Help with trip planning

Search

Help with trip planning

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with trip planning

My wife and I are planning a trip to Italy for our 10 year anniversary. (We are thinking of 2 weeks.) This will be our first (and most likely our only) trip to Italy. (Alas, it is NOT a small world after all! We have many other countries we want to visit in the future.)

We want to see Rome, Venice, Pompeii, and maybe Florence? Milan? Pisa? or Verona? or a night or two in a small village/coastal atmosphere. We would like to average about $100.00 per night and are willing to stay at budget hotels (our three criteria for hotels are: clean, non-shared bath, and a safe area) If the cost of the room means a slightly longer walk/bus ride to the main attractions, we are fine with that.

We are experienced travellers and are comfortable doing an independent trip. We are also very aggressive when it comes to sight-seeing. We keep an intense pace.
(It's not been a good vacation unless we feel like we need another vacation to rest up afterwards!!!)

Does anyone have any suggestions for hotels in our range? (I realize we may have to settle for much cheaper rates in some places in order to "splurge" in Venice.)

Does anyone have ideas for a good itenerary that will give us a really good overall highlight of Italy? Is there anything we should add or throw out? (I HAVE to see Pompeii!)

What kind of two week iteneraries have you followed? Did they provide the kind of vacation you were after?

Is there more information that I can give to help you, help me?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:31 AM

I'd fly into Venice and out of Rome. If you have a full 14 days in Italy:

4 days Venice, 2 or 3 days Florence (I'm not a big fan of Renaissance art), 3 days Sorrento/Naples or the Amalfi coast, 4 days Rome.

You could reverse it--some people prefer the hustle and bustle of Rome first,ending with the relative tranquility of Venice. Others the opposite. Venice first, Rome last worked well for us.

What time of the year are you traveling? I highly recommend air conditioned hotels if in the summer--and the time of year will also impact your hotel rates.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:37 AM
rex

Unless you mean $100 per night <i><b>per person</b></i>, you're going to have to be creative in allocating your lodging dollars (euros - - since this might only be 70 euros)

Check out www.eurocheapo.com

While it might seem illogical, I think that Florence is a great place to start. You can fly directly transatlantic to Florence, but you can connect non-stop from London, Paris and many other Europe gateway airports.

Then, I might suggest you go to Rome; I'd recommend no fewer than four days/nights; five if you &quot;day trip&quot; to Pompeii - - but it might be worth your while to atually relocate from Rome to a closer (and cheaper) hotel for your day visit to Pompeii (perhaps the night before and the night of - - pick a lower cost place to dollar cost average down your 12 nights of lodging).

Finish with no fewer than two night in Venice and fly home from there.

This does leave you with a lengthy segment between the Pompeii/Naples area and Venice but you may find low cost airfares on www.whichbudget.com

I recommend resisting the temptation to stay on the Lido, or in Mestre to reduce your lodging costs in Venice.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:39 AM

Agree with Rex--don't stay in Mestre or on the Lido to save money in Venice. Maybe Murano, but the old city core is the best by far.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:40 AM

Your particular question is actually quite common here.

I wouldn't try for EVERYTHING on your list - consider dropping Verona and Milan.

Assuming you have 14 days of touring: You'll need 5 or 6 days in Rome (which includes a day tour to Pompeii); 2 or 3 days in Florence; and 3 or 4 days in Venice. That leaves between one to four extra days to see the countryside and/or smaller cities/villages.

However you plan your time, you'll definately want to fly into Rome and out of Venice (or vice versa).

http://www.eurocheapo.com has listings for many central, well reviewed lodgings in your price range (i.e. you won't have to sacrifice location to meet your budget - even in Venice)
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Hi
Time of year? Summer can be a bit nuts in all the places you mention. Late spring, or fall might be better.

Fly into Rome, spend 4-5 nights, you could daytrip to Pompeii by train via Naples, or skip Pompeii and spend half a day at Ostia Antica which is very close, and has more intact ruins.

Take train to Florence. Spend 3 nights, you could daytrip to Siena or another town in Tuscany if you like.

Take train to Venice, spend 3 nights, you can daytrip to Verona if you like, but I'd want the time in Venice.
From Venice, take train to one of the towns on one of the Lakes, I think you have to go through Milan but perhaps not. Stay two nights. (I might skip that myself just to have less moving around or more time in the cities mentioned above, but you said you wanted some village atmosphere and this would give you the lake experience as well)

Last night in Milan, fly home from there.

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the great, super-fast suggestions, so far. I forgot to mention that we are thinking of going in late October. But I'm not sure if that falls out of the &quot;high season&quot; enough to lower our costs and still avoid the worst of the flooding in Venice during that time period. Early springtime is closer to our actual anniversary date and is our second choice. (We are definitely low-season travellers.)

When I mentioned &quot;splurging&quot; in Venice, that is the one place we do want to stay centrally. The other cities will have to make up for this. I did find a place in Rome called &quot;Cosa Kolbe&quot; which is a Friary converted to a hotel. It is near the forum and runs about 80 Euro per night for a double according to Frommer's. (Anyone heard of this place?)
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Hi
I wouldn't let concern about flooding determine my trip to Venice, not as important a factor. When there is flooding it is almost always temporary for a few hours, and primarily affects the San Marco area which is the lowest part. Flooding is often related to the tide schedule as well, that can be checked in advance.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:13 PM
rex

It's C<b>a</b>sa Kolbe - - and there's plenty (good) to say about it on tripadvisor.com

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/S...ome_Lazio.html

October is an excellent month to visit Italy, especially for keeping your costs down (some). Other than slightly shorter days and cooler temperatures (glass half full, glass half empty), it may be one of the <i><b>best</b></i> months!

