spain spain spain

Search

spain spain spain

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spain spain spain

A bunch of questions. Staying in Barcelona, Madrid, Seville. Have 2 weeks could you add cities that would be great to travel to and some to stay in Example, Toledo, Rhonda. Girona WHat about the costa brava or basque. Where are there great paradors? what city is the best for flamingo show. Thanks in advance we need help
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:08 PM

Well - let me know if you find a flamingo show - I might go back to Spain just to see that!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:28 PM

Wylie, with only 2 weeks you will do well to see the Madrid area and Andalusia. Barcelona, the Costa Brava, and the Basque region makes a great trip, but that is another 2 weeks. We have done 4 trips to Spain and still have not seen it all. Andalusia deserves at least 10 days. Good luck !
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 04:48 PM

I thought Seville was known for flamingo dancing. natjgc
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Great flamenco at Los Gallos in Sevilla. I suggest you go to bookstores and check out guides about Spain, also check out some of the following websites, as well as this one, of course: spainalive.com, aboutspain.net, spainlist.com, okspain.org, tourspain.es, red2000.com.

Spain is absolutely fabulous. We're going back in May--bought a 5 day Parador card at parador.es.

Have fun planning.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:20 AM

wylie writes: "Message: ... Staying in Barcelona, Madrid, Seville. Have 2 weeks ... what city is the best for flamingo show. "

Yes, you do need help!

2-weeks barely gives you enough time to scratch the surface: you'll need a few days for Barcelona; add another for MontSerrat. Although everyone will tell you Sevilla is best for Flamenco, many of the 'world class' Flamenco artists (Bailaores, Guitarristas y Cantaores) are in Barcelona. There's a large Gypsy population in Barcelona.

You could conceivably make a detour to San Sebastian or Bilbao after Barcelona but it wouldn't really give you time to savor the Basque culture or cuisine.

Daytrips from Madrid: Toledo, Segovia, el Escorial (for San Lorenzo Monastery, not for the Valle de los Caidos). Then you need some 3-days for Madrid itself.

Sevilla is nice! Daytrip to Ronda may be a bit too far. Try Arcos de la frontera for 'white villages' closer to Sevilla.

Any other advice wiuld depend on when you are planning this visit to Spain

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 12:54 PM

Ignore the snotty flamingo comments and have a great time in Spain! (It's "flamenco," just so you know.)

Definitely check out some guide books -- you might want to go to your local bookstore, grab a chair and a handful of books and see which one works for you. Rick Steves' series has some good info. Note that his lodging tends to be budget end and his maps look user friendly but aren't great. I tend to like Rough Guides and Footprint guides for really detailed info.

A wonderful site by a frequent Fodor poster (in the past) who is a true expert on Spain is: www.maribelsguides.com.

Do NOT try to include the north of Spain in this trip. I think you can do Barcelona, Madrid (plus a day trip or two) and Seville in two weeks, but you will cramming too much in if you go north.

Get on the Parador website to see what some of the Paradors look like. (www.parador.es). Most guidebooks will recommend a few favorites.

Good luck and have a ball!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 01:35 PM

we are doing a similar trip in late March/early April. This is how I've broken it down - fly into Madrid - spend 1.5 days there to see Prado and the Palace. Take the train to Seville and spend three days there. Rent a car and drive to malaga. Spend three days there. Fly on Iberia or Spanair to Barcelona (46e/person is pretty cheap) and spend three days there. Fly from Barcelona to Madrid again for 46e/person. Overnight in Madrid and catch an early flight home. It will be busy but we are planning to see only major sites. Plan for Seville is to see a bullfight and flamenco show for sure; Alhambra while in Malaga and Soccer match in Barcelona. DH has been to Barcelona before and will be our tour guide for those three days. I know it will be hectic but we aren't the type of family to spend an hour or two sitting in a cafe people watching.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

i know i know i made a mistake Flaminco, not flamingo that on my lawn.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:02 AM

Maybe you can spend one week in Madrid and Barcelona possibly with a day trip to Toledo and/or Segovia. The second week in Sevilla, Granada and Cordoba and see the main sites in these three cities. I would go to Granada or Cordoba before visiting Ronda.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:49 AM

Oh - so not flamingo shows? (It's actually flamenco.)

I thought maybe it was like one of those shows at Busch gardens - with the parrots that have been taught to rollerskate and play basketball.