Reload this Page >

Hotels in Rome--HELP

Search

Hotels in Rome--HELP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:20 AM
traveler

Hotels in Rome--HELP

Please give feedback on Hotel Navona, Residenza Zanardelli, Albergo del Senato and Santa Chiara hotels for couple with teenager. We are pretty particular about size, charm, cleanliness. Looking to visit Rome at Christmas.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Rex

Albergo rates highly on your three criteria - - and excellent location to boot - - and priced accordingly. I have stayed there and recommended to others, who have come back with strongly positive comments. From what I have been able to gather about Santa Chiara, it is very comparable.<BR><BR>Rsidenza Zanardelli has comments here which you can easily locate with the search function. I think they were mostly positive comments.<BR><BR>You might also look at Fodors Rants'n'raves.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 08:50 AM
up

topping, for traveler<BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 08:58 AM
aMom

I can only speak for the Santa CHiara, not the others. We stayed there (family of 4), in one of their family rooms (a 2 room suite, not one of the apts). It was a decent size. The shower stall was on the small side (no tub). It's very clean but the room wasn't particularly charming. The common spaces of the hotel are very nice. The buffet breakfast was excellent.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Janice

We had a very unpleasant stay at the<BR>Residenza Zanardelli in October, which we booked through the Hotel Navona. Although we had booked a double room many months in advance, we were given a tiny single and could not change because both hotels were full. All rooms seemed to have the same small wardrobe, which was not adequate. Our bath was clean and modern, but again tiny, with no space to put toiletries. The breakfast room is pint sized too- one table - and breakfast is served from 8:30 until 9:30 only. Coffee is served from a thermos. I think you could do much better in Rome. For the Piazza Navona area, you might also want to consider the Hotel Due Torri.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Michelle

We were in Rome in October also. Will have a trip report posted soon. We stayed at the Due Torri, a stones throw from Zanardelli. Very nice rooms. We needed a triple and got a triple, which is actually a double with a small single connected. We also got a view out on the terra cotta roof tops, which was cool. <BR><BR>Although probably more expensive than the Zanardelli, it was very quiet and helpful. Would stay again.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:01 PM
sssss

topping

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:27 AM
traveler

Michelle,<BR>Thanks for replying. When you stayed at the Due Torri, did you find it convenient to walk to Coloseum, Forum, Pantheon, etc. ALso, any reports on cleanliness, bathroom, tub and shower, etc... We are pretty fussy so any details appreciated.<BR><BR>To All: Also, any feedback on Barocco apts. or Villa San Pio?<BR><BR>Need help with a restaurant for Christmas Eve, too.....<BR>thanks!!<BR>

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Michelle

Dear Traveler:<BR><BR>The Due Torri was less than ten minutes from the Pantheon and only 2 minutes to the Piazza Navona. The location is great. We went to the Pantheon area almost every night, our favorite place to hang out. It would be about 15-20 minutes, at a leisurly stroll to the Forum area. We were also about 20 minutes to St. Peter's. It was very clean and charming, but small, which is typical in the older buildings. The bathroom was newly remodeled, the best we had in Italy, but very tiny. It had only a shower, no tub.<BR><BR>I would stay there again. Their croissants were the freshest and yummiest we had on our trip. <BR><BR>Good luck and have a nice trip.<BR>Michelle

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:44 AM
elaine

Rex's favorite is the del Senato, mine is the Santa Chiara and since feedback on both is almost always good you can't go wrong either way.<BR>Santa Chiara is less than 5 minute walk from Pantheon, about 10 minutes to Piazza Navona, which means it has a wonderful location (as does the del Senato which is at the Pantheon.)<BR><BR>At the Santa Chiara I've stayed in a single which was quite small but very comfortable. I had lots of hanging space, not any drawer space. Don't know how larger rooms differ. I met another couple staying at the hotel in a double, and they were also very pleased. Bathroom moderately spacious, although the shower stall was very narrow.<BR>Ask for a room facing the back so you don't hear Vespas roaring at night. It's on a small street, but it seems to be a Vespa shortcut.<BR>Decor very pleasant, nice lobby and lounge area. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Made whatever reservations for me that I needed. Outstanding breakfast buffet (included) with pastries, fruit, yogurt, cereals, cold meats and cheeses, excellent coffee.<BR><BR><BR>I have a file on Rome; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Rex