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:20 PM

Mr.Green if you are going to Italy in October (which I think is a great idea BTW) I would start in Venice and work my way down south.

October can bring rain, cold weather and spectacular thunder storms to Veneto (which is the region Venice is in). So flying into Venice and enjoying that first and than moving on southward will give you the best chance of good weather. Flying into Venice and out of Rome is the way I would do it too.

Have a grand time planning your anniversary trip!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:55 PM

First, if at all possible, stretch this trip to 3 weeks; you won't run out of things to see.

I too think that starting in Venice and working your way south gives you a better chance at good weather. Its pretty easy to get a ticket that will land you in Venice and return you from Rome.

I assume you are fairly young. If so, I would also look at hostels; some of them have rooms with facilities, in addition to the normal barracks type facilities. Some convents also offer very reasonable accomodations.

You could easily see Venice, Florence, and Rome in two weeks, albeit not in depth. Pisa is an easy day trip from Florence. I think Pompeii is easily visited from Rome, about 2.5 hours on the train.

There is no doubt that Rome offers the most to see of your destinations, so I might be inclined to split the first week between Venice and Florence, and spend the second week in Rome. If you do this, you might consider finding an apartment in Rome; often the weekly rate for an apartment is lower than what you would pay for a smaller hotel room. Apartments outside the historical center of Rome are, generally, quite a bit less than those in the heart, but you do sacrifice convenience.

With only two weeks, I would skip Milan and Verona. We spent a week in Florence and didn't see all we wanted, but we are big on art; we didn't go to Pisa, as I had read it was very touristy, and we wanted to get more of Florence.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

I found a hotel in Venice, I was wondering if anyone has heard of.
Al Campaniel.
http://alcampaniel.tripod.com/
AL CAMPANIEL
S.Polo n.2889
in Calle del Campaniel
(Campo San Toma')
30125 Venezia, Italy

Tel: (+39) 041 2750 749
Fax: (+39) 041 2750 749
or (+39) 041 8109 9860

The rates are:

SUPERIOR ROOMS are larger in size, with internal/en-suite bathrooms with shower and are air-conditioned in summer.

STANDARD ROOMS are smaller double rooms, each with their own private (non-shared) bathroom with shower next door to the room. They are airconditioned in summer.

A limited breakfast is available for the moment, consisting of a tray in the room with coffee/tea making facilities with croissants, cake and biscuits (included in the price).

ROOM RATES (per night/per room/including taxes):

SINGLE room: from 40.00 to 55.00 Euros

STANDARD Double room: from 50.00 to 75.00 Euros

SUPERIOR Double room: from 65.00 to 105.00 Euros

SUPERIOR Triple room: from 72.00 to 120.00 Euros
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 09:49 AM

I'm not sure if you're still looking for suggestions on budget hotels, but my fiance and I went to Italy last May and got away with never paying more than 72Euros per night in hotels (in general, they ranged from 60-70E a night) and then in Rome we payed 80Euros but that was for an entire apartment. I will give you the names of everywhere we stayed, with the exception of Venice, because I wasn't impressed with that hotel (Hotel Caprera - clean but small and dingy):

Rome - Booked our apartment through Cross-polinate.com (highly recommend this - they have excellent prices and good service)

Sorrento - Casa Susy B&amp;B - very good deal, a little out of the centre of things, but nice) - paid 70 euros (w/bath)

Florence - Hotel Giappone - 70 Euros (room had shower only, but this place was small and spotless and very very nice)

If you decide to go to Lake Como, which we did, we stayed in Menaggio at the Hotel Garni Corona (60 Euros, with a totally unblocked, fantastic view of the lake - had a full bath too)

I hope this helps you, because it is totally possible to find cheap places to stay, you just have to do the research. A guidebook like Let's Go often has good suggestions as well.

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:36 PM

MrGreen,

Would you be so kind as to check the spelling on Cross-polinate.com; my searcher cannot find it. Thanks

MrBrown
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 02:07 PM
ira

Hi MG,

Al Campaniel has been recommended a few times here.

I almost stayed there, but they wanted a 3-day stay at the time.

It is convenient to the San Toma vaporetto stop.

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 04:17 PM

clevelandbrown:

http://cross-pollinate.com/home.asp?lang=1
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
I will look up the cross-pollinate web-site and check out all the hotels you listed. Did you book these all online before-hand or how did you find them?

I have looked at Al Campaniel's website and they would be perfect, except that my wife is highly allergic to cigarette smoke and they do not provide non-smoking rooms. (I read a review somewhere and the only complaint they had was the odor of smoke in the rooms.) I'd hate to have our vacation ruined by an allergic reaction. They seem like a very nice place otherwise.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 09:42 AM

with an aggressive attitude (like how i plan vacations) 2 weeks is fine.pompeii is a daytrip from rome (but is over 3 hrs each way on the normal train).the remaining 4 hours is enough to see pompeii. study the map of pompeii before you leave (its a city!). i walked right by the Lupanar without noticing it.florence surprise surprise can also be done in a train day trip.the ES train actually takes 20min less to get to florence than naples.
Florence (bridge/church/david) +1 museum of your choice can be seen in a day (except ufizi which had an enormous line of ppl waiting to get in).rome has enough to see to fill a few days.pisa can also be done in a train daytrip from rome. all you have left is venice where you will be lodging and milan, where you could opt to depart from.the lago di garda area (not far from milan) is full of small picturesque sleepy villages(Salo/Desenzano etc) which will meet your atmosphere requirements.