12-14 days in Spain

Search

12-14 days in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12-14 days in Spain

We spent 5 wonderful days in Barcelona (wasn't even enough) and a week in Provence and the French Riviera this summer. Thank you all for the information, suggestions,etc.
Special thanks to Stu Dudley- your information on Provence was invaluable. We had an awesome time thanks to all of you. We are two seniors and were concerned about
doing this all on our own but we "pulled it off" thanks to all of you!

This summer we would like to see some other highlights of Spain. We have 12 to 14 days and would like to see the most important and interesting cities that will not get us too wiped out.
We want to start in Madrid for 3 or 4 days with a day trip to Toledo. What else?
Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Rhonda, Marbella??? Any others? Which are important and which can be missed. How many days in each place? We don't want to move every day and want to stay a few nights in choice places. We then thought we would somehow make our way back to Madrid and fly home. Would love some guidance. Thanx
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 05:51 PM

You have way too many places for so few days.

And while I love Andalusia - in the summer it is hot as hell - highs of 100 are frequent and it can get up to 120 during the day - something you may want to consider.

In summer I would go only to the Atlantic coast - along with all the spaniards who can afford to vacation there.
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 06:46 PM

As noted, in the summer you head north or to Cadiz. Green Spain is much more enjoyable in late June-late September when the weather is a bit more tolerable, even though it can get up into the lower 90's in the Basque country in late July, early August.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 12:29 AM

2dasy ago Bilbao was hotter than Seville. Up north it was 30 degs Cent. Rain is now forecast for much of Spain. Weather can mess around a bit at times.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

What if we go in May?
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 05:06 AM

1. Minimize Madrid. Boring, boring, boring. Nothing like Barcelona, at all. It's only worthwhile as a jumping off place for Toledo and El Escorial.

2. If you haven't seen the Alhambra in Grenada, you haven't seen Spain.

3. If you haven't been to the Royal Andalusian School of Equestrian Art show (Thursdays only) in Jerez, you haven't seen Spain. (Get there early. It is conveniently located next to Sandeman, so you can combine it with free sherry tasting).

4. If you haven't stayed in one of the historic paradors, then you haven't seen Spain.

5. The Sevilla and Cordoba are the best cities after Barcelona

6. Among small towns, Ronda and Nerja are the best. Ronda in particular.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 05:16 AM

While I disagree with much of what Popov says, the rest of the posters offer sound advice. IMO, Andalucia is the most interesting part of Spain but I wouldn't suggest going in the summer. The weather in May should be very good.

Madrid and parts of Andalucia should be good if you have 2 weeks. We especially loved Seville, Cordoba and Granada. The "White Villages" are good for a day or so.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 08:35 AM

Popov seems a bit narrow of focus and limited in experience. Spain is as culturally diverse as any western European country can be with 17 autonomous regions, from Andalucia to Valencia, each distinct in its flavor. Madrid, being the center of the country, tends to represent a little bit of everywhere and should not be missed.

The only problem with being in Madrid in the summer is that it tends to be very warm by mid-July, like baking in an oven, which is why everyone who can, heads to the beaches or mountains.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 10:13 AM

We have done Andalusisa twice in April and it was plenty warm - temps in the 80s - beach weather on the Costa del Sol.

May is the absolute latest I would go - and make sure your hotels have good pools and strong AC - and your car has AC as well.

Our trips were one of 10 days and one of 12 - and we still have a ton of things we want to see.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 02:51 PM

we are in Madrid right now ( for the fifth time ) ., obviously , loving it
.from some of the best art museums
n Europe to great restaurants, from lovely tree lined streets of Serrano- Salamnca to elegant
high -end shops . Great architecture, beautiful parks, the Opera,
the Palace, flamenco ..etc
If visitors to Madrid would stops hanging around Sol ,
Cava Baja , and El Corte Ingles and explored the city further than the most touristy,
congested areas they might discover what they are missing.
Old Oct 20th, 2013, 08:50 PM
kja

It seems that I disagree with Popov on virtually every point. Vive la différence.

With 12-14 days, you could see central Spain (Madrid, Segovia, Avila, Salamanca, Cuenca, etc.), or northern Spain - as recommended above.

Good luck1
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 01:51 AM

Bookmarking.
Old Oct 24th, 2013, 12:01 PM

May would be perfect for Andalucia. I would spend 3-4 nights in Seville and do a daytrip to Cordoba. I would spend 2 nights in Cadiz and do a daytrip to Jerez. I would spend 2 nights in Granada and then back to Madrid for 3 or 4 nights with a daytrip to Toledo. If you have extra time add a night or two in Malaga. ronda would be my last choice. It is picturesque but not a lot going on there.