Car Rental Shannon/Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me the best agency to book through? We just want an automatic for 2 of us. Thank you.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 03:16 PM

There are a bunch of threads on this. A lot of people on this site swear by Dan Dooley. I rented with them once, and never will again (waited 20 minutes for the shuttle, long distance from the terminal, gave us older car that drove like a roller skate). I usually use National/Alamo, although now that I live here, I haven't rented with them for the past year. I've also rented with Avis and Hertz and haven't had any problems.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 09:21 PM

gemjab,

You're going to get glowing reviews and bad experiences on the very same company, no matter the company. Weigh what you get with the facts you get from research elsewhere - these things change.

Compare prices and make sure that you are comparing apples to apples. That the final price reflects the taxes and insurance coverage, CDW, if you need it. Come credit card companies provide coverage. Check before you price. Also decide the size and transmission type you need. Don't go any bigger in size than you have to for you and your luggage. Automatics are substantially more, but Ireland is not the place and vacation isn't the time to teach yourself to drive a stick. Invest the extra if you don't already drive a manual.

My own personal experience with Irish car rentals is with Argus Rentals www.argusrentals.com and were satisfied with the car, the price and the service. We'll use them again. Down side - not a large outfit and a little ways from terminal in Dublin.
As I said, shop and compare, once you know exactly what you're shopping for.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 09:22 PM

Make that "Some credit card companies"
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 04:33 AM

We rented with Hertz through AutoEurope and had no problems at all. I think Hertz must be a major company over there as we saw tons of Hertz stickers (also plenty of Dan Dooley, which we had checked out but they were more expensive than Hertz through AutoEurope). We picked up in Dublin airport and dropped off at Shannon. Shannon is a much smaller airport and much easier to drive into out/of if that makes a difference for you. (But the very nice girl at the Hertz desk in Dublin airport gave us excellent directions which was very helpful).