Search

Spain question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain question

I will be studying in Spain his July and my husband is planning on flying over to join me for some travel around southern Spain (Sevilla, Gibraltar, Marbella etc) afterwards. I keep hearing that July and August are the worst times to go. Do you think it would make any difference for the better if he came before my classes (about june 26-jul 6) as opposed to the end (july 29-aug. 6)?
Appreciate any input Thank you!
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Yes, it will be much easier to travel around Spain before the peak season. June will be much quieter than July or August: travel will be easier and accommodation will be more plentiful.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 08:55 AM

In terms of weather either time will be hot hot hot!
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 09:00 AM
car

Much better end of June early July.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Just courious - where willyou be studying?
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Saraht writes: "... I keep hearing that July and August are the worst times to go. Do you think it would make any difference for the better if he came before my classes (about june 26-jul 6) as opposed to the end (july 29-aug. 6)?"

Yes! From mid-July (16 July: la Virgen de Carmen) to early September is Peak season: Many European businesses and factories (incl. Spain's) shut down for the entire month of August - employees all get their (1-month) vacation then.

Marbella and other Beach resorts along the Costa del Sol and Costa de a Luz will be crowded and very expensive (if you can find accomodation). They will be slightly less so in late June-early July.

Inland Andalucia (i.e., not Marbella or Gibraltar unless there happens to be a Sirocco) may be extremely warm during that latter time period also.

A Sirocco (Arabic for 'southerly') occurs when a circulation causes a southerly flow of hot, dry air from the North African desert across to Spain's Mediterranean coast. I've seen conditions associated with Siroccos as far north as Benidorm (Costa Blanca).