Renaissance London Gatwick or Le Meridian

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one would you choose for a one night stay. One is a little cheaper but a lot cheaper in Canadian dollars. The Gatwick Renaissance with shuttle or Le Meridian at the airport.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 10:24 AM

Funny Maxine I just recommended the Meridien to you on your other thread for Gatwick (and a Renaissance hotel for London LOL). So I'm confused now. Is the Belmont place for in London?

I don't know the Renaissance at gatwick. I'd say it depends what time your flight leaves. If it's very early, spring for the extra convenience (but do make sure you are leaving from the same terminal that the hotel is connected to because otherwise, you'll end up having to take transport anyway). Also, you should amke sure you get the very best price. We paid 100 GBP less than the going rate at that time by booking thru lastminute.com. I don't think there's any need to book now for 1 night in Setp. unless you think the rate is fab.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

I guess I've asked two separate questions two times. I didn't see my question the first time so I posted it again. Thanks so much for the advice about the terminals. We are staying there for one night on our way to Prague and again coming back for 3 nights before we leave for home. We are going in and out of Gatwick both times. I found the Belmont in Gatwick reasonable for staying for 3 nights and wanted to know if anyone has stayed there before but coming into Gatwick the first time we will be jetlagged and want to make it as easy as possible for my husband. The Renaissance has a shuttle and is cheaper than the Le Meridian and seems just as easy to get onto the shuttle as to walk from the terminal to the Le Meridian.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:02 AM

The Renaissance is fine- have stayed there twice. Had a nice meal in their restaurant as well.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:49 AM

I've stayed at Le Meridien and at Hotel Arora International Gatwick in the last year. Both were priceline.com purchases for $ 78, plus tax. Meridien has a great pool and TV's that show airline checkin info. The Arora has a free shuttle and takes 15 minutes. Delta employees stay there and the rooms were quite large by European standards. I liked both and for the price, was thrilled.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:50 AM

Maxine,
If I were arriving and departing from the South Terminal and had to choose amongst the 2 Gatwick airport hotels ( Hilton & Le Meridian ) or the Renaissance based only location, the Hilton would win . You can walk from the terminal into the Hilton lobby.
I've never stayed at the Gatwick Le Meridian, but have taken a look at the room prices.
I stayed at the Gatwick Renaissance in 2003 & 2002 on the night before I was to fly home to the US.
And in other years I have stayed at the Gatwick Hilton. The Hilton rooms and the Renaissance rooms were comparable. The Hilton restaurants and the Renaissance restaurants are comparable.

As for price, I find the Renaissance to be the best, especially on weekends. I've not taken the shuttle from the airport to the hotel, because a friend drove me to the hotel.
I have taken the shuttle from the hotel to the airport on the morning of my flight. The cost is £1 per person.
The shuttle picks up at one other nearby hotel before it continues on to the airport.
It is a short ride ,the shuttle stops first at the South terminal and then at the North terminal.

If you are going to count on a shuttle to get you from wherever you decide to stay, be sure to check what time the service begins in the mornin
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:57 AM

Just to keep the facts straight..I meant to say that one can walk to the Hilton from the airport via a covered walkway.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:57 PM

To find any and all previous posts you participated in (whether you started them or not) click onto your screen name at the upper left & those threads will load on the left. Or...to find ones on a particular board-like Europe-type your screen name into the "search this forum" box & click find.

Now, more importantly, you're gonna stay at Gatwick for 3 days??? Why??? If it's a money issue, consider a Priceline bid for London. Read biddingfortravel.com to find out the ins & outs fo Priceline.