Hotel Sainte Beuve-- recommend?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Sainte Beuve? Would you recommend it? We are a family of five and are looking for a good hotel well located that can handle our size (this hotel has connecting rooms).

Thanks.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 07:15 PM

We stayed there two years ago on our last night in Paris. We dropped our rental car off in the neighborhood. Price was great compared to where we stayed earlier in the trip. We had a room which obviously had been freshly remodeled. Depends on where in Paris you want to be. It's not in that cozy little area off the Seine like d'Aubusson, but MUCH less expensive.

Staff was helpful too. Lots of nice restaurants nearby but a busier, noisier area than near the Seine also.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:25 AM

We stayed at the Sainte-Beuve several years and liked it very much. The room, although small, (what else is new?) was spotless and comfortable; the bathroom was also spotless and had excellent toiletries (slippers and robes, too). Staff were particularly helpful. The Jardins du Luxembourg are a short walk away as are the metro, bus lines, bistros and restaurants. This hotel is located on a small sidestreet so street noise was at a minimum. We loved it.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

muskoka, thank you for your review! Were there places to pick up breakfast? Breakfast seems quite expensive at the hotel, especially for a family of five. Did you walk to many of the sites from the hotel? It is a little further than I had originally wanted so I am concerned as to how long it will take to walk to the Louvre, for example (I see that the metro is very convenient, but we would love to walk as much as possible).
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

hoping to travel, thank you also for your review. Interesting that you and muskoka disagree about the noise. Maybe it was a matter of which rooms you each had?

Any recommendation for restaurants? We will have our three children with us, but they usually are well behaved and will try any type of food (my husband is the pickest of our bunch).
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:32 AM

jeanned: If I remember correctly, there is a terrific little Indo-Pakistani restaurant on the same street as well as any number of restos about a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel.

Our room faced the street and we were able to leave the windows open most of the time. Saturday nights were a little bit noisy (and I can hear grass grow) - we were not bothered. We just returned from 3 weeks in France, staying at Hotel Lutece on Ile Saint-Louis; the street noise was incredible in comparison, however, we were in Paris

We took either the bus to the Opera, etc., or the metro or walked, although the main attractions, apart from the Luxembourg Gardens, were too far for us to walk to. For others it may be just fine. Try Google Earth: it will show you exactly where you will be staying and where the main sights are located. The hop-on/hop-off bus is also an excellent way to see the city and to jump off wherever you like.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:35 AM

Forgot to add that the hotel breakfast is expensive. There are a zillion cafes and a fine small grocery store where you can enjoy breakfast while people-watching or just purchase what you like.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:38 AM

I stayed there in December and highly recommend it. Staff is great, very nice rooms, recently redone bathrooms. Beautiful lounge. Well regarded Le Timbre restaurant is just down the street. Great place!
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM

To clarify on noise, I just meant the general area of Montparnasee (sp) has more traffic etc. We were there on a Saturday night also, and I'm a light sleeper. I don't remember street noise really keeping me awake. May have gone to bed early to get up at 5 a.m. or so.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 01:36 PM

I haven't stayed there but usually stay in that vicinity and know the area well. There is not more traffic there than near the Seine. Near the Seine can be Indy 500 (if you are right along it). It depends on specific addresses and locations to make these kind of statements. Montparnasse does not have more traffic on small sidestreets, either, but it does on the big ones.

You can find places to eat literally anywhere in central Paris, so don't worry about that at all. All hotel breakfasts are fairly expensive, but not always for what you get compared to a cafe. Of course, it will be cheaper if you don't go to a cafe but just buy a roll for takeout or somethign at a bakery. But cafe breakfasts are not cheap, either.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Quick question for those who have stayed at this hotel:

does it have free wifi and is there a mini refrigerator in the room? I have sent an email to the hotel, but did not receive a response.

Thanks.
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 04:47 PM

There is a mini-fridge in the room. Can't remember about the Wi-Fi, however, the website should tell you that.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Muskoka, thanks for letting me know about the mini refrigerator. I plan to keep some yougart, fruit and juice in the room so they children can have a bite to eat prior to picking up a croissant.

The web site doesn't mention wifi which makes me think that they either don't have it or charge for it. I noticed that most hotels advertized free wifi.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 04:20 PM

jeanned: A quick google search shows "WiFi in the rooms."

Have a great stay!