Southern Spain - second week in June

Mar 3rd, 2009, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Southern Spain - second week in June

I'm attending a conference in Nice during the end of May/beginning of June and am making plans for a vacation following the conference. I'd love to go to Seville & Granada but am concerned about the heat. I live in a similar climate (and used to live in a hotter climate) but then again, I don't go walking around during the middle of the day.

I can't get enough time off of work before the conference to travel to Spain.

Has anyone been to southern Spain during the first half of June? Is it too hot?

Thanks for he help.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM

I live in southern Spain, and though it is hot, hottest weeks are in July/August. But it also depends where in the region: in Cordoba, Seville or Jaen can be hot to very hot, whilst in the coast it'll be milder.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:56 AM

I was in Ronda, Granada and Barcelona from June 12 to 22 '04. It was hot, but not unbearable. (I live in N.C., where I dash from my AC car to my AC house, but I grew up in England.) However, I coped by staying in the shade when possible (who ARE those crazy people who choose to eat lunch sitting in full sun?) and taking a siesta in my AC hotel room. Since the Spanish eat dinner very late, the siesta not only helps you stay cool, it makes the meals work out better.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:05 AM

Be aware that many (in fact, most) places in Southern Spain are not air-conditioned, e.g. bars, restaurants, shops, museums.

To cope with the heat, you must adapt to Spanish lifestyle which is mostly nocturnal. The heat is the reason why Spaniards go to dinner not before 10 p.m. and spend a good part of the night awake (they sleep in the afternoon).

BTW, at the Cote d'Azur, the climate will be beautiful in May/June!
Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I used to live in Arizona so I know better than to go out in the sun during the heat of the day.

I'm fine with getting up early, taking a long nap, and then going out again when it's cooler. (My daughter jokes that I excel at napping.) I'll make sure to rent a place with air conditioning for comfortable napping.

Thanks again. I'm so excited about going to both the Cote d'Azur & Spain.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM

Personally, I do not find Southern Spain THAT hot in early June. Very warm, yes. Unbearably hot, no. After all, the reliably warm weather is one of Andalucia's biggest assets re. tourism.

If I had to compare it with a summer day in AZ, I'd say it takes a bit longer in the morning hours (maybe until 1100 or noon) in Spain until it gets really warm.
The traditional siesta hours from 1300 - 1700 are the hottest. If your hotel had a pool, it would sure be a plus.
Mar 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM

Just make sure you choose a hotel with air con in case you get a hot week. I don't find southern Spain too hot at that time of year but there could be a heatwave and it's nice to be able to sleep comfortably.