Hotel Muguet in Paris 7th, query

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am seeking comments from anyone who has stayed in the Hotel Muguet near Invalides. My first choice hotel (a return trip) has gone up in price so much I am seeking similar attributes: to me, quiet is very necessary, and quick walk to metro. Muguet has references to its peacefulness, but is it really? Many 2-star hotels are more than satisfactory, but I don't want to stay in a madhouse for 7 nights!

And if anyone seeks first-hand info on the Tryp de Saxe, a 3-star near UNESCO and quiet as a tomb, I will be happy to respond.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Hi Micki,

The Muguet is on a quiet street. If you have any concerns about street noise you can request a room overlooking the courtyard. It's a lovely hotel. When I stayed at the Muguet I noted quite a few business travelers at breakfast. There was no loud noise any time within the hotel and the street was always quiet whenever we walked along it (morning, evening, night).

I can't remember how far the metro was but not more than a few minutes. There are lots of restaurants in the area and I felt quite safe always.

I would highly recommend the Muguet for lovers of the 7th.

adrienne
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 11:10 AM

I stayed at the Muguet a couple months ago and had a room overlooking what I think they call the courtyard (which wasn't a real courtyard to me, just an interior space). It was quiet, but I had the windows closed. I think it will be as quiet as most hotels, to some extent luck of the draw as to potentially noisy neighbors, I suppose. I didn't have that problem myself.

It is a very short walk to either of two metro stops, only a couple blocks each direction (Ecole Militaire and Latour Maubourg).
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 11:58 AM

Very quiet street, double paned windows if you do happen to be on the front (where the larger rooms are), very quiet clientele. 2 blocks to each Metro stop OR 5 bus lines.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, Adrienne, Christina and Gretchen, for your comments. I will confidently cancel my more expensive reservation and will amend my Muguet reservation to get a courtyard-side room. Have you discovered any restaurants you particularly enjoyed close by the Muguet? In the past I have always had a list but tossed it away because eating in Paris anywhere was sheer delight.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Quiet, plain, quite clean. Close to Metro as an earlier post stated, residential area. Depends on what you like-if you like Mariotts, Sheratons, etc., you'll find Muguet a little depressing; if you simply seek a quiet, well located, clean room with minimum services, its a good deal.
I think I'm in the minority in my opinion on Muguet. I didn't care for it.
Mark
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 01:11 PM

We stayed at the Muguet for 5 nights in June. It is very clean, quiet, and professionally operated. Metro stops are very close and has aleady been mentioned, lots of restaurants, as well as a nice market on Rue Cler. Tour Eiffel is within walking distance, as are many other sites. I can't think of a reason you would be disappointed, unless you were looking for something more upscale. Our room was a decent size, (elevator available), w/AC & cable TV, and a good sized bath. Enjoy!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 02:06 PM

I think it's a good value for a 2* hotel, is not by any means deluxe, but you seem to be aware of that rating level.

I didn't actually dine a lot around there, to be honest. I did have a lunch or brunch once at the large cafe in front of the Latour Maubourg stop (La Source, perhaps), and that's a nice cafe. I was only there a couple nights. I think I had breakfast once in this cafe on rue Cler at rue Champ du Mars, but that was nothing special and the place was kind of dirty, so I didn't like the ambience that well and wouldn't recommend it. It's okay for a cup of coffee, I guess.

I went to Joel Robuchon's new place one night to meet friends but that's over near the Bac metro. I liked it a lot (called L'Atelier and in the ground floor of Hotel Pont Royal). It's more around 40-50 euro per person with wine, which is pretty cheap for him, actually. It's kind of fun but you have to get there early as there are no reservations and want kind of a hip trendy vibe. They were very nice there, however.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 03:46 PM

Hi Micki,
We stayed at the Muguet this past July and enjoyed it. It was quiet. We had dinner at "Le Florimond" and "La Fontaine de Mars" The hotel made the reservations for us before we arrived in Paris. I had hear that these bistros are very popular. Both were delicious and cost about 40USD per person with wine. You can eaily walk to these places. You will enjoy both. There is a neighborhood bistro on La Motte Picquet near the Ecole Militare, I think it is #7. It has a $4.00 breakfast and a good informal dinner for about $25. No reservations are needed here. Have a great itme.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 04:50 PM

We stayed at the Muguet in June and found it just lovely--I think far better than the usual 2 star. It was quiet, well-located and I will return. My kids went 2 weeks ago and also loved it. Go for it.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:39 PM

Micki, please share your opinion about hotel Tryp de Saxe.

Thanks.