Elaine, could you let me know if you received an e-mail from me?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Kent

The Santa Chiara was very comfortable, in a great location and the coffee is to die for!!! If nothing else, it's worth staying there just for the coffee <BR><BR>Kent

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 12:14 PM
AREAP

MY HUSBAND &amp; I STAYED AT THE DUE TORRI IN FEB 2002. IT WAS A VERY CLEAN HOTEL AND SO CLOSE TO EVERYTHING. WE WALKED EVERYWHERE . THE AREA IS WONDERFUL FOR RESTAURANTS. THERE IS ONE RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER FROM THE HOTEL. NAME ESCAPES ME, BUT I CAN LOOK FOR THE INFO. FOOD WAS DELICIOUS AND REASONABLE.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 04:18 PM
gen

We just got back last night from 8 nights at the Due Torri. It was great. I'd stay again. The staff was wonderful, room nice, location great, bathroom very modern and spotless, and the breakfast was very good.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Vicki

We stayed at the Del Senato last summer with two teenagers. We stayed in a Senior Suite on the 6th (?) floor. It was pricey, but had two rooms, a bedroom and a living room with a sleeper sofa and a small balcony looking right out on the Pantheon. It was awesome!! The breakfasts were great, there is a rooftop bar, and the conceirge was great. One night, we cam back to find that there was a movie showing on an outdoor screen in the Plaza below - its one of my favorite memories, sitting on the balcony in front of the Pantheon with an italian film showing on the Plaza six stories below. They also had junior suites, but I do not know what they are like.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Susie

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Navona last spring and I would not recommend it. The owner is a bit arrogant, the vespas plentiful, and the breakfast was a small loaf of bread and coffee. I loved the location, so I will check out recommendations here for this spring. Any website addresses for Santa Chiara, del Senato or Hotel Due Torri? Thanks.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Vicki

www.albergodelsenato.com<BR>

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Ingrid

My family stayed at the Hotel Due Torri two summers ago and had a wonderful time. It was one of those experiences we couldn't have planned, but which made the trip to Rome special. We'd spent a week in Paris and took a night train to Rome. Although we love Paris, the contrast in cultures was apparent the minute we got off the train. A &quot;colorful&quot; taxi driver approached us with his very dilapidated car -he had to rope our luggage into his trunk - and proceeded to give us a running expository of the city as we drove to the hotel. At first I was thinking he was only being so charming and helpful to make the taxi drive longer, but he got us to the hotel in no time at all - in fact the ride was too short! As he took us to the hotel he spoke very highly of it. My suspicions of being set-up somehow, started up again, but when we got to the hotel, he introduced us to the lady behind the desk as if we were very important customers! My husband was so happy with him that he tipped him very well. The lady behind the desk spoke to the driver briefly and when the driver left looked at my husband with a huge smile and said with a beautiful Italian accent, &quot;Thank you, you've made his day with your tip.&quot; Turns out she owned the hotel (Cynthia is her name) and she happended to be there taking care of things while her staff was on vacation! She was spectacular and made the stay there fantastic. She was helpful with our sightseeing itinerary even suggesting my teenage girls try to hook-up with her teenage daughter to see the &quot;teenage&quot; Rome (we didn't have time). She also gave us fabulous restaurant suggestions. The hotel was a 1-2 minute walk to Pizza Navona, and very convenient to the Pantheon, shopping, the colliseum and all the sights. We walked everywhere! The rooms were nice - very clean and I had the most lovely cappucino's every morning. The staff was helpful and gracious. If you can, stay there. I'm sure you won't be disappointed! Search this site on Hotel Due Torri and you'll find lots of positive comments!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 04:26 AM
traveler

thanks everybody! great comments!!<BR><BR>Any feedback on restaurants serving the 7 fishes Christmas eve dinner??