Hotel by Piazza della Signoria

Old May 1st, 2005, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel by Piazza della Signoria

Hello all,
I'm looking for a hotel that over looks the Piazza della Signoria in Florence, and for once, I'm stumped. Are there any hotels w/modern amenities there since it's all old palazzos? It's my mother's second trip there, and it's the one piazza she loves most for the art. Thanks!
Margaret
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:56 AM

Maybe you're thinking of this one?

http://www.inpiazzadellasignoria.com/

We stayed there, with my parents last December. Beautiful hotel, wonderful breakfast, lovely rooms and very helpful staff. The kitchen is even available for you to use if you wish to prepare something or just get a cold drink from the fridge. Excellent location as you can see. We had the 2 rooms that overlooked the Piazza. Here and portion of my trip report about the hotel:

We caught 2 cabs to the B&B in Piazza della signoria on dei maggazini #2. You press the buzzer and Monica will let you in. The hotel is on multiple levels. When you enter, you walk down a short hallway to get to the staircase or the tiny lift (mainly used for luggage). Up a flight to the level with the office and a couple of rooms, up another level to more rooms, a third level has the kitchen and breakfast room and the last level has a private room. Monica was so friendly and gave us the run-down on the hotel. They offer use of the kitchen and unlimited high-speed internet from a laptop on a desk..free of charge.

The rooms are just like they are on the website. We had the Botticelli, a triple with a beautiful modern bath and a large comfortable bed. It looked partly onto the famous piazza. My parents, next door were in the Michelangelo. Lovely canopied bed and modern tiled bath with all windows looking onto the piazza. They were also double-paned and double shuttered to prevent noise...ours were not.

Monica was quick with restaurant and museum reservations whenever asked, as well as, calling cabs which arrived in less than 5 minutes when called.

She told us that someone in the Medici family used to live in the building and that all the frescoes were original. My parentís rooms have a lovely fresco on the ceiling.

The breakfast was very good. You go up to the breakfast room and everyone sits at a long wooden table. The room is full of original oil paintings, all very lovely, with windows that look over the piazza. They first bring out plates with a variety of breads. There are already jams and jellies on the table as well as pitchers of fresh, luscious blood orange juice. Then the plates of ham and cheese arrive and eggs too if you'd like. The coffee (any style) keeps coming as well. Having others at your table certainly opens up the possibility of conversation that you might not have started in the first place.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:22 AM

Sandi---enjoyed reading about the Piazza della Signoria. Your description sounds like a hotel to consider on my next trip to FL. I learned on my first trip to Italy that when a hotel may be described as being built into a former palace that it may not necessarily a palatial accomodation! The quiet room sounds especially nice.
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much! After much research and sleepless nights (for me), my mother decided to stick with the Hotel Laurus off the Duomo instead.

I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind, and check them out while I'm there for our next visit. First, we'll be visiting Il Porcellino to ensure a return trip
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:49 AM

try to steal a glance at the B&B I mentioned....especially if you can see the rooms we stayed in. I think you'll love it.
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

I'll indeed do that, it looks absolutely gorgeous on the website, and the rates aren't so bad considering the location and view.
Old May 6th, 2005, 12:48 PM

BTW- there may only be a small plaque by the door if even that. Just notate the address and there'll be a buzzer by the door.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:35 AM

Relais Uffizi is housed in the same building as Soggiorno Antica Torre. My mom would never be able the stairs to get to the lift so that might be a consideration.

A nice hotel very close to the Piazza is the Berchielli. I have stayed there twice and would highly recommend it.