Search

Weather forecast for Paris - next 10 days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather forecast for Paris - next 10 days

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...m=search_10day

It looks like rain for much of my stay from July 11-18. I don't mind - I much prefer that to heat. I almost didn't go due to my worry about excessive heat, so I'm very happy it looks like I don't have to worry.

But can anyone give an idea of what "showers" mean in Paris? Are downpours likely, or would they be more like misty rain? How about thunder and lightning?

I'm leaving in a few hours with my 17-year-old son for London, Paris, and Berlin! Thanks to everyone who has provided so much assistance. I'm hopeful we will be able to carry on everything, since our measurements may be off by a cm or so.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 08:53 AM

SHowers in Paris would be the same as showers anywhere, a steady rain. If they mean light rain, weather.com says "light rain" (which it does have for some of those days). It will say thunderstorms if they expect thunder. Extended forecasts are frequently wrong, and seem to change every few hours so I wouldn't necessarily be discouraged by the forecast, but I would carry and umbrella.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 09:30 AM

I know whenever somebody worries about weather on here with current forecasts, everybody tells them to ignore them and assume it won't happen. Well, it very likely will if it's a current forecast for the next few days. By the end of the ten days, maybe. I have been to Paris maybe half a dozen times in July and it has always rained a lot in July. Some years worse than others (one year it rained about 80 pct of the time), but July is statistically one of the rainiest months in Paris.

French local forecasts in the papers have a lot of weather subtleties which I like and which are rather poetic sometimes -- but showers means showers or it would probably say something different, I agree. It doesn't mean thunderstorms or it would say that. It is not usually a misty rain but real rain and sometimes can be pretty heavy. The one good thing is that usually they don't last for hours or all day. Often it may rain fairly heavily for an hour or so and then the sun will come out for later on.

On the other hand, it rained and rained very hard for 8-10 hours a day in some Julys I've been there and that was rather miserable.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:28 AM

WillTravel-- I've been wondering about the Paris weather, too, since I'll be there from 7/12 - 7/17. The last few days, I've been seriously rethinking the idea of summer clothes after looking at the weather forecast for Paris. Here's the one I've been watching:
http://www.accuweather.com/adcbin/pu...xcountry=EU;FR

I don't know if it's any truer, but the report seems to show a smattering of showers rather than heavy, longlasting rain. But what I find especially startling is just how cool it is for most of the week! By the end of the week, it's predicted to be more seasonably warm -- for most of the week, though, be prepared with layers!

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:23 PM
jay

I have also been to Paris in July. I can't ever remember it raining during the day but it does also thunder and lightning alot at night. Also try the weather channel web site.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:24 PM

I'm in Paris at the moment (forgive any typos - still can't get used to French keyboards: 10pm on Friday night and I'm watching this board - how sad is that?)

Anyway, it has been cool and rainy all day today: that is, I have been more or less comfortable in a cotton polo short and a cheapo plastic rain-jacket, and the weather has varied between what UK forecasters call 'spits and spots' to 5-minute downpours to a steady seepage from the sky for most of the evening so far, with some breaks and the occasional half-hint of a break in the cloud, but not enough to make a sailor's handkerchief. Weather to make one not regret a day checking out the sales and visiting the cinema (in the cinema listings for English-language films, look for VO = Version Originale = English soundtrack with French subtitles; VF= Version francaise.

But I might be a bit peeved if it stays like this....
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

I like the Accuweather forecast better than the weather.com forecast ;-).

I don't have a raincoat, but I think I'll be okay with an umbrella, and I can tolerate temperatures in the 50s without anything more than long sleeves and pants.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Thanks for posting, Patrick. I hope you found some good sales at least!

If the Accuweather forecast is anything like accurate, then Saturday looks pretty damp, Sunday is less so, and by Monday, it's just mixed clouds and sun. Since I arrive on Monday am (!), then I am keeping my fingers crossed that it really IS close to accurate.

Yup, WillTravel, I like Accuweather a lot more than weather.com! I can only say that we hope the fates do, too.

Paule
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 08:25 AM

To me its been fairly cold here. I have been wearing a light jacket in the morning and evening and can sometimes do without in the afternoon. Although we have had lots of rain it has been off and on rather than a constant rain all day. But the rain has been fairly heavy. The french forcast predicted very little rain for the next 3 days with overcast skys with the occassional sun breaking through. I should warm up a little but wont break 70.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Well, be happy you're not riding in the Tour de France! The rains have caused so many crashes it's starting to look more like an old stock car race.
It is supposed to dry out and improve. We're a little north of you and the showers have been HEAVY when they're rolled through, but they don't last. And all things considered, I'll still take this wet and rainy summer over last year's endless heat.
This is the kind of weather where you need your sunglasses AND an umbrella.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 10:55 AM

They can't predict what it's going to do tomorrow let alone next week.Relax and go with the flow.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

I'm back. During the week in Paris, we had some cool days with a little rain, and we had a couple of relatively hot days. I prefer the former, but the latter was quite tolerable due to having very nice air conditioning.