Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

top three destinations in Spain - any recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner and I are traveling to Spain in the last week of July for the first time. We have about a week in Spain and hope to visit a few cities (would love to go to Morocco if logistically sensible) by train. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 07:21 AM

With only a week pick a region. To see Spain you really need 4 trips of 2 weeks each. My favorite destinations are all in different regions and start with "S"--Seville, Salamanca, and San Sebastian. The first is in Andalusia, perhaps the best region of Spain. The next is in central Spain and is easy to see from Madrid along with Segovia and Toledo. The last is in the Basque region and does not fit with the rest of Spain. So, get a good guide book, perceive Spain by regions, and then pick one. It will very hot in July, and the further south the hotter. Are you sure you do not want to see Ireland--a good July destination.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your perspective!! I am focused on Barcelona (so I guess I will be focusing on the Cataluna region) mostly because it is close to Paris where we would be coming from via a sleeper train. Ireland is a good suggestion - never been there and good weather is certainly a factor to consider!

Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 07:07 AM

Well, that is a much different scenario.
Catalonia fits with France--it helps to know the facts.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 10:32 AM

This is for bobthenavigator or whoever can give me any ideas:
I have 8 days (7 nights) in spring to travel to Spain with my husband and 13 yr old son. I am thinking of either Andalusia or Barcelona (and the Catalunya). Which area do you think would a teen enjoy better?
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 11:19 AM

No question--Andalusia is the best of what you think of as classical [Moorish] Spain. In 7 days, I would train to Seville for 3 nites, then get a car and drive the white villages via Arco to Ronda, and end in Granada. Your flights will dictate the timing and nites in Madrid. Toledo is worth half a day if it works in your routing.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Thanks for your reply. We are not planning to go to Madrid this time. Do you recommend flying directly to Seville and maybe out of Granada. We plan to visit Seville with daytrip to Cordoba and possibly Ronda then spend the last few days in Granada. Is this possible without a car?