Rome to Sorrento

Jan 9th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Rome to Sorrento

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Rome and Sorrento. I have to fly in and out of Rome because I am using ff miles and AA only goes to Rome. I plan on doing Sorrento first so I will be near Rome airport for return trip which is in the am. I know I can take a train from airport to train station in Rome, train to Naples and then to Sorrento, but the idea of a 3 leg trip after a long overnight flight seems daunting especially considering we have back issues and are overpackers (I know, not smart on our part).

I am thinking it may be a good idea to build in the cost of a private driver to meet us at Rome airport and take us to Sorrento. I know it is a ton of money ($350 euro?) and we would have to save somewhere else.

If anyone knows of a good driver or company to use, especially someone who is reliable and maybe less than others, I would love to know. Wondering whether others who have made the trip think this is a good idea or think the 3 train plan is not so bad. I understand the car ride is 3-4 hours and I assume the train route would probably end up the same with all the connections. I am also wondering what the train trip costs so I can figure out the difference. I'm guessing maybe 100 e vs. 350 for the 2 of us.
Jan 9th, 2011, 05:48 AM

I can't comment about prices but we've done Sorrento, Naples, Rome by train and I don't think I would do it in reverse and adding the airport after an overnight flight. The private driver would be so much easier and less stressful if you can swing it financially.
Jan 9th, 2011, 05:53 AM

...wanted to add that the 3 train option is not hard to figure out or navigate per se, but it will seem overwhelming after the flight...
Jan 9th, 2011, 06:31 AM

Currently, on the fastest trains, in 2nd class, you'd pay about 14 + 44 + 4 Euro each - say €124 for two.

Another alternative might be to spend the first night in Rome, and then come down this way fresh the next day?

Prices for the Rome/Naples journey on the slower trains start at just 10.50 Euro...

Your arrival time could affect your choices, and you might also look into taking a second flight, down to Naples?

Peter
Jan 9th, 2011, 08:19 AM
GAC

Depending on your day and time of arrival at Roma FCO airport, here is another, less stressful option:

1. Airport train (FR1, not Leonardo da Vinci express, train) to Roma TIBURTINA Station (8 Euros);

2. Curreri afternoon bus at 14:00 (16 Euros) or Marozzi afternoon bus at 15:00 (17.50 Euros) direct to Sorrento (no changes or connections). Travel time 3.5 hours (Curreri) or 4 hours (Marozzi).

www.curreriviaggi.it
www.marozzivt.it

You must look up the bus schedule for your departure date, since the schedules are seasonal and Curreri does not operate this route on Sundays, nor during the winter months.

Personally, I believe that the cost of a private car/driver from FCO all the way to Sorrento is confiscatory, but this is a very personal decision and others would certainly disagree. Some would recommend taking a fast train to Naples, then a private transfer, which would reduce the cost considerably. The bus solution outlined above might be a very good and a very inexpensive option, provided that the schedules work out.
Jan 9th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

GAC...Is Tiburtina Station a train station where the bus departs from as well? Wondering what the cost of a taxi would be to get there from the airport - any idea? That might be the least stressful way to do this without spending a fortune. Also, am I to understand that these 2 buses only depart once per day from Tiburtina?
Jan 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
GAC

Yes. Many intercity buses depart from the Tiburtina bus depot, which is adjacent to the Tiburtina train station. A taxi to Tiburtina from FCO will cost 45-50 Euros. The airport train to Tiburtina costs 8 Euros per person (children under 12 pay 50%, and toddlers under 4 travel free).

Look up the bus schedules for your date of departure, because the schedules change according to season and day of the week. In summer, Marozzi adds an early morning departure (not useful for morning connections from FCO), and Curreri operates only from April 4 though October 30 (and never on Sundays).

Be aware that if your flight arrives at FCO early to mid-morning, you might arrive at Tiburtina station too early for the mid-afternoon bus (especially if you take a taxi). In that case, you might as well "take it slow and easy" and perhaps even take the airport train to Tiburtina Station (45 minute-travel time), after a refreshment break at the airport.