Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me choose between these two hotels in Paris

May 24th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi-

I will be with my Mom in Paris for 3 nights in October (you can look forward to "My Big Fat Fortieth Birthday in France" trip report when I return).

Anyway, I'm trying to find us accommodations for under $200 per night. As this is only $130 euro per night, choices are limited.

I've narrowed it down to these two:
Hotel Familia:
http://www.hotel-paris-familia.com/
We can have a deluxe twin room with balcony and street view for 124 euro per night, breakfast included. Located in the 5th.

or

Hotel du Cygne
http://www.hotelducygne.fr/
This one is 130 euro per night, no view, no breakfast, but it is in a prime location in the 1st.

This will not be my first trip to Paris, but it will be my Mom's. I've stayed mostly in the 18th in weekly apartment rentals, but want to stay as central as possible since it's her first time there and our days are limited. We may also have one night at the end of the week back in Paris.

I've read the reviews for both already on Trip Advisor.

So, any recommendations as to which would be better given location and price?

Thanks!
May 24th, 2008, 11:56 AM

The Hotel Familia is just fine. My sister stayed there a few years back. Only comment is the streetview room could be noisey at night. The location is good though.
May 24th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Hi Kristina,

Happy early birthday! Really early, I will find you closer to October to repeat my birthday wish.

Our last time in Paris we stayed in the 5th and really enjoyed it (Hotel Saint Jacques).

Liz
May 24th, 2008, 12:30 PM

I have known several people who swear by the Familia.
May 24th, 2008, 12:45 PM

i would like to recommend to you another hotel, on av.de la Motte Pique, 10 minutes walk from Tour Eiffel, same street with Ecole Militaire, Hotel Tourisme Tour Eiffel , where you can have a room for only 90 euros (must pay extra for breakfast). The Metro Grenelle is just in front of the hotel, there are some restaurants. Find it if you want on http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75015tourisme.htm
I stayed there for a week, the rooms are ok, recently renovated, and is so easy to reach every location in Paris by Metro .
May 24th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Kristina,

I prefer the first option, Hotel Familia. It looks lovely and I much prefer staying in the 5th, rather than the 1st. However, I think that you have many options in your price range and you may want to explore these that I like:

1. Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, (5th)(135E) www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com. It is beautiful and just off the market street, rue Mouffetard.

2. Hotel de Nesle (5th) (55-100E) www.hoteldenesleparis.com....eccentric and intriguing decor.

3. Hotel Chopin (9th) (90-100E) www.hotel-chopin.com.....enter through the historic Passage Jouffroy.

4. Hotel Eldorado (17th) (50-80E)...www.eldoradohotel.fr (at least check the website, I LOVE it!) very textured neighborhood.

5. Hotel Utrillo (18th) (85-90E) www.hotel-paris-utrillo.com.... in the Montmartre area.

6. Mystery! Hotel Particulier Montmartre (18th) at 23 rue Junot. It is so beautiful that it is probably very expensive, but I love it....hint----They did not give the rates. (eek!)...but I would LOVE to stay there if in Montmartre.

I don't mean to complicate your life, but there are indeed many lovely hotels in your price range and, lower. Of your 2 selections, I like the first, Hotel Familia, very much. Like you, I usually rent an apartment. These are just a few selections of places that I might stay if there for only a week or two. Particularily, Hotel des Grandes Ecoles (get a ground floor room with the french doors opening to the garden) and the mysterious Hotel Particulier Montmartre...it is so beautiful.

2. Hotel de Nesle (5th)
May 24th, 2008, 01:08 PM

I looked once again at Hotel Familia and it is great. Beautiful decor, excellent price and the neighborhood is very walkable. You are close to so much, the Cluny Museum, the market at Place Maubert (Tues/Thurs/Sat), Luxembourg Gardens, not that far from the Seine etc. etc. The only one on my list that I think you might like, Hotel des Grandes Ecoles, is perhaps not quite as 'walkable'.
May 24th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.

Liz- Thanks for the early b-day wish. We keep going to the same places don't we? Have fun in Italy!
So did you like the St Jacques? When did you stay there and would you stay again for $210 a night? I had already emailed them yesterday, and they have a room available but it's 137 euro per night and I really have to cut off the cost somewhere. It's just creeping up and up...

michelle_constantin-thanks for the recommendation. The hotel looks ok, but it's a little far out of the area we want to be in for this trip.

CopperandJade-Thanks for the recs. I usually rent an apartment too, but that's turning out to be next to impossible for just 3 nights. The Grandes Ecoles looks ok, but is also edging out of my budget.
The Nestle is certainly interesting, but probably too eclectic for Mom's taste. The others are a bit far from center.

So far it seems like everyone likes the Familia. One of my concerns is that it's only near one metro line, the 10. The du Cygne has more metro and RER options. But, I really do like a "room with a view" so I'm leaning toward the Familia as well.
May 24th, 2008, 03:29 PM

We liked the Hotel Saint Jacques, but I think the Familia looks great! Good price, includes a balcony, breakfast, great neighborhood-- go for it!

We leave on Tuesday for Amalfi Coast/Rome-- back to packing!
May 24th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Don't forget about buses - they are good for augmenting your transportation options.
May 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM

I don't think the Hotel du Cygne has a lift, if it matters to you.
May 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM

We stayed at Hotel Familia in 2004 and thought it was great. We had 2 rooms, both of which had views of Notre Dame. The rooms were small, but that didn't matter much because we were hardly there. The hotel came highly recommended from a number of people we knew personally, and it did not disappoint.
May 24th, 2008, 07:14 PM

" . . . but it is in a prime location in the 1st"

I'd personally prefer to stay just about anyplace in the 5th over anyplace in the 1st. (Well, I WOULD love to stay at the Ritz or Meurice - but they are bit above my pay grade )

The location of the Familia is great . . . .
May 27th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Well, I'd almost booked the Familia. Then I found a one bedroom apartment in the 4th on Rue Cerisaie for 130 euro per night, all in. Looks really nice too. I like the thought of having more space for essentially the same price.

What's a girl to do?

Thoughts on the new location?

Hmmm...since we'll be back in Paris for 2 nights at the end of the trip, maybe we can stay at the Familia then...
May 30th, 2008, 10:13 AM

bookmarking
May 30th, 2008, 10:54 AM

Could someone explain 1st vs 5th?
May 30th, 2008, 11:06 AM

The 1st is somewhat more classical and staid. (But it depends on which street -- for example, the Les Halles area is far from staid.) The 5th is slightly less classical and pretty noisy due to young crowds and also massive tourist traffic.
May 30th, 2008, 12:57 PM

fieldtripcoordinator: Paris is divided into districts - 1st, 2nd, . . . . 8th, 9th and so forth

This map shows them http://www.parisnet.com/parismap.html
May 30th, 2008, 04:33 PM

Thank you, janisj!
May 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I have stayed in the 1st( as well as the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th) .
The 1st is boring at night, we always had to walk over to the 4th, 5th or 6th to find some fun places to eat.There are of course some places in the 1st, but not alot, and we found them generally more costly. We just found the 1st a bit dull. The 6th is my favorite area, not quite as busy as some parts of the 5th, but not as quiet as the 1st or 7th .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO