Help choosing Paris Hotel

Old Apr 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help choosing Paris Hotel

Hello Fodors Friends,
I am in the process of researching hotels in Paris for this summer. My 12 year old daughter and I are spending a week in Paris together before meeting my husband in Provence for a family wedding. I am looking for a hotel with the following criteria:

around 200 Euros (or less) per night
I prefer the boutique type hotel
safe area with lots of restaurant/cafe choices nearby
lots of charm
fairly close to a Metro station

As for area, I have been concentrating my search in the Marais and St. Germain de Pres areas. I am open to other areas, but want to be in an excellent location with lots to see, do and eat within walking distance.

The hotels I am considering so far are:
Hotel le Petit Paris
Hotel les Fontaines du Luxembourg
Hotel Odeon St. Germain
Hotel Saint - Louis en L'Isle
Hotel des Deux-Iles
Hotel du Petit Moulin

Have any of you stayed at these hotels, and if so, what do you think? Do you think I should look at other areas or stick with Marais and/or St. Germain de Pres?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

A
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM

This past December we stayed at the "Hotel Ares Eiffel Paris" it is in a good location very close to Metro, RER and Eiffel Tower.Its a Small Boutique hotel very clean, with beautiful bathrooms, bedrooms are nicer in person than decor appears on web site, it ran about 235euro/night I thought it was a deal considering its location and how nice the rooms & bathrooms are. Hope this helps, we have also stayed at the Hotel West End which is more expensive, I like the location a little better at the west end but the rooms better at the Ares
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Travelbugmd,
Thank you for your reply. I love the look of the Hotel Ares Eiffel Paris and I found a rate around 212 Euros/night! What did you think of the surrounding area? Are there restaurants and cafes within walking distance?

Thanks,
A
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 06:55 AM

I like Hotel Dauphine on Rue Dauphine, we had a superior twin in early March for around 165€, good sized, beautifully decorated room and excellent bathroom. Desk staff very helpful.

We had planned to go back end of May, rate quoted was 185€. I would try online.

Breakfast is extra and we thought not worth the price, I think 9 for continental and 16 for buffet and eggs.

Lots of restaurants of varying quality in the area.
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 07:12 AM

We stayed at the hotel le petit this past November.

Very nice and helpful staff, wonderful breakfast, great location.

It is within walking distance from the metro with plenty of resaurants in the area.

We are planning to return to Paris in the fall and plan to stay there again.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I'm struggling right now with location vs. quality of hotel. While I absolutely love the look of the Hotel Ares Eiffel Paris, I think I would rather be in a different location. I have been to Paris a few times, but I have never stayed in the Marais or the Saint-Germain de Pres areas. I really want to be able to walk to restaurants and cafes and I'm afraid that the 7th, while lovely, might be a little too "quiet" for what I'm looking for.

I'll check out the Hotel Dauphine and revisit the Hotel Le Petit.

Thanks,

A
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 04:08 PM

I've stayed at Hotel Odeon St Germaine last Oct. I think it has all tha you are looking for- although I'm surprised you can get it for 200E. Many restaurants, cafes, Rue de Buci, close to Odeon metro etc. The hotels on I'le St Louis, while they may be very desirable for adult travelers, the Island is sedate and may not have as much activity and excitement for a 12 yr old
Old Apr 16th, 2011, 05:01 PM

We are about to stay at Hotel Sainte Beuve for the 2nd time, a lovely boutique-style hotel - very secure with wonderfully helpful service. Very understated. (I don't think the website does it justice). It is in the 6th on a small, quiet one-block street but only 1 block from Cafe Vavin and a very good patisserie, the Hop on- Hop off bus stop, the Metro and scads of restaurants (on Rue Ste Beuve, Rue Vavin and Montparnasse). 2 short blocks to Luxembourg Gardens. We walked everywhere from here. You may like to be in the midst of the action, though. We prefer to be near it but not in it. I would stay here if I were traveling solo or with a child, most certainly.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 05:49 AM

Dear A,

I posted yesterday that we stayed at the hotel le petit.
My apologies, but i listed the wrong hotel name.
We actually stayed at Hotel De Littre. I am sorry for the miscommunication, but wanted to inform you.

As I mentioned in the other post, this was a great hotel and we plan to return in the fall. I hope you have a wonderful time in Paris!
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 06:32 AM

In June/July 2009 my wife and I spent a week at the Grand Hotel St Michel. It's been redecorated recently in a modern style as I can't abide those fusty old Paris hotels with pink roses on the wallpaper.

http://www.hotel-saintmichel-paris.com/

It's conveniently located 5 minutes from the RER Luxembourg stop, 2 minutes to the Pantheon, 5 to Rue Mouffetard and hundreds of restaurants within a few minutes in any direction.

Also, the AC was cold rather than the gentle warm breeze so much AC is in Europe! ;^)
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 07:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Dauphine looks good---haven't stayed there, but know the area.

Here's one we have stayed at right near The Odeon. Just a few steps from all the action.

http://www.relaismedicis.com/

One of our favorite restaurants, "Marco Polo", (Yes, it's Italian, but you can't eat French every night) is just steps away.

The people at the desk arevery nice and helpful in every way.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. I tend to get paralysis by analysis and I'm afraid that is what is happening right now. I literally cannot decide . . . After reading many reviews and looking at every photo gallery, I'm throwing another option into the mix:

Hotel le Bellechasse

Has anyone stayed here? It is a member of the small luxury hotel group and I tend to like those hotels. I can get a rate close to 200 Euros/night, but it is prepaid and non-cancelable so I want to be 100% sure of my decision. It is very near the Musee D'Orsay - is that a good location for restaurants and cafes?

Sorry to keep beating a dead horse here - I just have not found the "perfect" place to stay in Paris in my past visits and I want to this time.

p.s. I'm going to Marco Polo for dinner no matter where I end up staying!