Rain, Rain, Go Away

Search

Rain, Rain, Go Away

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rain, Rain, Go Away

I've been checking the weather, and so far the forecast is for rain EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. at our destination. We have a couple of weeks before departure so I'm hoping the sun will come peeking out. Of course I expect rainy days on a trip to England, and I know the rain there is nothing like a Gulf storm, but every day is a bit much.

So how about some rain stories? Has anyone had a short break in the Lake District made excruciatingly dull by endless rain (besides me, that is?) Has anyone found a special place that they would never have discovered if it wasn't raining? How do you make the best of it when it rains?
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:40 PM

You have a couple of weeks to departure and you've found a weather forecast that tells you what the weather's going to be like here that far ahead!!!!!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:42 PM

As you can see by the map in http://www.hanby.co.uk/Rainfall%20Map.htm, the Lake District is just about the rainiest part of England, and this has been a wet winter. Enjoy your trip, but bring some waterproofs.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM

My experience is that it's better if you see rain in the forecast BEFORE you go rather than sun, sun, sun. I've had several holidays where all I heard wherever I went was 'You should have been here last week--the weather was gorgeous!'
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:53 PM

All anyone told me before my trip to the Lakes District and Yorkshire last June was to prepare for wet weather. Well, it was nothing but sunshine for my entire time there.

So bring a rain coat, just in case, and be ready to walk in the drizzle. It will be pretty no matter what in my opinion.

Rainy day activities would certainly include an E.F. Benson novel beside a fire with a cup of something warm to sip from. With luck there'll be a resident spaniel to pet.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM

I feel nervous about the possiblity of rain, too. I sort of feel cursed. On our 2005 trip to Disneyworld, we had rain 6 days out of 10. I'm not talking about the Florida afternoon rains; I'm talking about all day rain.

In Italy, we had several days of rain; we even got hailed on when taking our surrey ride in the Borghese Gardens.

Do you know where we DIDN'T get rain? Costa Rica. There we were in the rain forest and had one 10 minute downpour.

So now I'm worried about Barcelona. I guess the worst would be rain on Monday, as the museums are closed. I haev a feeling that would be a very expensive day, as there would be "nothing" to do but shop.

I know we're supposed to dress appropriately and get out there and tour anyway, and I've sure done that...but it's not as fun!!!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Unless you're camping don;t understand why everyone gets all exorcised about rain. As long as you have a portable umbie and a second pair of walking shoes (so the first can dry - just go ahead and do whatever you were going to.

It's rained at least once on every trip we've made to europe - sometimes - esp in early srpig or fall - many days. And we've never found it a big issue.

No one is going to melt from a few raindrops.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Remember, if weren't for the rain, this land wouldn't be 'green and pleasant'...... 8-)
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 03:55 PM

We were going to visit Ireland. We bought lightweight ponchos. We wore them every day. We wore them every day on trips to Holland, Germany, and Denmark, too -- not necessarily all day, but every day.
We arrived in Portugal, looked out the window of our hotel room. It was starting to rain.
I went out on the balcony, raised my fist to the sky and said: "God, those ponchos were only $14.95. We've gotten our money's worth." The rain stopped. We still pack the ponchos and have used them from time to time, but not with the frequency of those early trips.
Our weather theory is pretty much to pretend every vacation is going to be in Ireland and be grateful for the bright days.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 04:23 PM

I went out on the balcony, raised my fist to the sky and said, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more."
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:11 PM

I agree with nytraveler. I absolutely love the rain. I detest heat - thrive in about 12-18 degrees Celsius. Rain makes me rejoice and full of energy, even on vacation. Drought is common where I live and I am a gardener so it makes sense that I crave moisture!

We have experienced rain on several trips (although not every single day) and unless it is pouring so hard it hurts I love it. In fact, in the UK it makes things more atmospheric IMHO. I have an excellent waterproof jacket (and shoes) that have come in extremely handy.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:32 PM

My family and I got caught in a torrential downpour in Paris once, far from home and any shelter spots...It got so bad that we were forced to duck into the closest restaurant. We ended up staying for lunch and what an amazing find it was! It ended up being a place we went back to many times in the weeks to come...

So, I suppose if it rains, you can always go eat!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

I'm really not all that exorcised about rain... I like an occasional rainy day as much as the next Fodorite. But I would certainly prefer that it not continue to rain every single day while I'm on my long-awaited trip.

