise, but there will still be some showers. Light rain wear would be advisable, or perhaps just a good compact folding umbrella. There will also be showers in Paris. Of all the times I've been in those cities in the summer, I've encountered rain more often in Paris than in southern England. Might have just been my luck, though. On the average, the rainfall in both areas in the summer is about the same. Good luck.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:51 AM

We were in London and Paris in July of '03. Experienced rain in both.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Not sure what rainwear means - I don;t think I own any.

There can be rain almost anywhere in europe at any time. But it isn't an sort of tropical downpour. Just take a folding umbrella.

(I never understand these questions about rain. Doesn;t it rain where the OP is from? And don;t they just take an unbrella? It's very mysterious.)
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I appreciate you quick
responces. I will be sure the take a lite waterproof jacket.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:38 AM

Jenn, these two websites will give you the historical weather for Paris and London.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT003570

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT003790

I think it is foolish to plan your wardrobe on anecdotal weather experiences from a traveller. You might agree after I relate this from the Worcester(US) Telegram for weather on Nov. 11, 1911.

"In Kansas City, the temperature warmed to record 76 by late morning before the arctic front moved in from the northwest. Skies became overcast, winds shifted to the northwest, and the mercury began to plummet. By midnight the temperature had dipped to a record cold reading of 11 degrees above zero."

Which traveller would you believe for the typical weather, she in her bikini in the late morning or he in his parka at midnight?
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:51 AM

I would never count on it being completely dry in any of these cities! It could be dry, but then again, it could rain every day. The reality is probably somewhere in between. An umbrella and maybe a rain hat should be enough.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:01 AM

I was on a team interviewing candidates for employment at TWA in Kansas City, and as we staggered up Baltimore Ave. into the teeth of a blizzard, our manager cheerfully said to the candidate, "The average annual temperature in Kansas City is about 58 degrees."

"It's not the Mean that concerns me at the moment," snarled the job-seeker. "It's the f*** Standard Deviation."

Frontal weather is the norm throughout Europe in the summer. You can leave your hotel in the morning with the sun shining and not a cloud in the sky, and at noon be drenched by a cloudburst.

Winter is characterized by low-pressure systems that hang for days or weeks, almost continuously emitting precipitation.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:41 AM
ira

Hi Jenn,

I also suggest bringing a folding umbrella.