Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dublin Car Rental Pick Up/Drop Off Locationg Problems

Feb 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are currently trying to rent a car in Dublin, and we would prefer to do it at the airport, as it will be easier to get in/out of and to the main highway. However, we DO NOT plan to rent/pick up the car as soon as we fly in to Dublin, as we plan to take public transport until we are ready to leave the city for the countryside. Also, we intend to drop off our vehicle the night before the flight out, rather than the day of. We can't afford extra rental days that we won't use.

Here are the problems: For airport pick up/drop off, most rental places seem to state that they need you flight number and time. However, since we're not planning to pick up/drop of the car on those days, I worry that we will not be able to rent from the airport, is that true?

Also, we plan to pick up the vehicle early in the morning (around 7 am) and drop off 7 days later around 8 pm. Will any rental places be open during these times? Will the airport rental desks even be open then?

Thank you for all your help!
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM

I don't claim to know the terms & conditions of every rental car company, but stating flight # and time has always been optional for me. Have rented from AP locations (not DUB though!) without giving that information on reservation.

Rental car desks are open appr. 6am - 11.30pm (Hertz/Avis) at DUB. I would use the location finder feature of your preferred company to check if they follow that scheme of the big ones.

In general, I would assume that you will lose twice the time for going to the AP to pick up your car than picking it up in a Central Dublin location. The only exception may be if you want to go North. If you want to go to any Southern destination like Cork or Limerick, you will probably spend some time in the morning traffic on the A50 which goes around Dublin.

You will avoid the city streets of Dublin, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle.
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:55 PM

We rented our car at the airport in Dublin this summer. We arrived late one night, took a shuttle to our hotel, and then picked our car up the next morning. On our return, we returned the rental car the evening before our flight out and took the return shuttle to our airport area hotel again. We rented in the US using AutoEurope, but the agency used in Ireland was Europcar. This pick up a day later and drop off the day before our flight arrangement worked fine for us. Here is a link to my trip report with more details http://tinyurl.com/2y98ky. My entry dated 8/28/07 is where the Ireland portion of our trip began. Hope this helps and enjoy your trip!
Feb 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM

When I was exploring car rental options for May, I discovered that selecting any pickup point other than the Dublin Airport resulted in a much reduced choice of cars. So even though we'll have been in Dublin for three days, we're going back out to the airport to pick up the car.

el
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:24 PM

I too have never had a problem putting down flight numbers. As I remember it was always optional for my reservations as well, though I can't speak for all companies.

I have not yet picked up a car at the Dublin AP, but I have been told, and read in other posts, that if you do there is an additional charge, as well as a refeuling surcharge. I'm assuming that would make it more expensive, however I have't gotten this far in my planning.

Post what you find out, I also would like to know either way.

Have fun!
JRK
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Well, I ended up doing the pickup/drop off at the airport (and this one didn't require me to list flight info) because it allows for our early morning departure from Dublin on Bank Holiday (other pickup points had incredibly limited hours that day), and allows up to drop off after 8 pm (when most places close). It may be a little bit out of the way (though we will be arriving for drop off from the north), but it saves the headache of very inconvenient opening times AND it ended up costing $100 less than at the city location.
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

I booked ours with autoeurope.com. It's an automatic economy car, $275 for 8 days w/inclusive insurance and taxes(not bad considering it's split between two people in terms of cost).
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

ack, I meant, the taxes and inclusive insurance are included in the $275.00 price. All we have to pay extra is the $30-something dollar pickup charge at the airport.
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM

Usually is more economical to pick up rental away from airport. Check all options w/agency.
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

I checked with pickup away from the airport, there was only $10 difference and it was much less convenient. I'm pretty happy with the deal we got!