So any more rain stories, either times when rain messed up your plans or made an outing special?

P.S. - Cimbrone, I will definitely check out E.F. Benson, as I am a big M.R. James fan! Now is it possible for me to rent a spaniel while I'm in the U.K.?
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:58 PM

We spent a week in the Lake District in December 2004 and believe it or not, only had one day of rain! One of our 'finds' of the day was Cartmel. Beautiful abbey and some interesting small shops (including the sticky toffee pudding shop) and nice pub called the Kings Arms.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 10:12 PM

A special rain story..yes indeed JulieG. We were walking around Venice with the most horrendous rain and electrical storm. Not due to flooding but our shoes were full of water from the rain. We happened upon a restaurant in the San Palo area (where our hotel was also located) on our way back to our hotel. We were cold and so wet. A small but lovely restuarant beckoned to us. We entered and stood in the entry dripping wet. Suddenly a grandmotherly type came out from the back with a lovely smile and handed us two each a towel and indicated to us to take our shoes off which we did and consequently emptied the water out of the shoes outside the door. She put our shoes in the foyer and lead us to a table after we dried ourselves off. We never saw a menu. First we were brought red wine and than dish after dish of warm and fabulous food. The storm and electrical storm continued but we were inside this fantastic little restaurant and spent hours there We were the only non residents. Nonna and eventually the chef came out and sat with us and brought desserts and after dinner drinks (gratis). Around one in the morning the storm was suddenly gone so we gave our heartfell thanks and walked to the foyer. Our shoes were dried, paper were pulled out of them by a young man when we went into the foyer, our coats were dry also, obviously someone had wiped them off. We received hugs and kisses on the cheeks and left. I know how to get back to the restaurant (if it is still there) although I don't remember the name..actually I never knew the name, lol. Just a cosy, warm and welcoming haven during a terrible storm..and a beautiful memory I will remember forever. Just one of many beautiful memories during rain storms.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 10:34 PM

"How do you make the best of it when it rains?"

By doing exactly what I'd be doing if it wasn't, only dressing properly. What could you possibly have been planning to do in an English spring that rain stops or even inhibits?

As for believing the details of an English daily weather forecast weeks ahead...

Is there no limit to people's credulity?
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 12:00 AM

" What could you possibly have been planning to do in an English spring that rain stops or even inhibits?"

Tennis? Cricket?

It amuses me that the English invented the two sports that rain stops play.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 12:23 AM

I live in London and the local forecast almost never goes out more than 2 days. I just don't think they can predict that far in advance. I often compare the bbc weather forecast (5 day online) to weather.com (10 day) and it seems like weather.com just repeats a general forecast for the last 7 days (ie 52F, showers). They don't know and are very often wrong in my experience. That being said, it has rained here a lot this winter, but it is more like spotty showers vs. all day rain. It rarely rains the entire day.

While you may not want to bring wellies b/c they take up so much room, you could get yourself a pair of the crocs rain boots (I have been eyeing them) and just slosh about. It probably won't be cold.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 01:33 AM

This photograph http://tinyurl.com/2hjtpc
is not of a strict Muslim lady but is one of me in Scotland ;-)

I think that you are more likely to have sunny intervals with the odd shower at that time of year.
Spring will really be getting into its stride when you arrive.
I have masses of small species daffodils out in the garden, so the Lake District ones should be coming out.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 01:59 AM

Never believe a UK weather forecast - they are lucky to get it right on the day, never mind a couple of weeks in advance. Saying that, the worse holiday weather we ever had was in the Lake District, years ago when our kids were young. We didn't have a car at the time and hired a cottage near Great Langdale in the school summer holidays (July/August) hoping to do lots of walking, picnicing, etc and getting there by public transport. The rain set it and ranged from fine drizzle to pouring down with the cloud was so low over the mountains that we had no views. We trudged around in the rain, getting all our clothes, shoes and walking boots thoroughly soaked and muddy and spent a fortune on the infrequent busses trying to find something to keep the kids amused. By the middle of the second week, we gave up and came home.

As we live about an hour and a half drive from the Lake District, it's now easy for us to head up the motorway for a weekend or even a day in the Lakes and we've seen it in all weathers. We now generally like to spend our hard earned main holiday in warmer places, saving our favourite places in the UK for long weekends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -