Search

Is inland Spain to hot in July and general trip timing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is inland Spain to hot in July and general trip timing

Hi

I am planning an approximiate 3 month solo trip to Europe for July to early October2011 covering France, Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Greece. Primarily Italy.

The plan was to cover Western France, Spain, Sothern France in July (in that order), Switzerland and Italy in August, Greece and Greek Islands in September, then a final couple weeks in southern Italy to check out my parents hometown and surroundings.

However a friend of mine who is much more widely travelled has strongly advised against going to Spain in July, particuarly areas off the coast such as Madrid, due to the heat.

Other than the final two weeks in southern Italy, I am pretty flexible with the timing.

Quick summary of the 'route' (excluding day trips an minor visits):

Any thoughts about my friend's comments about Spain, and perhaps suggestions for better timing (not only due to weather necessarily)? My immediate thoughts were that a few days in extreme heat are bearable...but perhaps the timing of the route can be improved???

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 04:44 AM

Yes, it will be hot in July in places like Madrid. However, I have been inland in Spain many times in July/ August and not all the times it has been unbearable (close to a 100F), but it could be. How many days have you allocated to Spain? I would suggest you stay mainly in Northern Spain which is delightful (Galicia,Asturias, Cantabria, Basque region). For sure do not go to Southern Spain (ie Andalucia).
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

That was quick!

For Spain the plan unfortunately is to do what you have told me NOT to do (Andalucia). Travel from Bordeaux to Madrid for 3 nights (might stretch to 4 so I can fit in a daytrip), then to the Andalucia region for 5 nights, and 3 nights in Barcelona (a revisit since I was there only briefly for one day and loved it).

Why not Andalucia? I have heard only great things about it but happy to get other views.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 05:16 AM

Andalucia will be incredibly hot in July. We have been in Sevilla in September when the temperature exceeded 100 F. The coast was a little more temperate but, by and large, the south of Spain is very hot from June through September. Is there anyway you can adjust the time of your travel or visit southern Italy before going to Spain last? I don't want to suggest foregoing Andalucia as it is my favorite part of Spain.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 05:22 AM

Andalucia will be <u>hot</u> in July! While I am used to hot summers (90's/100's and humid) it was almost unbearable at times. While it will be hot I wouldn't change my plans to avoid it as you can still have an enjoyable trip. Just be sure to dress appropriately.

We visited in June and the temps were record highs but because of the beautiful environs and that we were surrounded by lovely people the trip was a most memorable one.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 07:46 AM

In Andalucía in July, I would suggest staying at the coast.

I can strongly recommend fabulous Málaga city. Nice beaches and superb and affordable waterfront restaurants in Pedregalejo just east of the city center.
http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/home.htm
http://www.andalucia-travelguide.com...galejo-malaga/

You'll find some of the finest beaches in Spain in the Cádiz region.
http://www.justspain.org/spain/cadiz/cadiz-beaches.asp
http://www.whatcadiz.com/cadiz-beach.html
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Nothing against Andalucia. As other posters have pointed out it will be so hot there that Madrid may feel like a day in the park! A few years ago I was in Sevilla in June and the temps during the day were around 102 F in the shade! We soldiered on and did our sightseeing but it was brutal!

I also recommended Northern Spain not only because the weather will be better, but because I'm very partial to that area. Frankly, it's my preferred area in Spain.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:31 AM

Seville is the place to go. Did anyone mention the heat? I lived there and I remember days in Aug. when it was 110. In the summer San Sebastian is the place, the whole North coast for that matter.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM

In Andalusia the temps will probably be more than 100 - and Madrid is likely to be similar (we were there at the end of April and it was 98). IMHO the only place that moderate in Spain in the summer is the Atlantic cost - so head for San Sebastian - it;s what the Spaniards do (unless they head out of the country). The northern coast near Barcelona can also be not THAT bad as the south but can still be too hot for me,
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the replies...has given me plenty to think about! I will do some weather research to see if there are any expectations this early for weather in Spain around July, and if as hot as everyone suggests, I may need to reconsider the timing - though cannot see how I can move Spain to September without making the whole trip very awkward since I MUST do the last couple weeks in Sth Italy at the end.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Based on the past fourteen years statistics, Málaga would be highs from 82 to 91ºF and lows from 66 to 71ºF in mid July.
http://www.wetteronline.de/Spanien/Malaga.htm
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM

"In Andalusia the temps will probably be more than 100 - and Madrid is likely to be similar (we were there at the end of April and it was 98)"

I visited Madrid and Andalusia in August long time ago...it was HOT, but I was young and not that bothered.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 12:50 PM

Spain isn't going to move, of course it is going to be hot in July. Some miracle is not going to assure that during July 2011 it won't be hot in Andalucia.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 01:24 PM

The heat in Andalucia is very, very dry. We have experienced 112oF in Seville but 88oF in Savannah was far hotter with its huge humidity. We just couldn't walk more than 200 yards.

If you plan days ie air con travel or meals inside during the height of the heat, it really doesn't pose a problem for travel. You just end up living like the locals. Up at 6am out and about, back for a sleep over lunch and up until 1am.

You soon get used to it.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the replies...I like the fact that its a dry heat...hate hhumidit. At thee moment the plan was for Spain in mid July after Paris/Bordeaux, however if I cut out Nice and the French Riviera (probably the part of the trip I'm least keen on), I can start in Spain in early July instead then goto Paris. If I'm very lucky might be a little cooler than mid July.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 07:14 AM

In my opinion the Andalucian coast seldom is unbearably hot. Low 90's is normal highs in the summer months. The Cádiz coast is popular with the Spanish in the summer, as is Torre del Mar just east of Málaga.

Cádiz coast: http://www.andalucia.com/province/cadiz/home.htm
Torre del Mar: http://www.absoluteaxarquia.com/areas/torredelmar.html