Hertz Dublin Airport- Any Sleaze?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be renting a small manual econobox at Dublin airport, returning to Shannon, June 18-22. Hertz , through the US website had a 15% off discount, and I have the cherished World Mastercard with with MasterRent that covers CDW and Theft in Ireland. The Hertz booking is about 80E with only airport terminal fee clearly included (and they know about the dropoff). The website mentions the use of this Mastercard, but does not clearly indicate a fee for its use, nor are there any specific documentation requirements.

I have a copy of the MasterRent agreement and a print from by CitiBank website indicating that MasterRent applies to my flavor of credit card.

I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with Hertz at the Dublin Airport and attempted to use a credit card with MasterRent coverage. Did they push back or roll over?

I really think I have the documented proof that a reasonable person would need to avoid a hassle, but I don't want to get there and have to fight for my "rights". Any experiences with them?

Rick
Old May 31st, 2009, 08:06 PM

I will be in the same situation in August and would also appreciate knowing how this has gone for people recently...
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 04:49 AM

We rented from Hertz at the Dublin Airport in April (booked online) using our World MC. My spouse did the paperwork while I was dealing with luggage and when I came to the desk to show the documentation that World Mastercard sent me, the clerk said everything was fine and that he didn't need to see it. No pain, no strain.
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

longhorn55-
Did they add a service fee for accepting the MasterRent CDW coverage?

Rick
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 12:24 PM

No, all we were charged was the rental rate, taxes and a location service charge--which were all spelled out on the confirmation we received online after we booked the rental.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

To follow-up my own question with experience, we rented the car from Hertz Dublin Airport last Thursday and returned it yesterday (Monday). They readily accepted my World Mastercard insurance without a struggle and asked for no additional fees. We dropped it at Shannon and the total bill was 80E (after a 15% discount on the Hertz website that has probably expired ). The only pressure was from the chap named Donal who really, really thought we Yanks ought to have a bigger car to plod the overgrown cow paths they like to think of as roads in western Ireland. I thanked him kindly , but rejected his suggestion of a car big enough to ride in comfort that would fit all our luggage (we had just handcarried one bag each weighing less than 10kg off Ryanair). We wound up with a Peugeot 207 manual without A/C which did our business (gearchange was a bit tricky to get sorted). Anything bigger would have been squeezed by tour buses and bridges and stone walls. Anyway, Hertz was fine- no surprises. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Rick

Rick